2018 National Sport Launch (NSL)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah sometimes a get little too excited on the 'ol forum. I'm sure you'll have a great time at NSL. As I'm also sure that whatever range rules are implemented by MARS at Geneseo are designed for the greater good of flyers, spectators, landowner, and neighbors. It's a tall order keeping everybody happy sometimes.

I had a fantastic time flying with MARS back in 2012, I'm excited to be going this year.

Sounds like you flying a midpower (e, f, g) rocket?. Near where your current launch lug is spaced around 6" apart will do.

Yes, I've got quite a few mid-power rockets that I typically launch on my own using a 1/4" rod. I'll be honest I am a bit hesitant about drilling holes in my rockets but I came across conformal rail guides on the Apogee website; being able to simply glue them on is really nice. Are they a good option for mid-power stuff like Estes ProSeries II kits?

Can't wait! If all goes well I should be able to certify L3 out there. Just need to get my initial plans finalized and my L3CC together

Yes, I've got quite a few mid-power rockets that I typically launch on my own using a 1/4" rod. I'll be honest I am a bit hesitant about drilling holes in my rockets but I came across conformal rail guides on the Apogee website; being able to simply glue them on is really nice. Are they a good option for mid-power stuff like Estes ProSeries II kits?
Yeah, I've used those. I prefer buttons personally but those will work fine.

I personally put one railbutton at the motor mount and one at the CG, but other people will tell you different methods.

See you at NSL!

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've used those. I prefer buttons personally but those will work fine.

I personally put one railbutton at the motor mount and one at the CG, but other people will tell you different methods.

See you at NSL!

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

CG changes with every motor. You mean the CP?

Everyone,

Lots of discussion on What we use for launch rods and rails. We do have a 1/4" rod, but it is primarily for saucers and pyramids. No flight off the 1/4" rod can go over 800'. We have to be concerned about rod whip because of planes on the field...especially Whiskey 7 and the Movie Memphis Belle, which often sit outside the hangar. We strongly encourage you not to fly off the 1/4" rod unless you are flying a saucer or a pyramid. Vendors will have rail buttons of various sizes available.

These are the rods and rails we will have available:
1/8" rod A-C
3/16" rod C-E
1/4" rod (only one which is set up right before a launch then removed afterward) - set up at the HPR (H-J) distance
micro rails for micro buttons C-E
mini rails for mini buttons D-F
1010 rail - There are a couple 1010's set up at the LPR distance as well as the HPR (F-K)
1515 rail - K-M
Struts L-N

Also as a reference our distances to pads from the flightline are approx. 10% greater than NAR guidelines. There will be essentially 4 rows: 1 - LPR/MPR, 2 - HPR H-J, 3 - HPR K, 4 - HPR L&M. For N flights we will tow "the Beast" (our hydraulic away cell which is on wheels) out to the N distance from the L&M pads.

Can't wait! If all goes well I should be able to certify L3 out there. Just need to get my initial plans finalized and my L3CC together

Good luck.

Regarding Certifications:
We are all set up for NAR L1 and L2 certs, and we will be administering NAR L2 Exams.

TRA L1's and L2's are dependent on time availability by any TRA Prefect or TAP that happens to attend. MARS is an NAR club only. We recognize TRA certifications and allow TRA members to fly, but the certification process through TRA is more difficult to be accomplished at our field. At this point, if you are planning to cert through TRA, we are certainly open to helping you facilitate the process, but cannot guarantee it is possible unless you are bringing your own TAPs and/or Prefects. If a Prefect is coming and is willing to administer the TRA L2 exam, we will make an announcement on the field.

There will be at least one CC/TAP on the field the entire weekend for an L3 Cert - You could have your CC coordinate with him to witness if necessary, otherwise it is easier to use the person who knows your rocket. If you do want to have this person CC your flight, message us and we will send you contact info. I an certain he is going to be very busy, so you should make arrangements sooner rather than later. He is very good at working from long distances provided you can take videos of any ground tests he requires and show a lot of build photos.

While I am here, shameless sales opportunity, Tshirts and hats are on sale in the NSL Store
layout-600.jpg

To [closely] quote the French king in 'The Holly Grail", and in my Parisian (not Quebequois) accent:

"Ay halready hordered one..."

:D

Everyone,

Lots of discussion on What we use for launch rods and rails. We do have a 1/4" rod, but it is primarily for saucers and pyramids. No flight off the 1/4" rod can go over 800'. We have to be concerned about rod whip because of planes on the field...especially Whiskey 7 and the Movie Memphis Belle, which often sit outside the hangar. We strongly encourage you not to fly off the 1/4" rod unless you are flying a saucer or a pyramid. Vendors will have rail buttons of various sizes available.

These are the rods and rails we will have available:
1/8" rod A-C
3/16" rod C-E
1/4" rod (only one which is set up right before a launch then removed afterward) - set up at the HPR (H-J) distance
micro rails for micro buttons C-E
mini rails for mini buttons D-F
1010 rail - There are a couple 1010's set up at the LPR distance as well as the HPR (F-K)
1515 rail - K-M
Struts L-N

Also as a reference our distances to pads from the flightline are approx. 10% greater than NAR guidelines. There will be essentially 4 rows: 1 - LPR/MPR, 2 - HPR H-J, 3 - HPR K, 4 - HPR L&M. For N flights we will tow "the Beast" (our hydraulic away cell which is on wheels) out to the N distance from the L&M pads.

This might help understand the layout.. LOTS of pads!
https://www.nar.org/site/nsl-2018/launch-site/range-layout/

We will have a couple of 1/4 rods that we can and will use if the flight is under 800 feet.
Lets face it guys rail guidance is the way to go, its 2018

Thank you both for all of the info!

EeebeeE, I sent you a PM with another launch equipment related question, I don't want to hijack the thread as my own personal Q&A session lol.

Thanks, St. John. I shot you back an answer. This is going to be a huge event.

One other thing.... Prizes are starting to roll in. Big Red Bee just sent us som really cool stuff. How about a 900 MHz GPS tracker and receiver with an LCD screen. Retails for $378. Some lucky rocketeer is going to win one. A couple others are going to win a 70cm 16mW transmitter with a battery and USB Interface. $85 for those packages. MARS has several on loan to fliers if you need and do not have one. We also have a couple $25 gift certificates.

Big Red Bee is the official Transmitter of NSL 2018.
BRB.jpg

We are expecting a shipment of Rocketman Parachutes shortly as well as some MARSA altimeters, and when we get more information about them, we will let you know. Only the best prizes for NSL fliers. So when you go to the NSL store to get t-shirts, hats, and other goodies, make sure you get plenty of raffle tickets.

Campers that do not plan on parking their self-contained RV at the field (tents are not allowed). I have been researching the nearby state parks through Reserve America (www.reserveamerica.com). Letchworth State Park is now full. You might try to call the park directly, but online there are no more campsites available. Stony Brook State Park, near Dansville, NY (about 25 minutes away) still has 21 camp sites available as of this evening if you want to reserve one. Darien Lakes State Park (30-35 minutes away) has 8. Keuka Lake State Park has 48 sites, but it is about an hour away. There are 2 KOA campgrounds within 45 minutes or so. There are 3 other private campgrounds (2 on Conesus Lake and one south of Mt. Morris) but you will need to call them directly.

There are still a few hotel rooms left. You can visit the NSL hotels page https://www.nar.org/site/nsl-2018/host-hotel/nearby-accommodations/ for information.

Our advice is to book early. This is the first unofficial weekend of summer and this area has a lot of tourist attractions. Lots of wineries, hills, lakes, and some spectacular views, so accommodations fill up fast.

Let's do some food trash talkin'....

In this area we have the finest junkfood and bar cuisine in the world. On your way in, you gotta have some. What do we have?

In Buffalo, we have Duff's Buffalo Wings...Anchor Bar may be the original...but Duff's perfected the recipe. Geneseo is closer to Rochester than Buffalo, but Rochester has some decent wings as well. I think the Anchor Bar in Rochester is still open. But if you are a true connoisseur, you have to go to Duff's.
Duffs Wings.jpg

Buffalo also has Mighty Taco... The worst and best thing for you after a night on the town at 1 AM. Mighty Taco has a cult following, and there is a Mighty in Rochester.
Mighty Taco.jpg

Rochester, you absolutely MUST try to get down a hotdog or cheeseburger garbage plate at Nick Tahous. Several other restaurants serve them as "plates" but you can only get a "garbage plate" (TM) at Nick Tahous. Make sure you get a good serving of meat hot sauce...and pick up some Maalox after you leave.
Garbage Plate.jpg

Rochester and Syracuse both have excellent Barbecue restaurants. Dinosaur BBQ is based in Syracuse but there is a location in downtown Rochester. My preference, however is Sticky Lips BBQ. Get their Memphis Dry Rub.
Dinosaur BBQ.jpgSticky Lips BBQ.jpg

A bunch of area restaurants in Rochester are serving "Loaded Tater Tots." Mmm. What is better for you than a healthy serving of Carbs and Cholesterol, topped with Meat Hot Sauce.
Tots.jpg

For those of you coming through Binghamton and Elmira, you need to get some Spiedes (pronounced "Speedys"). Spiedes are chicken, ham, or beef cubes that are deep marinated for at least 24 hours, then grilled on kebobs over an open flame. Mmm. Mmm. They are served on a hoagie bun.
Spiedes.jpg

So pick your poison, and happy eating. Then realize that you aren't just looking for a rocket...you're working off all that good food you ate.

The important question is, can I get a good beef on weck with real horseradish (not horseradish sauce) in the Geneseo area?
You might be able to make your own by getting the buns, horseradish, and roast beef at the Geneseo Wegmans. I say you might because with my high blood pressure, I cannot handle the buns. You can certainly get Beef on a Weck in Buffalo and in Rochester.

To [closely] quote the French king in 'The Holly Grail", and in my Parisian (not Quebequois) accent:

"Ay halready hordered one..."

:D

Then I will not fart in your general direction.

Check out this map. 2.5 months until NSL and we already have 70 registrations. Look...if a flier can drive from Colorado, another flier can drive from Texas or Florida. Everyone south of the Mason-Dixon...it is really nice this time of year.

NSL Who's Coming.jpg

Back