2018 National Sport Launch (NSL)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_9920.jpgA little overcast, but at least that made it a little cooler :)

Field is very nice - good area to park, launch and recover.

Some pictures of the field, the guests of honor, and some rockets on display.

Attachments

• IMG_9913.jpg
    IMG_9913.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9914.jpg
    IMG_9914.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9937.jpg
    IMG_9937.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9955.jpg
    IMG_9955.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9956.jpg
    IMG_9956.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_9965.jpg
    IMG_9965.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_9974.jpg
    IMG_9974.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 106
IMG_9918.jpgIMG_9947.jpgIMG_9940.jpgIMG_9922.jpgIMG_9962.jpgIMG_9941.jpgIMG_9933.jpgIMG_9963.jpgIMG_9946.jpgIMG_9934.jpgSome action photos

A Der Red Max taking off, an M flight from a far pad (a Thumper I believe), a Der Red Max on an M, didn't catch the name of the next one, another M (Hmm..did not come out in the order listed).

Pictures of my fleet that made the trip, a couple launches of them and my brothers.

We'll see if the weather holds for Sunday.

IMG_9911.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

IMG_9928.jpg

IMG_9953.jpg

IMG_9969.jpg

IMG_9971.jpg

Need help finding my lost rocket. It was the green and black loc nuke pro Maxx. It has an orange chute. My GPS didn't work and I couldn't track it, but I think it went East of the launch area. My phone number is in it so I would really appreciate a call if anyone happens to see it.

Need help finding my lost rocket. It was the green and black loc nuke pro Maxx. It has an orange chute. My GPS didn't work and I couldn't track it, but I think it went East of the launch area. My phone number is in it so I would really appreciate a call if anyone happens to see it.
A rocket with a phone number was found & brought back to the LCO table around 4:00 IIRC- it might have been announced while you were out looking.

A rocket with a phone number was found & brought back to the LCO table around 4:00 IIRC- it might have been announced while you were out looking.

I was the one who found that one and brought it in. It wasn't mine. I ended up finding the guy who owned it out looking he went in to get it. Thanks for replying though.

I (we) found another rocket next to the gravel access road leaving the launch site. We left it on the side of the road knowing that it would only be exposed to modelers leaving the site. Jdog13’s rocket was found in a ditch on the paved roadway east of the field. I thought that if I left it on the side of the road it could get run over or picked up.

I chose not to return to the launch site and continue heading home with the full intent of finding the owner. I found out who owned the rocket when I got home and immediately contacted Jdog. We are in the process on making return arrangements.

I (we) found another rocket next to the gravel access road leaving the launch site. We left it on the side of the road knowing that it would only be exposed to modelers leaving the site. Jdog13’s rocket was found in a ditch on the paved roadway east of the field. I thought that if I left it on the side of the road it could get run over or picked up.

I chose not to return to the launch site and continue heading home with the full intent of finding the owner. I found out who owned the rocket when I got home and immediately contacted Jdog. We are in the process on making return arrangements.

Not sure how I feel about this. How did you know that Jdog wasn't tracking his rocket instead of assuming it was "lost?" It is a big launch event, so there are rockets laying all over the place in varying states of recovery. Ok, you were trying to be a good samaritan, but the rocket probably should have been returned to the range head, not taken to another country! This is none of my business, of course, but I would be happy yet irritated with this situation.

At MWP, I was happily tracking my rocket for a mile, walking in open farmland, when all of a sudden the GPS coordinates started moving! I hurried to the spot where the rocket should have been in the middle of an empty field, and saw a dude walking about 100 yards away with my rocket wadded up under his arm. I yelled, he stopped, and I politely told him to leave it be. He said he planned to "put it by the road." Hmmm.

If is is launch day and I come upon a rocket, I don't touch it, especially if the electronics are beeping.

Was able to get 3 up - A Formula 38 on a G33, one rocket on a redline (I600) and a different one on a J.

Great time - looking forward to making a visit again in the future.

Oh - if anyone happened to find a Jolly Logic Altimeter 2 on the right side of the field between the high power pads and the tilled part of the field, let me know. It came off its attachment point. I know it is a longshot - but you never know!

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_9988.jpg

Not sure how I feel about this. How did you know that Jdog wasn't tracking his rocket instead of assuming it was "lost?" It is a big launch event, so there are rockets laying all over the place in varying states of recovery. Ok, you were trying to be a good samaritan, but the rocket probably should have been returned to the range head, not taken to another country! This is none of my business, of course, but I would be happy yet irritated with this situation.

At MWP, I was happily tracking my rocket for a mile, walking in open farmland, when all of a sudden the GPS coordinates started moving! I hurried to the spot where the rocket should have been in the middle of an empty field, and saw a dude walking about 100 yards away with my rocket wadded up under his arm. I yelled, he stopped, and I politely told him to leave it be. He said he planned to "put it by the road." Hmmm.

If is is launch day and I come upon a rocket, I don't touch it, especially if the electronics are beeping.

I used to feel that way, but it really depends on the place where the rocket is found and any instructions on the outside of the rocket. I’ve seen many instances where someone has found a rocket and come back and informed the LCO, and the rocket cannot be found again for some reason.
In one instance the person who found the rocket told the LCO to have the owner contact him for the gps coordinates. That connection was never made.
I’ve been in places where the wheat or corn is so thick that unless you’re standing on it you cannot see it. Three feet away, impossible to see.
So, I’ve changed my mind slightly. Here’s my own personal guidelines, not to be taken as anything other than my opinion.
First, all rockets should have contact information and finders instructions attached to every piece. “If found, leave laying and contact Steve Shannon” or “If found please return to LCO and notify Steve Shannon”
If I find a rocket hidden in tall vegetation that has no name visible, I’ll gauge my actions based on the mood at the launch. Last week at LDRS, several rockets were lost in the tall wheat. A rocket found in that field and brought back to the registration table was a welcome sight.
On the other hand, if I were flying at Hellfire or Black Rock, someplace where you could see the rocket easily from quite a ways away, I would mark it on my GPS, and then write down the coordinates and provide them to the LCO. I’ve even taken pictures and forwarded them with coordinates.
In this case, the rocket was found and the owner seems happy. Seems like a win to me.

Last edited:
A burning rocket on the pad and some M's

Picture 1 & 2 are of my Aerobee 150. What I cant figure out; "is why shortly after what appears to be a straight lift off, the rocket started tilting to the right side". The only thing I found out of the ordinary, was when I was cleaning the motor, the nozzle had some heave ash residue build-up on one side in the nozzle throat that I had to dislodge during clean up. Any one have any other ideas? The motor used was a Loki M2550 Blue that had plenty of thrust and the rocket CG was almost two full calipers ahead of the CP, loaded.

In any case, the rocket was safely recovered about 200 yards from the far end of the runway, about 10 feet into the bean field. The nose cone, extraction chute, and main chute free bag was recovered about 200' into the bean field, on the opposite side of the runway.

Also, the launch was masterfully run and I believe all who attended will agree. Hats off to the entire NSL team... Best launch I have attended in several years. :wave::wave:

In this case my GPS actually malfunctioned and I had no idea where it was. I left that day thinking my rocket was gone, but was happily surprised that someone had it. Also, he was photographig every rocket that day so he probably remembered when that launched and it was sitting out for quite a while.

Hindsight is always 20/20. It was a very long day for me, left home at 4:45 in the morning to pick up two friends and head to my first NSL launch. I had three appointments on Sunday and really wanted to get back. After stumbling across the rocket, I made a split second decision and decided to carry on with the full intentions of finding the owner. Very fortunately I saw a posting on the forum as soon as I got home. Jdog13 has been very understanding and he WILL get his rocket back. Second guessing is easy now.

Hindsight is always 20/20. It was a very long day for me, left home at 4:45 in the morning to pick up two friends and head to my first NSL launch. I had three appointments on Sunday and really wanted to get back. After stumbling across the rocket, I made a split second decision and decided to carry on with the full intentions of finding the owner. Very fortunately I saw a posting on the forum as soon as I got home. Jdog13 has been very understanding and he WILL get his rocket back. Second guessing is easy now.

No second guessing required. The scenario turned out just as you planned - the rocket was indeed lost, the owner was contacted, and the return is in progress.

I am merely pointing out that such a deed may not be appreciated if the rocket is not lost, the owner wants to track it, special handling is needed, or if the owner needs to inspect the rocket landing condition. None of these things are known to a passerby, so I error on the side of caution.

Steve has some good advice above.

Back