First Mid Power-- Update, Launched 9/9/17!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otimebomb

Reaction score
I've always loved doing rockets. I think from the time I was 10 to the time I could drive I built and flew a ton! My boys are now 5 and 6, and we have about 7 low power rockets. We went to the Tripoli MN event a few weeks back, and were really impressed by the bigger rockets. I stopped in my local hobby store over the weekend, and they had an Estes Argnet on clearance for $25.00!

I have it pretty much ready to go as far as the externals, and primed. I'll be laying the colors soon, I'm going with orange, black, and white. I'm not going to use the kit supplied shock cord, chute, or 3 layer fold deal you glue in, I have some other ideas for that. I also picked up a Jolly Logic chute release just for fun, I think they are pretty cool. (Sure stick $125 worth of electronics into a $25 rocket, smart guy right? :lol: )

I've always loved doing rockets. I think from the time I was 10 to the time I could drive I built and flew a ton! My boys are now 5 and 6, and we have about 7 low power rockets. We went to the Tripoli MN event a few weeks back, and were really impressed by the bigger rockets. I stopped in my local hobby store over the weekend, and they had an Estes Argnet on clearance for $25.00!

I have it pretty much ready to go as far as the externals, and primed. I'll be laying the colors soon, I'm going with orange, black, and white. I'm not going to use the kit supplied shock cord, chute, or 3 layer fold deal you glue in, I have some other ideas for that. I also picked up a Jolly Logic chute release just for fun, I think they are pretty cool. (Sure stick $125 worth of electronics into a $25 rocket, smart guy right? :lol: )

I have been at the past two Tripoli-MN launches. Had a "blast" both times. I will be at the next two launches. I am the big guy flying Estes Pro Series II rockets. Next time I will be flying with Pro Series II boosters. Feel free to stop by our tent and introduce yourself.

I have been at the past two Tripoli-MN launches. Had a "blast" both times. I will be at the next two launches. I am the big guy flying Estes Pro Series II rockets. Next time I will be flying with Pro Series II boosters. Feel free to stop by our tent and introduce yourself.
Sounds great, will do.

PSIIs are great! I'm working on 'enhancing' an Argent right now too (over in my "The Road to L2" thread. I just couldn't leave all that forward volume empty.

Gotta love that Rustoleum filler primer from Walmart!

You're gonna love the JLCR!!

2 things to conceder with it though: use a longer & stronger tether. Paint it bright orange (use the Dyno case!) or add a small 12" streamer to it. Loosing it hurts.. trust me!

You're gonna love the JLCR!!

2 things to conceder with it though: use a longer & stronger tether. Paint it bright orange (use the Dyno case!) or add a small 12" streamer to it. Loosing it hurts.. trust me!

Thanks for the info!

Painted the upper part last night, will paint the lower section within the next few days.
rocket2.jpg

I ordered a matching parachute from Spherachutes, it looks really nice, had it 3 days from ordering. Great service. rocketchute.jpg

All done! I got the bottom section finished this afternoon, and decal applied. I enjoy rockets that have names. I went through a couple but settled on Orange Orbiter. Took awhile to find a font that stood out, but I think this one works. I had my decal guy from racing cars make this for me, and a couple others for future projects at the same time.

Well here it is, along with my 6 year old rocket stand. :cool: Hopefully fly next weekend?

rocketdone.jpg

rocketdone2.jpg

looking good! so which one gets flown, the rocket or the stand? :)
Rex

Beautiful finish. I'm sure the up and down part will go just as well.

When is someone going to tell him that he can get his L1 with that? Pssst... H115DM...

I had never seen this rocket from estes before today so i had to look it up. sounds like you got a good deal on it.

I had never seen this rocket from estes before today so i had to look it up. sounds like you got a good deal on it.

The Pro Series II Builder kits are now collectibles and classics unfortunately. Leviathan, Ventris, Argent, Partizon, all gone now.

Keep that one safe Otimebomb!

Sahara and Panavia still available on Estes website - at least for now. I picked up one of each last time I placed a clearance bundle order - might need a couple more before they're gone...

I'm going to take it easy with it the first couple flights. I want to stay well under 1000 feet just to see how things go. The plan is to put the chute release on for the 2nd flight with a 300' deployment. Hopefully have good weather Saturday.

Hey, nothing wrong with low and slow! Great job on the paint and decal.

Back