Fun test for my APRA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
I wanted to test out my APRA altimeter. I read the booklet, and read how they recommend testing it. Well, I wanted to do something more interesting & exciting.
So, I got a 24mm tube, drilled air vents in it, got some toilet paper, and wrapped the altimeter in it with several air vents in it, giving it a soft cushion. I armed it, secured the tube, duct taped it to a parachute man, with a Estes 24 inch nylon parachute. I threw it up in the air, twice. The first time it went 15 feet, and the second time it went 20 feet.
I used a Estes Parachute man from the Estes Freefall kit, took off the 12 inch chute, and switched it with a nylon 24 incher. It was pretty fun, and it added some excitement to my boring Saturday afternoon. :)

Thanks,

Well that's a strange result. I thought the APRA has to go a minimum of 100 feet up before it actually starts working.

Well that's a strange result. I thought the APRA has to go a minimum of 100 feet up before it actually starts working.

Hmm, it appears so. Well, I guess it wasn't fully accurate. It seemed to be around 15-20 ft mark, but it may have gone a few feet over.
I'll test it in a small rocket, soon. I actually bought this for my 29mm MD rocket, which will fly on a F10. It should go about 6K, which would break the TRA F altitude record!! :)
Thanks,

Back