H268R Reload in a Monster Motors 29/360 Casing- Issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Tried to fit the reload into the Monster Motors 29/360 casing (blue)-the reload has a poly sleeve instead of the paper sleeve. It would not fit into the casing- I deburred the ends and lightly lubed the poly sleeve, but to no avail.

I also have an Aerotech 29/360 casing (black). It loaded without any snugness at all, and I'll use it for the launch.

I've used the blue Monster Motors casing for previous I200 reloads (which also have a poly sleeve) without any snugness issues.

Any thoughts? I'm fine with using I200 reloads in the future, but I'd like to know why my first attempt using the H268R would work in one manufacturer's casing, but not another's.

Mike Momenee
TRA #12430 L3

I'm going to measure it later today, after our launch at MIS in Brooklyn, MI. It isn't even close to fitting. So weird, because I have used it a number of times with the I200 reload with no problems.

Mike Momenee
TRA#12430 L3

I'm going to measure it later today, after our launch at MIS in Brooklyn, MI. It isn't even close to fitting. So weird, because I have used it a number of times with the I200 reload with no problems.

Mike Momenee
TRA#12430 L3

Mike, I would contact Aerotech, or the vendor you purchased from.

I had a similar problem with a 38/480 case from either Monster Motors or Gorilla... I have forgotten which. I had flown several reloads without issue, then tried putting an I59 in to find that the phenolic liner didn't fit. I was able to work out a replacement with the manufacturer (this was right around when AT bought back the rights), but it seems the tolerances are pretty tight and a few thou makes a big difference!

Sanding the liner can work, but I would suggest contacting AT about the issue. I believe they are honoring the licensee's warrantee.

-e

It has been a while, but I do remember sanding the phenolic liners to get them to fit in casings before. Mainly back in the 90s.

The worst is trying to test fit it, having it almost, and get stuck. Pretty much like a stuck liner when cleaning, except you still need to use the thing.

I have no experience with the Monster Motors 29/360 case, but about ten years ago I used the AeroTech 29/360 reloads in a cluster of 2 motors using Dr. Rocket 29/360 cases and the motors worked fine. The Dr. Rocket 29/360 cases along with the AeroTech reloads required a seal disk made for the 29 mm case.

I was going to get a belt sander anyway.....thanks to all for the feedback.

On the positive side, the H268R has some good kick to it, and flew my "CINEMA 3.5" nicely for it's retirement flight- it is TIRED of lugging around that old and oversized Aiptek camcorder that sticks out its side:

[video=youtube;6yIjhFGsrWQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yIjhFGsrWQ[/video]

Mike Momenee
TRA#12430 L3

Back