Show me your pyramids!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs

Reaction score
This is a 6" Pyramid from "Pyramid rockets"- I got the kit from someone here on the forum. 24mm motor mount. I found it was a little underpowered on D12-3, so here it is on a CTI E31WT

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503587481.849327.jpg

oddl_wedgie_01.jpgel_cheapo_pyramid02.jpgel_cheapo_pyramid01.jpg

The small one is an Oddl Wedgie. The other was made from a cardboard box. I cut a plywood square that fit near the top and drilled motor tube holes with hole saw bits. I think I even added a tad of nose weight before I fully understood the benefit of base drag. :bangpan: I hid the ugly edges with duct tape.

Here is a picture of the ORIGINAL pyramid rocket. To my knowledge, this is the very first pyramid rocket ever built

This launch was in my backyard, in Charlotte, NC, circa 1970

original pyramid flight.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the ORIGINAL pyramid rocket. To my knowledge, this is the very first pyramid rocket ever built

I dunno- I saw this documentary once where they showed how the pyramids in ancient Egypt were actually part of a space ship that aliens used to come down and enslave humans. I bet that was before your pyramid.

Great picture! Thanks for sharing! What motor was that on?

I dunno- I saw this documentary once where they showed how the pyramids in ancient Egypt were actually part of a space ship that aliens used to come down and enslave humans. I bet that was before your pyramid.

Great picture! Thanks for sharing! What motor was that on?

Well as fun as it might be to ponder ancient alien theories, I don't think model rocketry was part of the mythos.

This was the first pyramid model rocket, long, long before there were any kits. I didn't publish a plan for this pyramid model until 1981. Before then, I and a few of my friends were the only ones who had ever seen a pyramid rocket.

I honestly don't remember what motor I used - that was 47 years ago!!! Knowing me and knowing the "launch site", I would guess I used a B6-2

This one was flown at our Club launch last weekend. Foam pyramid on a CTI G53 White.

[video]https://youtu.be/xBXG-kDrVv0[/video]

Art Applewhite's Qubit's and related Stealths are basically pyramids with funky bottom edges.
P3120006.JPG

Cool. We will see if any other fossils come up will proof of an earlier one.

The gauntlet has been thrown! My vote would be on Bob Kaplow to have an older one- somewhere.

Well, I personally won't find anything older. I do bet, even if someone thinks they know of an older one, they will not have conclusive evidence :) And the memory is the 2nd thing to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Back