Who here is on the Texas coast?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lived in Houston a couple years back. Hope everyone down there is doing alright. My dad still works for the company based in Houston and a couple of his co-workers completely lost their homes.

Braden

Yes i don't even know how many homes are damaged but this is the fifth day of rescues and the rivers are getting close to cresting. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse.

Thank you to everyone who has / has tried to donate. The website is kind of slow and the admin said it might go in and out some due to the traffic.

Praying for the people facing Harvey's wrath.

My mom is on her way with Samaritan's Purse to help once the sale of her house closes. She's been to Florida, and N. Carolina with them to help with cleaning up after hurricanes and floods.

I'd never heard of H.E.B. until yesterday. Those guys (a TX based grocery store) have a disaster response team that includes a mobile kitchen to serve hot food. And from the looks of their convoy, a couple good size generators. They've already cleaned up, restocked and opened all their stores in the gulf coast and are giving out hot meals, water and ice.

https://food.blog.austin360.com/201...-h-e-b-but-especially-after-hurricane-harvey/

My company HQ is in Houston. They're on the 4th floor of a building so their offices are okay, but the first floor is flooded and the building is closed. They hope they'll be able to get back in after the holiday weekend. A few employees had to be rescued by boat and/or helicopter from their homes.

Stories like HEB, Mattress Mack, the Cajun Navy, and similar things we're seeing in the news make me optimistic that the people in the path of the massive devistation will ultimately be okay.

I'd never heard of H.E.B. until yesterday. Those guys (a TX based grocery store) have a disaster response team that includes a mobile kitchen to serve hot food. And from the looks of their convoy, a couple good size generators. They've already cleaned up, restocked and opened all their stores in the gulf coast and are giving out hot meals, water and ice.

https://food.blog.austin360.com/201...-h-e-b-but-especially-after-hurricane-harvey/

My company HQ is in Houston. They're on the 4th floor of a building so their offices are okay, but the first floor is flooded and the building is closed. They hope they'll be able to get back in after the holiday weekend. A few employees had to be rescued by boat and/or helicopter from their homes.

Stories like HEB, Mattress Mack, the Cajun Navy, and similar things we're seeing in the news make me optimistic that the people in the path of the massive devistation will ultimately be okay.

HEB is fantastic! Its one of the main things I miss about moving away. (Walmart? Kroger? Publix? pshhh).
I've heard some areas are draining, and others (around levies/bayous) are having new evac orders given.

I'm hoping that due attention is focused on the smaller communities like Rockport and Port Arthur, and now Louisiana regions too. Houston is a major focal point, but some of those other towns have been near-destroyed from surge and winds.

From someone that has friends and old classmates in that area, Thank you to all of you that have donated supplies, time, or funds to the relief!

HEB is fantastic! Its one of the main things I miss about moving away. (Walmart? Kroger? Publix? pshhh).
I've heard some areas are draining, and others (around levies/bayous) are having new evac orders given.

I'm hoping that due attention is focused on the smaller communities like Rockport and Port Arthur, and now Louisiana regions too. Houston is a major focal point, but some of those other towns have been near-destroyed from surge and winds.

From someone that has friends and old classmates in that area, Thank you to all of you that have donated supplies, time, or funds to the relief!

From the various info in the link I think HEB started in Rockport, got stores stocked and people fed, and then moved into Houston. Those guys are bad ass.

I hope the smaller towns get taken care of too. I guess Houston's such a large populated area and there's so much flooding (a third is underwater?) it's getting a lot of news coverage.

Did you see the chemical plant that's had some explosions? They have chemicals that are so volitile if they aren't kept cool they combust. Power was knocked out and their generators got flooded, so they lost cooling. They evacuated the plant and a mile and a half radius around it beofre the booms happened.

Yes! That plant near Austin with the "organic peroxides" and sundry other volatile chemical?

"We've lost primary and backup power to the refrigeration units, and these things are probably going to explode....."
"The bad news is that they're surrounded by water and we can't get to them to put out the fire"
"The good news is that they're......surrounded by water and the fire shouldn't spread......"

Hi everyone,

Things are drying, but some of rivers won't crest until mid next week so a lot of people are still in danger of flooding even with the sun out and clear skies.

Yes - HEB is amazing, and Mattress Mack is truly a city hero. The Cajun Navy saved many thousands of lives and next time they need it - we will have a navy to help them. So many people are helping and it does give hope to us. People from all other the country have been helping and trust us - we notice and we appreciate everything everyone has and will do.

As mentioned above - the other cities need support too, Rockport is leveled and Beaumont is flooded bad now so if you can also assist with those areas through any charities that is also much needed.

I looked to see if there are reports of damage to NASA's property at the Johnson Space Center, but didn't see anything.

There were a few articles that said the Space Center would be closed until Sept 5th but none mentioned if winds knocked down any rockets, buildings, or anything else.

One article from a Michigan based outlet made me giggle because they used a very old aerial photo of JSC, from before the building was built over the Saturn V. At first I thought maybe the hurricane ripped the building away. I wonder what system they use to get photos from and if they knew how old it was and assumed it would be the same?

https://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index.ssf/2017/08/nasas_johnson_space_center.html

Just used this link. Thank you!

Edit: using it from Tapatalk it seemed to freeze after I entered my name, email, and amount, but before the payment page. I'll try again in the hotel tonight from Safari.

Steve Shannon

That worked, but it took a couple of tries. Fortunately all the entries were cached except credit card info.

Steve Shannon

As the recovery efforts in TX and LA go forward, I'm hoping that things won't be complicated in several days when Irma's remnants arrive.

Semi-seriously, is it time to start a "Who here is in Florida?" thread.....?

If Irma is anything like the news is saying, it's going to be awful. Typhoon Haiyan was the largest storm on record and killed ~6000 people in the Philippines a few years ago. Irma is around 10mph peak wind speed less than Haiyan.

There was a pretty successful TARC team from the US Virgin Islands, which is going under Irma's eye soon.

Last edited:
Well, now the concerns go to another hurricane...
Irma. :sad:
Hopefully it falls apart before making landfall in the US.

Thanks,

Finally got the people responsible to clean up the fuel, oil, and antifreeze spill in my back yard yesterday. We'll see what the EPA says next week when they come back for more soil samples.
I fared better with Harvey than I could have, the flood crested at the top of the foundation and did not enter the house. Had to build a new paddock for the horses since the original is inside the HazMat clean up area. No barn or shelter, but there is a shade tree. Will try to get a shelter of some sort built this week.

Dad lives just south of Orlando. This will be his first hurricane. He says he isn't leaving. I'm thinking it will be quite the wake up call if he survives.....

Latest posts

Back