ARLISS/XPRS 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherokeej

Reaction score
ARLISS/XPRS at Black Rock is coming up quickly. ARLISS is Sept 11 thru 14, and XPRS runs Friday the 15th to Sunday the 17th.

Most of us ARLISS fliers will be heading up on Sunday, Sept 10th, and setting up a limited range for the ARLISS flights which will run thru Thursday. The rest of the range should be completely set up by Thursday evening, and XPRS starts Friday morning.

You'll want to double check with the AeroPAC BoD to verify waiver limits before bringing out your moon shot. As I understand it, we've been pushed off our primary launch coordinates and the waiver will be 60K. But like I said, check with the BoD to verify for yourself.

Also... There's something going on with the Burning Man people this year, and access to the playa will be limited. Before coming out, check the AeroPAC Facebook page and/or home page, and print the access permit to put on your dash. If you don't have it, there may be some people that will want to stop you from accessing the playa.

Looking forward to flying ARLISS for the students again this year. It's hard to beat showing up and having someone walk up and ask "Hey, can you fly this 98mm M for me?" half a dozen plus times over the course of a few days...

I'll be there! Matt too! Good to see flying ARLISS again. I am working on getting Dave Kenyon's ARLISS rockets set up. Everything was going good until this afternoon. Retrofitting to do CD3 on both ends. Front end, no problemo. Back end problemo. I think I have a solution though.

So Matt and I will have 3, maybe 4 rockets between us.

I remember the first launch I ever went to - old SARG. You were talking about ARLISS and getting to fly M motors for free. Sounded good then and still does - 75 or so ARLISS flights later.

Got any cool stuff for XPRS? I will try to redeem myself...no 2 stages but an M685 which should be pretty good. My 17 yr old grandson and I will both fly 54mm birds. He went to 22.5k with his at AERONAUT.

JD! Most excellent! Matt too! Be good to see you both.

Yeah, it will be good to get back out there again. Dave and I will have 3 between us, too. Hopefully, the kids will be ready and we can all stay busy. Fair warning... Mine is a fresh build. I'll be doing a shake-down flight first thing Monday morning. And the waiver opens early... :point:

Yo!!! Free M1419's! Get 'em while the gettin's good. Best part is the kids, tho. Some of the projects I've flown have been over-the-top bad-ass! And some of 'em even worked. :facepalm:

Strictly flying Arliss this year. Dave mentioned he might be putting me to work at XPRS, tho. Looking forward to it. You mentioned it once. There's one sure-fire way to make James grin, ear to ear... :smile:

My dad and I will be at ARLISS flying our last O6000 poured by Frank Kosdon. We will fly on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, what ever day has the best weather. Can't wait to get out to the playa again.

IMG_7479.jpg

My dad and I will be at ARLISS flying our last O6000 poured by Frank Kosdon. We will fly on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, what ever day has the best weather. Can't wait to get out to the playa again.

what's your predicted altitude?

Tony

45,000 feet. The rocket isn't light and it's just a baby "O" at 24,000Ns if memory serves. No danger of punching the 60k waiver.
Hello Scatsob!

This looks like an awesome flight, I wish I could make it to Arliss but this year I'm going to only make it Friday and Saturday.

Though this will stay below the waiver limit and does not require a Tripoli evaluation, we have a 35k+ approval requirement through the Aeropac High Altitude form. While I understand we're only a week away, I'd really appreciate if you could fill it out and I'll evaluate it ASAP so we have it on record before the flight. I know this is an important flight, and I'd like to make sure everything is on order on the Aeropac side of things.

--Erica

Hello Scatsob!

This looks like an awesome flight, I wish I could make it to Arliss but this year I'm going to only make it Friday and Saturday.

Though this will stay below the waiver limit and does not require a Tripoli evaluation, we have a 35k+ approval requirement through the Aeropac High Altitude form. While I understand we're only a week away, I'd really appreciate if you could fill it out and I'll evaluate it ASAP so we have it on record before the flight. I know this is an important flight, and I'd like to make sure everything is on order on the Aeropac side of things.

--Erica

Hey Erica! I already submitted and the launch was approved with project name "Frank" :). We were originally going to fly at Areronaut but my schedule went sideways and we had to reschedule for ARLISS which you said was good to go.

An O at Arliss. And I have it on good authority there will be another O at XPRS.

Yup. We gonna have us some fun. :)

Hey Erica! I already submitted and the launch was approved with project name "Frank" :). We were originally going to fly at Areronaut but my schedule went sideways and we had to reschedule for ARLISS which you said was good to go.

Oh, excellent! Thank you for your reply, I'm going to reformat my spreadsheet so I don't mix up or miss any more rockets. I hope the flight goes awesomely!

Back