Level 3 build for LDRS 2018 (completed-vids and pics)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. My L3CC told me about a guy who had that happen. Flyer and L3CC were good on the flight, but RSO didn't think the rocket had enough initial thrust for the conditions. I showed up at the RSO with all paperwork and wind sims in hand for just this reason.

I just discovered Windy.com from JimJarvis' 3-stage thread. It's my new favorite thing to play with. I love how you can scroll through the altitudes to look at predicted wind strength/direction. (It looks really cool with all the tropical systems out there)

Yes. My L3CC told me about a guy who had that happen. Flyer and L3CC were good on the flight, but RSO didn't think the rocket had enough initial thrust for the conditions. I showed up at the RSO with all paperwork and wind sims in hand for just this reason.

My L3 flight was pretty funny. I asked RSO Bob if it was okay to fly, and he said, "Whatever (L3CC) Robert says is good with me." So then I asked Robert, and he said, "As long as Bob's okay with it, then I am." So I went back to Bob and said, "I need one of you to make a decision!" So he told me to go on out to the pad. :)

I'll be very honest, I wouldn't trust that monokote. I trust it bonded directly to ply or balsa at up to about 250mph, but there's a good reason the RC boys go straight to the composites when things start getting fast. I've seen planes built exactly the same way shred like mad at only a couple hundred miles per hour.

Those foam pieces may start bending and fluttering. At some point they could snap free and punch through the monokote... if the monokote hasn't peeled off. I'd say skip the monokote and just sheet them with 2 oz FG. yeah, it's not flashy or unique, but it should do the same job with minimal added weight.

If you've done this before and it worked out, THEN TELL ME YOUR SECRET GREAT WIZARD OF WINGED THINGIES. TOGETHER WE SHALL MAKE OUR FORTUNES AND CONQUER STUFF! XD

Please scratch the pibble for me.

Pretty cool, I applaud your efforts. Side note, I get a kick out of the metal thing. So many rockets have over a pound or two of lead in the nose for stability reasons. People don't even bat an eye.

I'll be very honest, I wouldn't trust that monokote.

I don't trust it either. But I think it'll hold. It's going to be a shakedown flight at LDRS on a L2 motor. Don't know what motor yet, as any weight estimate on this thing is just a guess. If the monokote shreds, so be it. There will be plenty of stability even if it shreds and the foam comes flying out. If that happens, I'll strip the rest off and skin it with super thin ply or glass or something.

What has really amazed me is how much weight the skeletonized fins saved. The fin can, without hardware and epoxy weighs south of 7 pounds. Since this is going to be HEDD, I'm not going to need any nose weight. Makes me happy.

Pretty cool, I applaud your efforts. Side note, I get a kick out of the metal thing. So many rockets have over a pound or two of lead in the nose for stability reasons. People don't even bat an eye.

Heh. I put in 3.2 lbs of lead shot in my nose for stability. The butt end wound up being pretty heavy from the aluminum thrust plate and foam in the can. The total weight was about 65 lbs, so I guess 3.2 lbs isn't so bad.

Epoxied centering rings to motor tubes, installed recovery anchors, and bolted everything together. Fin can alone weighs 7.9 pounds. A marked improvement, if the monokote holds. The fiberglass nose coupler was no where near close to fitting in the bluetube, so I'm ordering a blue tube coupler for the nose.

Pictures and video to come. For now, I will say that the monokote held up very well to a max speed of about 270 mph with no ill affect. Flew on an AT K2050ST to a little over 700 feet (due to weathercocking) and then later on an AT L1000W to just over 2100 feet. Both flights went perfectly.

EDIT: Special thanks to the following companies for excellent products

Rocketman (R14 Chute)
Fruity Chutes (D-bag)
Upscale CNC (fin can CNC work)
Always Ready Rocketry (Blue tube and coupler)
Madcow Rocketry (Nose cone)
Eggtimer Rocketry (2 Eggtimers, 2 Wifi switches, Eggfinder mini)
Onebadhawk Recovery (Shock cords, including a custom 3 pronged fin can anchor)
Aeropack (retainer and adapters)

And finally, Howard's True Value Hardware.

Last edited:
Pic of how centering rings are glued:

Large epoxy pad is for eventual mounting of airstart computers.

Top side hardware:

K2050ST Screengrab:

L1000W Screengrab:

Landed:

K2050ST flight to a bit over 700':
[video=youtube;OEycnp8P0gQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEycnp8P0gQ[/video]

L1000W to a touch over 2100':
[video=youtube;Xvh1HfR9N48]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvh1HfR9N48[/video]

Thanks, Wayne. Probably by next Monday I should have some video up including Tweety.

Thanks, Wayne. Probably by next Monday I should have some video up including Tweety.

Yeah, we are having the same problem. Got back Sunday afternoon and parked the trailer. Monday, I went out and cleaned out the refrigerator and shut it down. Tomorrow, we will bring it home and unpack, maybe I will find the camera and start downloading pictures...
This week it's business as usual, still trying to drain the swamp but these alligators keep showing up...

Back