More fins! Non traditional beauties

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently a big fan of low and slow, so I'm always up for extra fins, bigger fins, or otherwise more drag or weight than is necessary. This thread has put thoughts in my head.

Yeah me too. Mine keep getting short, fatter, and finnier. Big Daddy, then 4" Cowabunga and Tembo. I have a 5" FG tube that will get 6 fins and a 3:1 nose cone and a large ~7" mailing tube that will likely be my first glassing project.

Here is what I got so far for the 5" project. Low and slow on punchy 38mm Is or unleash it on an L. Realistically though, after all is said and done, it is gonna weight quite a bit more than the sim is saying now. So the Is probably won't be possible in the end, but is looking good on paper ATM. :D
"Hello my name is HUMAN"

View attachment Human 6 fins.ork

Yeah me too. Mine keep getting short, fatter, and finnier. Big Daddy, then 4" Cowabunga and Tembo. I have a 5" FG tube that will get 6 fins and a 3:1 nose cone and a large ~7" mailing tube that will likely be my first glassing project.

Here is what I got so far for the 5" project. Low and slow on punchy 38mm Is or unleash it on an L. Realistically though, after all is said and done, it is gonna weight quite a bit more than the sim is saying now. So the Is probably won't be possible in the end, but is looking good on paper ATM. :D
"Hello my name is HUMAN"

View attachment 326700

Very cool design!

Chainfall which is my Dads Navy nickname. 3 forward swept fins and 2 forward fins. Actually it had 2 versions, one 2.6" and the original was 3" PSII tubing.

11988774_10154322152544942_1985861329080091667_n.jpg12191946_10154322152524942_7782727386611781429_n.jpgDSC_0730 (2).jpg

Split fin designs are pretty cool, too.

attachment.php

Split fins are great - the Thor is a classic design. It inspired my first downscale!

Here's a couple with nonstandard fins
Gwibber - 5 fins, 5 "strakes" 25 fins slots in the body tube to keep them straight. couldn't get photo loaded
Quarauq - a Quark forward and backward.- never built yet

Attachments

• Gwiber-Lg.rkt
    287.9 KB · Views: 42
  • QuarauQ.rkt
    132.2 KB · Views: 47
Guess I never really thought about it 'till your post caught my eye. Turns out I do have a thing for fins...If canards count I've got one with 8. Also just bought an Ultimate that has 6...20180701_195002.jpg

Last edited:
Someday this might get in the air -- Moonbat

allon-png.344834

Not too long ago I stumbled across a decades-old Popular Mechanics article (I think), with plans for a model rocket with 16 micro fins and a deeply recessed motor. Think it was BT50 or BT60 based. Fins only a few millimeters tall. Pretty sure I saved the article, but I cannot find it at the moment.

There is also this two stager with a finless sustainer, for which I have cut the parts, but which is still pretty far down in the build pile

TAO via Space Modeling.

2 outer skins, 1 G-10 core for strength. 3 sections =1 fin.
Inner edge of wood routed/rounded before glued to core.
Outer edge as a whole routed/rounded after assembly
Hole cut & edges routed after assembly.

DSCN0019.jpg DSCN0042.jpg DSCN0878.jpg

Gizmo XL-DD-V, My L3 rocket, custom with 5 fins.
Mac Black Fly with 5 fins (RIP... It'll need a second gen after I screwed up a reload)
Working on a custom Demon that'll have 5 fins also.Rocket%20Launch%205-15-16%20077.JPG20171103_120627.jpeg

If this thread gets too much attention we could very easily all end up in a Government mandated "Fin Fetish" program.

Latest posts

Back