Rocketry Competition Series Casting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
NEW ROCKETRY COMPETITION SERIES LOOKING FOR COMPETITORS!

A major cable network is launching a new rocketry competition series. Do you have a love for anything and all things rockets? Are you a builder who likes to make just about anything you can imagine go faster? Do you like to have fun and show off some really cool takeaway skills while not taking yourself too seriously? Whether you’re an individual or team, we’d like to hear from you!

If you’d like to be part of this project, please contact us at [email protected]. Please tell us about yourself – your background, your interest and experience with rockets, where you live, what you do for a living, what you like to do for fun, you name it. We’d like to get to know you! Also include a picture(s) of yourself, your contact info and a short one minute or less video telling us about yourself. Selfie cell phone videos are fine. Please have fun with it and submit quickly as the project is being fast tracked. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you!

I don't have the skills for competition, but I'm very goodlooking. Does that help?

Seriously ... that sounds awesome and I can't wait to watch it!

Gus your are perhaps one of the most interesting characters - dude I will video you this weekend for this! Plus you are know for pushing it, I won't take no for an answer

A very quiet thread so far...

Pretty detail-free request.
Guess it works for some, but in general, it seems foolhardy to make a "tell all" document/video and send it to unknown people for unknown upside and true potential downside.

Couldn't find a web site. If I had known on Saturday, I would have asked Neil for more info.

If I had to guess, I'd say it is a competitive elimination show, like on Food Network. Each week a different rocketry challenge, and each week someone goes home. Contestants do not get paid, but have their rocketry expenses covered. Final winner gets some kind of prize.

Please note: this is all a guess based on the OP, and I have no knowledge of this whatsoever.

Couldn't find a web site. If I had known on Saturday, I would have asked Neil for more info.

If I had to guess, I'd say it is a competitive elimination show, like on Food Network. Each week a different rocketry challenge, and each week someone goes home. Contestants do not get paid, but have their rocketry expenses covered. Final winner gets some kind of prize.

Please note: this is all a guess based on the OP, and I have no knowledge of this whatsoever.

https://ricochetroadshow.com/

Gus your are perhaps one of the most interesting characters - dude I will video you this weekend for this! Plus you are know for pushing it, I won't take no for an answer

Nick!:no:

I have a face for radio...and, a voice for Saturday morning cartoon characters.
Not going too happen. Let's get some real talent.

" https://ricochetroadshow.com/ "

OK - so they have a "flying ticket" video and a few $k in gear.
Still pretty thin.

No mention of this rocket thing.
No legalese whatsoever.
Just hints of things they may or may not be working on....

As this stage there is no format for the show or what the competition might or might not be. The first step is to start with casting and move on from there. As is typical with any television production, they are not going to announce the details of the show prior to the airing. For anyone who has been involved in with a TV production, you know it is a case of hurry up and wait.

If folks are interested in throwing their hat in the ring for the casting call, that is fine...if not, that is fine also. I am well aware there are two schools of thought on these things. My experience has been that they are fun and I have always had a good time.....that is one of the themes of the production company memo.....

There is no restriction of age or gender, they are looking for a wide cross section of folks to apply and there is no telling who may be picked to participate at the end of the day. If you like doing rocketry on someone else's dime, this might be something to consider....:)

I can say that this production company has been selling the concept for sometime and the cable folks are now starting to consider it. This is a process....a long process....

Neil
:flyingpig:

I just got off the phone with folks doing show. It's the producer from MythBusters, I recommended he come to Airfest to check out what's happening, BUT they are filming new season of Mythbusters and can't make it.

So guys this is for real if you want be a "Character" on Tv. They are taking suggestions from participants as to what format they go with, so for now it's wide open. Rockets, cars, boats, who knows....what ever works for good TV.

You have this week to apply. Just give a basic description of what you do, send some pics of your rockets, odd rock's etc....like a short resume& go for it!!!

They will determine location in a few weeks, as of now it;s pre-production and anything...anywhere...that works will do.

A very quiet thread so far...

Sabrina? Did you see this?:point:

Thanks for thinking about me... I do like the fun "competitions" we have at Bong, but I'm probably too shy for TV. Besides, I start High School pretty soon - and that's gonna take up the majority of my time.

:rolleyes:
Thanks for thinking about me... I do like the fun "competitions" we have at Bong, but I'm probably too shy for TV. Besides, I start High School pretty soon - and that's gonna take up the majority of my time.

I understand my young friend... Enjoy your youth while you still have it! ;)

Almost forgot. Do you have any video from your *newest rocket* at Bong last weekend? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I love flying fast, high altitude rockets, but if I was video-taped for a TV show, well, I would probably have a nervous breakdown. :blush:

Thanks,

It might help a little if you give an indication of the motors they expect to use. Do you need L1, L2 or even L3 certification? That piece of info will tell people a lot.

It might help a little if you give an indication of the motors they expect to use. Do you need L1, L2 or even L3 certification? That piece of info will tell people a lot.

Ummmm.... this is about a lot more than rocket motors in a rocket. So don't narrow yourself down to L-1-3.

It's more about who you are and what you like to do for fun....are you a "Character"?
There will be nerds, hero's, comic relief and drama. It's about fun & interesting TV that's not boring. It's reality show & they want ratings, what ever avenue that takes.

So don't worry about your skills as much as what you can do, with what ya got, at the level you are at. Go for it and don't worry, but if you are camera shy forget it. Long hours of filming and constant re-takes will abound. This will be a full season show, not just a one shot deal.
So you may just be on "one" show, not all.

There are guys like Micro who fly low power only, that do fantastic, interesting things with rockets...............that's the hook.

What ever you guys decide do it before Labor Day that's the cut off, from what I was told.

Last edited:
Like when Kari Byron came to LDRS a few years back ?

[video=youtube;EqqZPXMpe7o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqqZPXMpe7o[/video]

or The Rocket Challenge ?

[video=youtube;Esq_rQyzUzE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esq_rQyzUzE[/video]

Like when Kari Byron came to LDRS a few years back ?

[video=youtube;EqqZPXMpe7o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqqZPXMpe7o[/video]

or The Rocket Challenge ?

[video=youtube;Esq_rQyzUzE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esq_rQyzUzE[/video]

When they work they are cool....when they don't work they are really cool.

As Jim mentioned above, this is all part of a process. In most cases you will not know the details of the challenge until you get there. If you have the inclination, apply and see what happens next.....it's a rocket show, what could go wrong???????

Neil
:flyingpig:

I would be all over this but time commitments family and work are pretty demanding! I'd submit if I knew what kinda time commitment it is - is this a one time showing or continues rocket builds - film crew - traveling around etc?

My wife has encouraged me to sign up... Still thinking it over.

My wife has encouraged me to sign up

Why? Does she want you out of the house or something????

I just don't get this.
Sure you might get to do fun rocket things on somebody else's dime but....
- you KNOW they want drama...and interpersonal stress....is that "fun" or what you want long term for you and your team-mates?
- you KNOW some of the request will be stupid, un-workable or down-right dangerous.
- you KNOW the people here will pick you apart for what you did or didn't do.
- you KNOW that this is advertisement for or against the hobby - are you prepared to make SURE it is always favorable? How?

So ... lots of headache for a little upside....and that's ignoring the fact that it will disrupt daily life (work, family) to some degree.

I hope I'm wrong on the above.....but I'll pass...............

I do well enough making myself look stupid in person. I certainly don't need to do it on TV.

Just got an email worded very similarly to the one in the OP. and it namedrops "executive producers of Mythbusters"

Here we go again!
I think in the entertainment industry it’s all about getting people paid - the creators come up with an idea, sell it the money folks, then all the production people get a gig and a check - not sure if getting stuff into continuous production is really the goal - the resume entry and paycheck appears to be what the “little people” focus on. Just my 8 cents worth but I doubt we’ll ever be watching Rocket Competitions of the Network Stars anytime soon 😉

Back