THIS is messed up !!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
So HOW MESSED UP IS THIS !!!
I was taking a picture inside our house to post on F/B , I uploaded from my phone onto the pc and then to F/B. Prior to sharing the pic, I noticed it tagged someone without me doing anything ?? So I look closer and in the background of the picture I took-is a photo of the person it wanted to tag ........
Can you say facial recognition - VERY SCARY . And I hadnt even posted it yet.

welcome to five years ago. :p

You're going to flip when you realize the ads you see on Facebook are tied to things your phone hears you talking about to other people in the room.

I like to search for hunting and veganism so i can watch the duelling ads in my Facebook feed :)

welcome to five years ago. :p

You're going to flip when you realize the ads you see on Facebook are tied to things your phone hears you talking about to other people in the room.

I guess its the fact that it picked up a tiny picture in the background of the pic I took is all.

you cant imagine just how embedded our world it.. Data fusion, and the company that spearheaded this.. Facebook.. And Zuckerburg now wants to be president.. The power and intimate knowledge he has of every facebook user is staggering.

I deleted my facebook account 8 months ago.

And FYI.. Your phone is always recording/monitoring you even when its on your hip.

Tom

There is a technology that can figure out what you are watching by taking over your phone, and sending the background sounds to a server. The server then matches the sounds to sound image libraries. They can tell the program, episode,, and station. The technology is in use as I write this. It's related to Shazam, which identifies songs. Not a rumor. I work in TV ad sales. it's real. (I believe it's called APR for Automatic Program Recognition)

(Obviously the cable company knows this stuff, but the phone angle is... creepy.)

I am so glad I don't have one. I have an old flip phone that gets used in emergencies.

I was with some friends yesterday, playing board games, and someone said something about Godzilla (said person was getting Godzilla mixed up with King Kong, but we won't go there). Anyway, later, said person's husband took out his phone, and there was Godzilla at the top of his search results.

Being an owner of a computer company, Ive seen many things, One however stands up from the rest by massive amounts.

Driving with my Brother (co owner) and my employee in the back of my tahoe, We were having a discussion about the job we just left and the strategy we have for them, The phone (Nextel I-1000) was closed and on the console the entire time, I get a chime that I have a voice mail. The phone NEVER rang !! So I figure we went through a dead zone or something, I hit voicemail, (its on speaker now) and the last 9 minutes of the prior conversation was a voicemail.

So how did my phone record my conversation THEN send it to myself as a voicemail ? Impossible !!!!

That was in 2004, so today, everything is on the table.

Fact.

Folks, let's be clear and inject some reality. Smartphones not running malware don't (yet) routinely capture and send everything we say to some advertising consortium.

Even the processing power to recognize "Ok Google" represents a noteworthy battery drain and processor overhead.

I run an Android device --rooted so I can properly back it up and control it-- and monitor what apps are drawing power and using data. I can tell you it's not a spy device...

There are rogue apps for sure and others that grab voice with consent. But big brother isn't listening to everything we say.

I would be more worried about smart TVs with microphones. Samsung ran afoul of a terms of use that said they could do anything with whatever was said in earshot of their mic-equipped tv. Not pretty.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I disagree.

Iphones listen and dump ads to relevant items discussed.

Gxxgle Maps tracks your phone's location and then sends you a notification asking you to review the place you visited.You have to sign out of Gxxgle maps to suppress the notifications but it still tracks your phone.

Read Gxxgle's privacy statement. All those paranoid thoughts you have about being watched? It's not paranoia when it's true.

BTW, the xx represents swastikas in Gxxgle's name.

I disagree.

Iphones listen and dump ads to relevant items discussed.

Gxxgle Maps tracks your phone's location and then sends you a notification asking you to review the place you visited.You have to sign out of Gxxgle maps to suppress the notifications but it still tracks your phone.

Read Gxxgle's privacy statement. All those paranoid thoughts you have about being watched? It's not paranoia when it's true.

BTW, the xx represents swastikas in Gxxgle's name.

Location tracking is one thing (I'm fine with it), listening into conversations without consent is another.

I used to be fairly paranoid about stuff, and wouldn't let google track my location. But then I came familiar with the benefits of google for things like traffic avoidance... the "big data" approach gives realtime information on traffic tie ups and the best routes. This is valuable to me, so sharing location seems like a good thing for me to do. Once, I was at Hobby Lobby and Google sent me a notification asking if I was there and did I want a 40% coupon to use? Not bad. And I'm not looking over my shoulders for a terminator death machine emerging from Android OS.

My attitude doesn't mean I throw caution to the wind. I never buy phones with locked bootloaders that I can't modify the system software in. As far as I'm concerned, the cell phone is a computer that happens to be able to make calls. I'm in control of it, not LG, ATT, or whoever. If I want to wipe the provided OS and put on a different ROM, that's up to me. This limits my phone choices, but so far it has worked out for me.

Marc

Think of the intelligence budget the military has JUST for security. if you think, or even question the ability of your phone to harvest ALL YOUR DATA 24/7 then you might want to read this. Im positive your personal budget and or your ability to root a phone is childish looking at the bigger picture.

a GUIDED missile cruiser "hacked" but not 1.. so far 2.. And this is WITH humans running the ships. This is total control of the two ships to include our own million dollar ship that has millions of dollars of cyber security communications.

And you think your "commercially available" cell phone is secure? Not even close...never has and never EVER will be...

There is a reason there are no cell phones ALLOWED on the 7th floor...

https://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/...tigate-after-uss-john-s-mccain-collision.html

I'm not saying my phone can't be hacked. It certainly could be. What I am saying is that neither Google, AT&T, the Feds, nor the guys that hang out on YORF are routinely listening in to my conversations for spying or advertising or counter-sedition purposes.

If I install some crappy app with malware and somebody in China or Montana turns on my camera to video me in the shower, that's on me. But our phones aren't routinely bugged-by-design for mass voice collection.

That said, it's amazing how many people purchase an always on digital assistant whose stated purpose is to listen constantly and enable consumption of goods and services from Amazon etc.... We have met the enemy and they are us.

I'm not saying my phone can't be hacked. It certainly could be. What I am saying is that neither Google, AT&T, the Feds, nor the guys that hang out on YORF are routinely listening in to my conversations for spying or advertising or counter-sedition purposes.

If I install some crappy app with malware and somebody in China or Montana turns on my camera to video me in the shower, that's on me. But our phones aren't routinely bugged-by-design for mass voice collection.

That said, it's amazing how many people purchase an always on digital assistant whose stated purpose is to listen constantly and enable consumption of goods and services from Amazon etc.... We have met the enemy and they are us.

So how did that happen to my friend on Sunday? We're sitting around the table, and someone mentions Godzilla, and then there is a discussion about Godzilla; my friends want to Google something, and when he does, one of the advertized links at the top has a picture of Godzilla. Pure coincidence?

No explanation. Correlation doesn't imply causality. I am in the presence of an iPhone (work) and at least one Android device (sometimes up to three) and have NEVER had ads show up attributable to spoken conversation.

We ran into a surprise today at work.

We were in a meeting discussing an item. One of the other engineers had his phone sitting out on the desk. As we were discussing some options, all of a sudden the phone (not sure if it was Siri or not) starts talking about about information it found on the web related to our topic. The engineer had not touched the phone and was surprised as any of us that "she" butted in the conversation.

Somewhat spooky....

I guessing that was "Hey Siri", you have the option to turn it off.

When "on" she pretty much automatically answers your questions especially if you say "Hey"

Back