What are Higgs Farm rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
MDRA's Tom C. has a huge, square rocket made out of fiberglassed cardboard boxes and plywood, that he calls Square One. It launches to about 1000' on an N motor, but only at our winter field, Higgs Farm.

For LDRS, Tom had the name "Higgs Farm" printed on Square One.

He contacted the owner of New Way Rocketry, who only makes square LPR kits, and sent him designs to make an LPR scale model of Square One. One of the few times a rocketeer downscaled a rocket! :)

So Tom gave a bunch of them away to MDRA members. Today, Tom dragraced my kids with Higgs Farm rockets, on C11-3 impulse.

IMG_2311.jpg IMG_2313.jpg IMG_2314.jpg IMG_2317.jpg IMG_2327.jpg IMG_2328.jpg IMG_2329.jpg IMG_2331.jpg

I would be willing to bet that New Way might produce some more if a bunch of people asked for them. Or, PM Tom C. He might be willing to sell you one.

I would be willing to bet that New Way might produce some more if a bunch of people asked for them. Or, PM Tom C. He might be willing to sell you one.

I would think New Way would its not a whole lot different than other kits they all ready produce.

Everyone interested should call NewWay and request them. He will be more inclined to produce a run of them for open sale if he knows some will be bought.

Any idea how high a little Higgs rocket goes on a C11-3? I'm going to be flying mine for the first time at the NNRS launch this weekend and it is a small field.

NNRS (Northern Neck Rocketry Society) is a new NAR section being started up in the Fredericksburg VA area. So far we have 6 members. This will be our first launch. Small field. Low power only. Woo-hoo.

Any idea how high a little Higgs rocket goes on a C11-3? I'm going to be flying mine for the first time at the NNRS launch this weekend and it is a small field.

NNRS (Northern Neck Rocketry Society) is a new NAR section being started up in the Fredericksburg VA area. So far we have 6 members. This will be our first launch. Small field. Low power only. Woo-hoo.

About half as high as they do on a D12-5. :grin:

Seriously, though, I have not had an altimeter in one. I'm not good at guessing, either. But I can say that they usually come down pretty close to the pad. I haven't weighed mine, but if you do, you could do a quick and dirty sim on ThrustCurve.org.

Oh, BTW, for anyone still reading this thread, here is an awesome video of Tom's full-size Higgs Farm on N impulse.

[video=youtube;GlGY2ef8Hus]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlGY2ef8Hus[/video]

Back