"X Marks the Spot"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Airstart 1 Second Stage Ignition (1) 09 18 10.jpg

I've launched my AIRSTART 1 two stage high power rocket several times over the years. I built the booster stage the same as I did my first MPR two stage rocket back in the '70's- I cut four 6" long slots in the booster body tube, and built up the inside of the booster body tube so that it snugs against the smaller diameter upper stage. When the upper stage ignites, the exhaust initially shoots out the slots as the stages separate. We were lucky enough to catch the above grainy shot from the ground.

The link to the Youtube video is: [video=youtube;EzIazxOSSw4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzIazxOSSw4[/video]

I used an I200 reload for the booster on subsequent flights, and rebuilt the rocket using Blue Tube parts. It's a fun rocket to fly.

Mike Momenee
TRA# 12430 L3

Nice images. When I read the title I thought this was going to be a thread about digging a rocket out of the ground. I was pleasantly surprised. :)

Very nice flight and video! I always wanted to try an air start. What did you use to ignite the 2nd stage? Also, does the top of the booster get toasted much when the 2nd stage ignites?

I use a Rocketflite MagneLite igniter, along with a PerfectFlite timer for second stage ignition. The booster doesn't get scorched much at second stage ignition. Doesn't blister the paint job- I just wipe it off with a damp cloth and it looks (almost) new. Two stage high power rockets are a crowd pleaser. It's a fun project to scratch-build.

Mike Momenee
TRA #12430 L3

Back