Bluegrass vs Country?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Is it wrong to love bluegrass yet hate Country / Western?

And, is it wrong to love Punk and Bluegrass?! What about if we toss in the odd baroque classical tune, to slow down the fiddle / violin.. And dredge up some old 80's style "alternative"..

For what it's worth, I do play the jaws harp.. dwing dwing dwing twang dwing twang dwing twang tweang twing dwing twang....

:D

Is it wrong to love bluegrass yet hate Country / Western?

And, is it wrong to love Punk and Bluegrass?! What about if we toss in the odd baroque classical tune, to slow down the fiddle / violin.. And dredge up some old 80's style "alternative"..

For what it's worth, I do play the jaws harp.. dwing dwing dwing twang dwing twang dwing twang tweang twing dwing twang....

:D

I love bluegrass because it is raw musicianship, whereas country is slicked up, commercialized pop.

Musical diversity is a good thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking an array of musical styles. I like just about everything from Baroque/Classical to ultra brutal Grindcore. I like to say that I can go from symphony hall to a mosh pit in the same day and enjoy every bit of it, although these days I tend to stay out of the pit, I don't heal as quickly as I used too.

Here at Bob's Country Bunker we have both kinds of music- country and western.

Sure thin...you can like what you like. I liked hard rock and country from the start. Listen to Zeppelin then Marty Robbins...groovy.

I am a huge fan of The Avett Brothers. They're more Americana/folk/rock than bluegrass or country.

In general I don't like country.

Honestly, I'm not sure I know enough about either to tell the difference.

Peartree

It's easy if it has a banjo it's blue grass, if it has banjo and a mandolin it's high class bluegrass.

Otherwise it's country.

I don't really care for either one myself but I really cant tolerate banjo music. Jimmy Page rock on.

In the late 90's early 2000's I used to go to a college bar called the Bottleneck that featured a lot of live music. Mostly it was local rock bands, alternative rock or college rock (not a country bar), but every now and then this band called Split Lip Rayfield would play there. I always remembered them because the bass player used a gas tank from an old car for his bass. To me, they seemed like an odd fit for that bar, but they played hard and really rocked the place. They got the crowd pumped up as much as any other band that played there. There was no YouTube in those days, and like all of us, they've gotten older and slowed down, but they are still playing and the crowd is still loving them. Here's a relatively more recent performance.

[video=youtube;TMUigi5-Tys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMUigi5-Tys"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMUigi5-Tys[/video]

Back