Rotary Tools

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried other rotary tools besides Dremel, such as:
Gyrus, same housing as Dremel 395 "VIEW"
Goplus/Snauzer "VIEW"
WEN "VIEW"
Genesis "VIEW"
Farmington "VIEW"
Unbranded, all black, same housing as Dremel 395 series "VIEW"
Unbranded, all red "VIEW" or "VIEW"
Craftsman Branded Dremel "VIEW"
China knock off of a Dremel 395 "DEARMEL"
Kawasaki 840589 "VIEW"
Chicago Electric 68696 "VIEW" I've read some real horror stories on CE products...
WEL-BILT "VIEW"

I've read a lot of reviews and there seams to be conflicting statements across the board. Rather it be one man's opinion of expectation, or bad tools from poor QC is unknown. So I figured if anyone here has experience with any of these, or many of the other knock off brands/unbranded tools, would be more help to me.
I'm looking into the future when I can afford to buy more knives for customizing, which will be the main use of the tools. Cordless tools IS NOT on the list.
Thanks for any, and all, experienced opinions on these, or any of the other tools of this type.

Has anyone tried other rotary tools besides Dremel, such as:
Gyrus, same housing as Dremel 395 "VIEW"
Goplus/Snauzer "VIEW"
WEN "VIEW"
Genesis "VIEW"
Farmington "VIEW"
Unbranded, all black, same housing as Dremel 395 series "VIEW"
Unbranded, all red "VIEW" or "VIEW"
Craftsman Branded Dremel "VIEW"
China knock off of a Dremel 395 "DEARMEL"
Kawasaki 840589 "VIEW"
Chicago Electric 68696 "VIEW" I've read some real horror stories on CE products...
WEL-BILT "VIEW"

I've read a lot of reviews and there seams to be conflicting statements across the board. Rather it be one man's opinion of expectation, or bad tools from poor QC is unknown. So I figured if anyone here has experience with any of these, or many of the other knock off brands/unbranded tools, would be more help to me.
I'm looking into the future when I can afford to buy more knives for customizing, which will be the main use of the tools. Cordless tools IS NOT on the list.
Thanks for any, and all, experienced opinions on these, or any of the other tools of this type.

If you really want a good rotary tool that you can use for hours without fatigue, get a flexible shaft tool. I've got one marked Craftsman from three decades ago that is pretty good but only about half as good as a Foredom flex shaft tool.

I'm looking at those too Steve. Some things I do the flexible shaft doesn't work, not enough freedom of movement.
I'm sure I'll get one of those types in the future. Dremel makes one for about 1/2 of a Foredom.
And there are several knock offs 1/2 or less than the Dremel.

I've used the Harbor Freight cheapo, which is... Cheap. I think the motor lasted about half an hour. My main is a Black and Decker rotary. I like it because it has a locking lever rather then a detent button for changing the bits. The one we keep in the shop is a Dremel 4000 series with variable speed dial rather than a speed switch. They both work great.

Black and Decker tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MUSLCC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I just today picked up a WEN - Looks pretty decent, and the price is right, plan on using after dinner tonight- let ya know.

My dremel died and I got a Black and Decker rotary to replace it. A great tool and it has more power than the dremel it replaced.

I use the WEN.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEN-2305-R...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The flexible shaft disconnected itself from the tool. Wrapped some tape around the end and stuffed it back in. It continues to work but will get warm at the connection and want to back out after extended use (5 min). Other than that, decent tool, decent power. Sufficient for the materials we use. Just keep an eye on the heat. It'll probably crap out someday sooner than a better quality unit, but it has definitely paid for itself several-fold in the year I've had it and I can repair it if I need to. If not, I'll toss it in the trash and find 20 bucks worth of change in my couch for another.

Got mine here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRFH8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My Dremel died about a month ago. I really miss it :cry:

Need to buy another soon. Keen to hear the comments on this thread.

The flex-drive shaft makes for a great addition. I use it as a toolpost grinder in the lathe sometimes.

Got a Menards nearby? https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/rotary-tool-sets-accessories/tool-shop-reg-rotary-tool-with-250-piece-accessory-kit/p-1461692491419-c-10099.htm?tid=-6221257929017904294&ipos=3 I have 2 of these and they work just fine with the dremel flex shaft. Might need to go and get another before they are all gone for the price they are going for now.

Yea, nothing anywhere near me in stock. Looks identical the red ones on ebay though. But many times the housing is the same and guts are much cheaper. I'd have to order one from a store out of state. Thanks though, it's one I haven't seen.

I've read plenty on the WEN with very little negative reviews. Most have to do with the flex shaft attachment. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting at least one of these.
Not sure if I will get the flex shaft or not. I don't think I've ever used the one that came with my Dremel 395. Thanks

I use the WEN.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEN-2305-R...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The flexible shaft disconnected itself from the tool. Wrapped some tape around the end and stuffed it back in. It continues to work but will get warm at the connection and want to back out after extended use (5 min). Other than that, decent tool, decent power. Sufficient for the materials we use. Just keep an eye on the heat. It'll probably crap out someday sooner than a better quality unit, but it has definitely paid for itself several-fold in the year I've had it and I can repair it if I need to. If not, I'll toss it in the trash and find 20 bucks worth of change in my couch for another.

Got mine here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRFH8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My Dremel died about a month ago. I really miss it :cry:

Need to buy another soon. Keen to hear the comments on this thread.

The flex-drive shaft makes for a great addition. I use it as a toolpost grinder in the lathe sometimes.

If you're looking to replace it, keep an eye on https://www.justtools.com.au/

I got my Dremel kit with the Flexi-extension thing for $50 less than master's best price and it had a bunch of extra attachments and accessories thrown in about two years back with free express shipping to boot...

I signed up for their mailing list and I've seen it on specials like that two or three times since.

Latest posts

Back