The Eclipse Apocalypse is Upon Us!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFeller

Reaction score
We live pretty much in the center of the path of totality, which will make for a great time Monday morning. It is, however, creating some logistical problems.

Many gas stations are actually selling out of gas.

Pallets of bottled water clutters the storefronts.

Travel times on the freeways have tripled and will probably get worse.

Dirty hippies are everywhere (okay, this is Oregon we're talking about and we have more than our share of local dirty hippies, but it has increased significantly).

Grocery stores are as crowded as the day before Thanksgiving.

Anyhow, I am actually enjoying the commotion. As a teacher on summer vacation I've got nowhere I need to be and we are stocked with beer, wine, and gasoline...

What is it like for others that are in The Path?

I'm not it the path but I listened with some degree of entertainment about the doom-saying of how the grid is going to collapse due to the loss of the sun and the higher use/dependence of/on solar. I would reckon the shadow is going to be about as large as a medium-sized frontal system who's clouds I believe also block the sun...???

:confused:

My brother is heading to your great state for some totality viewing. He's neither dirty nor a hippie, but he will be consuming some of your resources. He has 2 teenage sons, so figure at least one of your local all-you-can-eat buffets will be wiped out.

He made his reservations early and was contacted later by HERTZ who told him they had overbooked 600% and cancelled his reservation, leaving his cheese in the wind. Unable to reserve another rental car, he decided to just drive his family up.

Someone in our local rocket group is heading up to some small town in Idaho(?) might have been Wyoming... Town of 10,000 people are expecting to be inundated with eclipse tourists. They're telling the visitors to bring their own food and water because they won't be able to support that many people with their supply chain.

I also heard (but didn't see any related article) that some hotels in the total eclipse path, when they realized how many visitors were coming to town, cancelled all of their existing reservations and put the rooms back up for reservations at MUCH higher rates. They're getting fined.

Were I in the totality, I would launch a big honking sparky (M2200 anyone?) directly at the sun at peak darkness (right were the most people can see). Something like out of Star Trek - Generations. That ought to send a few looser screws over the edge.

Were I in the totality, I would launch a big honking sparky (M2200 anyone?) directly at the sun at peak darkness (right were the most people can see). Something like out of Star Trek - Generations. That ought to send a few looser screws over the edge.

I wonder how many preppers will be hiding out in their bunkers on Monday.

You are a funny man.

My father-in-law and brother-in-law are driving up to OR from CA. Me ... I am quite content with my 70.9% view from my backyard. I don't like crowds, getting stuck in traffic, etc.

I'm headed down to Oregon too. I've been accused of being a hippie, but I promise to shower before we go. We're dry camping on a tulip farm, so I won't be clean by the time we leave. :) We are planning to be totally self-sufficient when there, except for gas. I'll need to fill up somewhere along the way, trying to figure out exactly where.

I'm going even more stealth/self-sufficient.

I'll be heading towards eastern Idaho myself. And, assuming I'll find small town gas stations that are sold out, and LONG lines for just about anything I might need (water, food, etc.), I'm planning on having everything (including extra gas) with me. I'm driving north through the night (leaving after work on Sunday), crashing in the back of the van on whatever roadside pullout I might find, getting up in the morning and finding a place...anyplace.... to park. I honestly don't care about finding "the perfect spot"; in fact in some ways I prefer to be someplace no one else even cares about....literally a pull-off on the side of the road would be just fine. If I happen to find a nice hill to sit on top of, than great....but if not, I'm okay with just leaning against the van on the side of the road. Let the hordes and crowds fight for (and pay big dollars for) the "good spots"....I'm there to watch the sky.

Weather reports look good.....this is going to be cool,
s6

I'm headed to Woodruff SC (1.75 hrs ) away. All back roads. Population of Woodruff is just over 4,000 people, so I'm guessing it might be remote enough to stay off of popular destinations. They do have a nice city park that I can pitch the rocket canopy on and bring my own food & water. If roads get too jammed, I'll just come home. We're getting a 98+% coverage here anyway.

Meh. Where I live it's going to be 89-91% depending on which website I use. Now if I'm around in 2024 I'll be in the 100% path. I think I can wait that long,

Making the drive to OR in about 2 hours, staying with my parents who are 10 miles North of the path for totality, so we'll make a little drive that morning. Plenty of gas, an extra 5 gallons in the back just in case, and LOTS of Mr. Pibb....

We're heading 8 hours north into Missouri. Gonna make a 3 day vacation at Lake of the Ozarks and Ozarks National Forest out of it.

My house will be in the totality line in 2024, but no guarantee we will still live there in 7 years, so I'm using the excuse for a mini vacation.

Centerline of eclipse is going right through there just across the river from our little 3 mile wide town.
Even though our Pastor is still recovering from falling while mowing and injuring her leg, she and her husband confirmed a little bit ago that the eclipse cookout at their place is still on.
I dunno, it is other side of our little 3 mile wide town from me and I'm expecting insane congestion in this 5 traffic light burg.
And I'm seriously stressed about accidentally damaging my eyes since so much of my body is already damaged and/or dysfunctional in various ways and there are occasional minor troubles with my eyes. But, having food cooked by someone else would be fun. I dunno, still have time to decide. Would be nice to be psychic and preview the congestion in town ahead of time, would make deciding so much easier.

People on here know that I have strong opinions especially about religion. I think the eclipse is a warning to America. Its a sign, but thats about it. Luke 21:25 ""There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea."

All I am going to do is be aware and be knowledgeable. But really that is all we can do. I will stay home and go to work. But look how the world is divided especially the USA.

Dirty hippies? Whew, I thought they were zombies. Maybe they are prescribing poor hygiene with that medical weed. Was in Newport a few weeks ago and I still can't wash that Oregon smell off of me!

I live in the eclipse hotspot as well and it's mayhem. All for two minutes of darkness. Close your eyes for two minutes, call it an eclipse, and save yourself a boatload of money.

you Guys might want to read this....they say to bring EVERYTHING you need to survive for the entire trip & maps of where congestion will be:

https://www.businessinsider.com/sol...routes-that-drivers-are-most-likely-to-take-1

Jim, that's a pretty cool reference.
And "my" driveshed shows up as #2! Oh boy!

That said, the vast majority of the population numbers they use to calculate that are from southern California (LA, San Diego, et al), and I do think that the total possibility of folks who live in the driveshed as opposed to those who are going to make the trip diminishes greatly with distance (ie: folks 100 miles away are much more likely to go than folks who are 600-800 miles away. And by a longshot, all the large population pockets in that driveshed are the farthest distances. So it might not be all that bad (he foolishly hoped for).

I'm definitely going to travel routes that aren't main lines, so that will help too (he naively believed). I know lots back ways and alternate routes in the area.

Mostly though, I'm actually going into this expecting absolute and total chaos, frustration, maddening delays, insane traffic, and overcrowded everything......that way if it turns out to be just VERY bad in actuality, it will seem okay.

And yes, I'm stocking up and going totally "prepper", so that I shouldn't NEED to stop/buy anything along the way (at least once I get in "the zone"). My van is always stocked with food, water, tools, camping gear, extra clothes, and "supplies" anyway as a matter of course. It's not unusual for me to get stranded (sometimes by choice or design) for a couple of days in the backcountry anyway, so I'm usually prepared. The main thing I'll need is extra gas to get me another 100 miles or so if I find myself running low in a rural area where everyone is sold out. Shouldn't be a problem.

s6

I don't get it. What's the big deal? I have seen many solar eclipses, and never noticed anybody getting excited about it. Last one we saw was in Bluff, Utah. Total eclipse. Nobody but us even knew about it.
We used a cheap pair of binoculars and a white sheet of paper for viewing:

001.jpg

Notice the big crowds with welding helmets on?

This was a pretty good one, with the ring of the sun surrounding the shadow of the moon:
027.jpg

Well, wasn't the last pair in the US 90/91? That's, y'know, 25 years ago... a third of an average lifespan.

Wayco, that was an annular eclipse. I saw it, too, at Bryce Canyon on May 20, 2012. When the moon is more towards apogee in its orbit, it is smaller as seen from the earth and does not totally block the sun.

We are planning to go to Idaho on Sunday and Monday. We got an automated phone call today from the Box Elder emergency management warning about heavy traffic. We are hoping to get to Idaho Falls or a little bit further north. I've 3 telescopes/devices that I could take including a Celestron 11" diameter scope. A person needs to get within 30 miles of the centerline to experience totality. It won't be worth it to take the big Celestron and there is not enough time or space to set up.

Well, hey, might as well party, https://www.boonvilledailynews.com/news/20170816/solar-eclipse-street-fair-to-be-held-sunday
Citizens and visitors alike will have the chance to participate in the Solar Eclipse Street Fair, which will be held at the Boonville Depot District on Sunday from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.
The family fun day of will be reminiscent of church and family picnics of years past. An array of games will be placed around the grounds. These games, more old fashioned in nature, will harken the days of yesteryear. From miniature golf, an Easy Easel painting class, chalk walk, bubble station, duck pond, train rides, Frisbee toss, bean bag toss, dunkless apples, tic-tac-toe and lawn bowling, these activities will boast fun for any age.

I'm pretty much all set. I'll be heading up to Greenville, SC.

I made my hotel reservation about a month ago and I'll be picking up my rental car tomorrow morning. We'll be leaving FL on Sunday morning around 2-3AM EDT. My fiancee is coming too. Surprisingly, she's just as excited as I am. Neither of us has seen a total solar eclipse before.

I also made sure my eclipse glasses are safe. I got mine from eclipse2017.org and I have already tested them.

Wayco, that was an annular eclipse. I saw it, too, at Bryce Canyon on May 20, 2012. When the moon is more towards apogee in its orbit, it is smaller as seen from the earth and does not totally block the sun.

We are planning to go to Idaho on Sunday and Monday. We got an automated phone call today from the Box Elder emergency management warning about heavy traffic. We are hoping to get to Idaho Falls or a little bit further north. I've 3 telescopes/devices that I could take including a Celestron 11" diameter scope. A person needs to get within 30 miles of the centerline to experience totality. It won't be worth it to take the big Celestron and there is not enough time or space to set up.

So this one is a big deal because it's a "Total eclipse". The little ring will be missing? I guess that's a big deal? OK, never mind. Go ahead and plan for the apocalypse. Is this like the big turn of the century end of the world? Y2k. All the computers are gonna shut down, and our society will turn to anarchy?

Wayne, will all due respect, this is a completely different experience than a partial or annular. It's WAY more than "just the little ring missing". Not least of which, being able to see the corona (and prominences) is rare and NOT possible during partial or annular eclipses. And then there's the atmospherics, moving shadow of the moon, etc. Again, all unique to totality.

There are LOTS of sources online that describe what makes this unique and special...tons of info you could spend hours/days/weeks/months going through if you care to. Here's at least one pretty good description of "what you will see" that just takes a few minutes if you care to look into it further:
https://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/what_you_see.htm

Another very different (and literary) take is Annie Dillard's essay "Total Eclipse"....it might take you some doing to find a version to read, but it's really well done.

I'm a pretty cynical guy most of the time.....but this is something I don't want to miss.

s6

Also, for those of you who say "I've already seen a total eclipse", chances are you are wrong. See this:

There are many kinds of eclipses - total solar, partial solar, annular, and lunar, to name the most common few. Partial eclipses are pretty common, and you very well may have been a part of one of those. Lunar eclipses happen at night, and they can be seen by half the world at the same time! Annular eclipses are much rarer, but you need to have special filters to see them, so many people don't even know they're going on! But a total eclipse -- these are extremely rare, extremely beautiful, and the bare-eye view of totality is absolutely unmistakable to anyone in the thin path! They are the kings of eclipses, with nothing else able to stand in comparison to!

These are the only total solar eclipses that have touched U.S. soil in the last hundred years, and the general locations you would've had to have been in to see totality:

6/8/1918
A nationwide band of totality stretching from the SW corner of Washington, through Denver, the Tulsa/OKC area, Jackson MS, the panhandle of FL, and Orlando.

9/10/1923
Only visible from the far SW beaches and a couple of the offshore islands in California.

1/24/1925
Northern MN, WI, and MI, and about half of NY (NYC was split in two by the path!), plus pieces of PA, NJ, and CT.
Read the New York Times articles about the 1925 eclipse, courtesy of Michael Zeiler!

8/31/1932
Maine, NH, VT, and the far eastern coast of MA.

2/4/1943
Alaska only

7/9/1945
Our "Victory Eclipse" was visible in ID and MT only, in the early morning.

6/30/1954
From northern NE, through the western tip of Michigan's UP. Minneapolis was in the path. Early morning.

10/2/1959
Massachusetts only, just at sunrise.

7/20/1963
Alaska got a good show, and Maine was the only other state to see totality.

3/7/1970
From central Florida, the path hugged the eastern coast of the US up through Virgina's Eastern Shore. This may have been the eclipse that Carly Simon was referring to in her 1972 song "You're so vain". ("You flew your Lear jet up to Nova Scotia - to see the total eclipse of the sun.")

7/10/1972
Northern Alaska only. This might also have been the eclipse that Carly Simon was referring to in her 1972 song "You're so vain". (see above) They were both visible from Nova Scotia! (The song came out in December of 72, so it's unlikely that it was this one, but hey - you never know!

2/26/1979
WA, OR, ID, MT, and ND were the only states to see totality, in the mid-morning. It was cold and dreary, and unfortunately many people did not see the eclipse due to rain.

7/22/1990
This one only touched four small islands in the Aleutians, in the late afternoon: Atka, Amlia, Seguam, and Amukta. From reports we've read, the day was rainy, and unfortunately no one saw the eclipse from US soil.

7/11/1991
Hawaii only, and lots of people were clouded out. (Many people went to Mexico to see this one, and were not disappointed there!)

That's it for total eclipses seen from the U.S.! Anything else you may have seen was not a total eclipse!

s6

I was very close to where you were in 2012 (in Bluff)......saw that "total eclipse" too.
It was very cool.
But it was NOTHING like this:

Tse2006l_39r3_102s_26d33_231n_v1.png

was it?

This is, by the way, what you can see looking right at the eclipse with no filters, silly shadow projections, or any of that. This is what it looks like. Yes it's true that this is a multi exposure shot, but it's still essentially what you see when you look right at it. In fact, some folks say that the actual naked eye experience (or through binoculars or scope) is MUCH better than any photograph, even one as good as this, can capture.

This ain't no cute shadow projected on a piece of white paper.

s6

Back