The Eclipse Apocalypse is Upon Us!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to do the group bike ride Monday, rain held off. But only 4 of us, many regulars drove down to see the total eclipse, or went to eclipse viewing parties. I had drilled 1/4" holes into pieces of plastic, to use as eclipse viewers (pinhole camera style). Sky was hazy, last view of the sun about 40 minutes before closest approach (86% coverage). Then the clouds got thicker, never saw the sun again until sunset. At closest approach, it was darker, but then also the clouds were thicker so it was hard to tell how much was 86% coverage and how much was cloud thickness. Then it started to sprinkle. Got the bike loaded up before it started pouring. So much for my eclipse viewing.

Here is a nice Eclipse video by Casey Neistat. it's not about the science, no special cameras, no great view of the sun and moon during the eclipse....... others had plenty better equipment to try to do that. it's the journey, the excitement, and Casey's video mastery as it happened (there is definitely a unique view he got that I have not seen by anyone else, but I'm sure others did do the same sort of thing. That view begins at about 5:50 into the video, and is intercut with other scenes).

[video=youtube;imxRr8sn118]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imxRr8sn118[/video]

Last edited:
Mere hours after Monday's solar eclipse ended, the patients began lining up at hospitals across America.

In California, emergency physician Aimee Moulin treated a fractured foot on someone who fell off a step while wearing dark eclipse glasses.

In North Carolina, where the eclipse's path ended, emergency physician Bret Nicks' E.R. treated sprains, strains, lacerations and wrist fractures on eclipse viewers so intent on looking up that they failed to pay attention to their earthly surroundings.

And then, of course, there were patients with potential eye injuries like those at Mount Sinai's New York Eye and Ear Infirmary in New York City. "Dozens," said Dr. Avnish Deobhakta, who saw once-happy sky gazers citing headaches and blurry vision. Deobhakta, an ophthalmologist, saw eclipse viewers at his personal clinic, too.

He guessed that many New Yorkers heard you could view at a total eclipse without eye protection, but didn't understand that only applied to places in the path of totality. (New York wasn't one of them.) Others, he said, built last-minute pinhole projectors and -looked through the pinhole- at the sun.

Nurse Practioner Trish Patterson told TV station KRCR in Redding, CA, that no one came into her health clinic with eye damage from the eclipse, but a few had pain from putting sunscreen on their eyeballs.

"One of my colleagues at moonlight here stated yesterday that they had patients presenting at their clinic that put sunscreen on their eyeball, and presented that they were having pain and they were referred to an ophthalmologist," Patterson said.

Back