Loc Iroc For certification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13_Year_old_Rocket_guru

Reaction score
Hi I'm James. I am a 13 year old liar. My dad doesn't have his level 3 not even a level 1. Me and my dad have been working on this build together, because I love rocketry. But I can fly high power. Not even a h motor. I am sorry for all the lies I feed to everyone. I could've just asked the forum to delete this account, but I have gained so much knowledge, and mentors, that it's not worth it. I helped my dad a little bit on this build and would like to clear the air for a better, and more professional conversation on the forum. This will be my DADS level 1 and I have helped along the journey

The Loc iroc in all of its glory: I have to use my computer to upload this. It will be here soon

I also have a couple build questions.

Wood glue or epoxy for LOC kits?

Tripoli mentor program,or NAR jr level 1?( I still can't even get a jr. but I can do the mentor test.

38 or 29mm for certification flight?

i hope now I can progress forward into learning all the knowledge there is on the forum. I will be doing a rocket club at my school. So expect a couple build videos maybe a launch video. I love you guys all, and hope to see positive results.

For LOC (and any wood/paper rocket) wood glue is the best choice. Epoxy can be faster, but there's no need for it.

AT 29mm motors can be shipped without Hazmat, as well as 1 38mm. Almost all of the Loki 38mm H-I motors are USPS shippable.

Tripoli or NAR? Depends on which organization your local club is affiliated with.

And thanks for coming back and clearing things up a bit.

Last edited:
Just a note- not all wood glues are the same. My favorite is Titebond Molding and Trim- very strong, and holds quickly.

If you do go the Titebond (woodglue) route, go to Payloadbay.com and print out a couple fin guide templates. Use those to cut out guides from stiff cardboard or posterboard, and you can be pretty confident that the fins will be set in place properly while the initial glue dries. Then use repeated thin layers to build up fillets when they're fully cured in place.

I've never looked into the difference between the TMP and Jr L1, so you may want to read on those and choose whichever sounds better to you. I joined NAR because at this stage in my hobby, I have zero interest in making my own motors.

Something that's been said repeatedly on the forum: If you have a choice between two sizes of mount, choose the bigger. You can always adapt down for a smaller motor, but you can't adapt up....

If you do go the Titebond (woodglue) route, go to Payloadbay.com and print out a couple fin guide templates. Use those to cut out guides from stiff cardboard or poster board, and you can be pretty confident that the fins will be set in place properly while the initial glue dries. Then use repeated thin layers to build up fillets when they're fully cured in place.

I've never looked into the difference between the TMP and Jr L1, so you may want to read on those and choose whichever sounds better to you. I joined NAR because at this stage in my hobby, I have zero interest in making my own motors.

Something that's been said repeatedly on the forum: If you have a choice between two sizes of mount, choose the bigger. You can always adapt down for a smaller motor, but you can't adapt up....

Hey thanks for the notes. Look forward to using these construction methods. one key feature is that the TMP i can actually get. I am actually only 13, and with my HUGE designer into high power, i can only start on this, then maybe get my jr a little bit down the road. Also I am thinking about lets say a ultimate endeavor, its cheap, accessible, and the instructions are very straight forward. Do you have pictures of a Ultimate endeavor in construction, i always love getting a view of the construction before commitment. Do you know whats happening with polecat aerospace? I would buy from them but they don't have a pdf or a .rkt file for me to examine any of the rockets.

The TMP program allows youths from 12 to 17. A person must pass a test in order to participate, but all the questions and answers are available to study. As a TMP participant you are allowed (working with your mentor) to work on anything your mentor is certified to do. That means that you can get some very valuable experience.
Both programs are fine programs. If you someday want to make your own motors Tripoli is the organization you may wish to join.

Back