sandblasting/beadblasting an FG rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs

Reaction score
So, I have a built FG rocket where the paint job really sucks and I'd like to redo it. Has anyone ever bead blasted a rocket? What would it do to the epoxy fillets, etc?

Yes, I know I could sand it, but that's work that I hate doing :) Plus it's got 8 fins.

There are other media that is more fiberglass friendly .
I would check with a Corvette restorer and ask what they use.
There is also a system that uses dry ice and can be used on circuit boards.

I just did this over the last winter with my 3" Darkstar. I used sandpaper.

In my case it was not as big of a deal as I had built it up to be, once I started. The only place I had to tread lightly was between the split fins, but the rest was straight forward and 150 grit made quick work of it. The rocket was painted with 3 coats of dupli-color paint shop pro automotive matte clear, 3 coats of red and black dupli-color paint shop pro automotive base, 1 coat of dupli-color paint shop pro automotive primer, and three coats of dupli-color mastic filler primer.

Having said that I am always looking for an easier way so I will be interested in seeing whatever method you go with and the results.

Just finished stripping my 3in. rocket, that mach ruined paint.

1.00 chip brush [throw away] old metal paint roller pan. 1 qt of Stripeeeze. I already stripped 3 other rocket with same can. Stand fincan up in roller pan, pour stripper [1/2 cup to start] into pan,, slop all over about a 1.5-2ft section at a time, then move on to next section.....til done. Use old credit card or plastic something to scrape off crinkled paint.

20-30 minutes..if ya know how to use stripper. Wipe residue with acetone or alcohol and ready to paint again.

Easy peasy no damage to fiberglass or fillets, been doing this for years. I also strip phenolic tubes this way. Plain paper....uummmm don't know.

Last edited:
When I repainted my 7 foot Frenzy XL last year I just sanded it. You don't need to take off all the old paint, just rough it up evenly all over with 220 grit so that the new paint sticks. And repair any divots in the finish with Bondy putty. Then before spraying the new colors I sprayed and sanded a new coat of primer first.

Old paint:
20905338944_81e1ddf921_b.jpg

New paint:
32182045126_bf578f345d_b.jpg

I blast with glass beads all my fiberglass parts prior to assembly. Just take off the shine.
Don't go crazy and it won't hurt the parts.

M

I use an aircraft paint stripper. Takes the paint right off down to the primer. Of course, the primer is a two-part epoxy primer. YMMV.....

at the 'day job' we have used corn cob blast medium to strip paint without harming the composite. Paint stripper especially methylene chloride based are a no no.

Mike Kramer

Back