Thunderbird email problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with Thunderbird? Yesterday, it stopped downloading new emails. It usually does it automatically, but nothing. When I click on Get Messages, it says connected to the server, but nothing downloads. I tried restarting in Safe Mode, but still nothing. Any ideas?

Who is your mail provider? What are the server addresses of the email servers? Can you ping/trace route to them?

I've had problems with Tbird ever since I started using it. Usually it'll dl my email once I turn it on, but most of the time, I have to turn it off and back on to get newer email. Then there are the cloaking gremlins. My message will suddenly disappear. It's not deleted, just missing. I have to reboot Tbird to get it back. Now and then, my clients say they never received a file I know I sent. It'll be in my sent mail, but they never received it. Tbird pretty much sucks.

I have been using Thunderbird for years with no problems. Occasionally it will connect to the server and get stuck. This has always been at the server end of the link. I just try again later.

What sort of connection do you have for email? POP? IMAP? Kerberos? Sometimes providers like Yahoo or Gmail change something and it throws clients for a loop. My Gmail accounts via imap are doing fine with up to date Thunderbird.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

What sort of connection do you have for email? POP? IMAP? Kerberos? Sometimes providers like Yahoo or Gmail change something and it throws clients for a loop. My Gmail accounts via imap are doing fine with up to date Thunderbird.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

We have Charter Communication over here and the IMAP is still the connection. This was changed from POP3 a long time ago. I'm certain, it's got something to do with the settings I never really understood. Inboxes have always been a PIA for me.

Dumb question for the OP - did you restart Thunderbird or better yet reboot the PC. The only problems I ever have with TB is when the PC has been running probably for weeks and I will get "the server failed to respond" type message. A reboot always clears it unless my provider (Frontier) is having problems which is more often than the problem being on my end...

The server is Comcast. It's POP, I believe. I use Tbird at home and at work. It's working on my PC at work, but not at home. I have AVG pro on both machines. I need to call Comcast, but am putting it off. I hate calling them.

Dumb question for the OP - did you restart Thunderbird or better yet reboot the PC. The only problems I ever have with TB is when the PC has been running probably for weeks and I will get "the server failed to respond" type message. A reboot always clears it unless my provider (Frontier) is having problems which is more often than the problem being on my end...

It started yesterday, and I shut the PC down every morning. It was still doing it today when I booted the machine. I also restarted Tbird, updated it, and tried starting it in safe mode. Nothing worked.

Can you ping/trace route the email servers from home computer?

Have you restarted your router?

I figured it out. Sort of. I happened to remember that just before Tbird stopped working, a message popped up from AVG saying that I needed to reboot, which I did. I disabled AVG, and Tbird started working again. Not sure what's up with it, I have AVG at work too, and Tbird was still working on my PC there.

Back