Easy to build, cheap 54mm saucer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
Are there any out there? Looking to fly a big motor in a easy rocket. Won't take much to build one. Or maybe a 38mm one.

I checked Art Applewhite's website, he has some good products, but didn't find too many HPR ones.

My budget is $100.

Thanks,

Most 54mm saucers, spools, or other oddrocs are upscales or custom.

Hmm, may have to look into scratch building one; Do you know what materials are used to make a saucer?
Which one is cooler; Saucer or Spool??

Thanks,

Just upscale an Art Applewhite design to accommodate a 38 mm. I built a stealth specifically for testing 38 mm sugar motors.

I used a BT60 coupler as the motor mount and built a thrust ring out of scrap plywood. The only cost beyond that was the pizza that I had to order to get a box.

I built a 29mm stealth out of foam board from Wal-Mart and a piece of PML 29mm motor tube. Holds up fine on 29mm H motors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

The cluster saucer from Applewhite used to come with a 38mm mount. Designing your own should be pretty simple. A similar design for 54mm could be done, but I would use something stronger or at least glass it with a couple more layers.

A Hatchbox 3D printer filament spool is perfect for 54 mm. Very little mod necessary. I will be flying one at Airfest on a 1 grain I motor. If it survives I will send it to you if you pay the postage.

Last edited:
Polecat Aerospace has a 54 mm Wocket but it is over $100

My funk Saucers are 38mm but they were designed for class 1 motors . They are long burn friendly and we have even flown them on CTI I55 ..

H20Waters has been quite the saucer enthusiast and did his own 54mm saucer that flew on a K185

https://youtu.be/NI-HE1nZ3K0

Kenny

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Last edited:
A Hatchbox 3D printer filament spool is perfect for 54 mm. Very little mod necessary. I will be flying one at Airfest on a 1 grain I motor. If it survives I will send it to you if you pay the postage.

Sure, but does that mean it can't fly on J & K motors?

Thanks,

Sure, but does that mean it can't fly on J & K motors?

Thanks,

Don't know. I'm not sure what the speed of plastic is in this case. My guess is good with a J180 or maybe even a K185, but bad things with a K1103.

I'll know more after I burn an I115 in it.

Don't know. I'm not sure what the speed of plastic is in this case. My guess is good with a J180 or maybe even a K185, but bad things with a K1103.

I'll know more after I burn an I115 in it.

I have a K1103X loaded up that you can try...

I have another rocket in mind for that motor, just thought I'd offer it up. I know how much you like the "go fast" birds.

I do, but I love the saucers too. I think I am just attracted to the extremes, but I'm not going to try to hybridize the two...that will just make high performance confetti and a hot, unguided aluminum pipe. My rocket that would take that motor is getting abused with an L1400. Looking forward to seeing what you fly it in.

Art Applewhite use to sell a 54mm stealth. I built one and it is great. I can do 3 and 4 grain 54mm long burn motors in it. Great for small fields!

Art Applewhite use to sell a 54mm stealth. I built one and it is great. I can do 3 and 4 grain 54mm long burn motors in it. Great for small fields!

That would be awesome! What was it made of? (I'm assuming a pizza box wouldn't hold up.)

Any recommendations for scratch building one?
I've built 18mm, 24mm, & 29mm paper plate flying saucers. But, I won't make a HPR one.

Thanks,

Back