‘Possible explosive device’ is from model rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do adult and geriatric psychiatry.
They should make an appointment

Its funny to us, to the un-initiated that nose cone might look just like an artillery shell, and since the majority of people have not served in the military one bullet shaped object looks just like another because they have only seen one on TV. I got a bit of a chuckle out of reading the link too though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Two thoughts:

1) if all you've seen is stuff like this,

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1502929849.604571.jpg
I can understand the concern of the uninitiated..

2) why hasn't anyone started a scale model of a NORK ICBM yet? FOR TEH GRATE GLORYZ OF TEH SUPREME PIZZA WIT CHEZE LEEDER!!

Plus, you could tilt shift film the launch and make for some troll worthy YouTube videos of a NORK icbm launch captured in the west!

It's been 20 years, but when I used to live in Salt Lake there was an Army Reserve base near Eagle Rock area. On quiet days we could hear them training firing artillery. The regular folk must've thought one bounced over to the road.

Has a UROCer claimed it yet?

This is why model rocketry should be mandatory in science classes, and why science classes should be mandatory all 12 years of school.
Or we should refresh this country's population with an upgraded version.
Whichever.

And now I'm waiting to have this conversation with someone in our burg,
"But people could have made a bomb out if it!" you say?
People DO make bombs out of water bottles - how many times have YOU called the bomb squad to report a water bottle on the side of the road?

I stumbled over one of those possible explosive devices in the garage yesterday. The bummer is that it was the top of the nose cone of my wife's Initiator. It just fell off of the rocket which was stored in the garage on a shelf. It separated where the top of the nose cone meets the body tube, leaving the shoulder in the rocket. I have had a dozen Aerotech rockets for years and haven't seen that happen before. I think I can repair it by gluing a tube inside the shoulder that will extend out where I can glue it into the rest of the nose cone.

That's really funny, when you think about it. I am picturing the bomb squad standing around in their padded suits and masks, carefully, inerting instruments under the nose cone to lift it and contain it in an explosive-proof housing. Then carrying it at a max speed of 5 MPH to the police station to be X-rayed. This could be a scene out of a Bill Murray movie.

Really people? A Nose Cone? Really?

https://fox13now.com/2017/08/16/all...loses-pony-express-parkway-in-eagle-mountain/

Paranoia is alive and thriving in Utah! :p
Further proof of the validity of the IQ bell curve and the "quality" of our "educational" system as they relate to extreme susceptibility to a false narrative. Meanwhile, the idiot who reported it drives away at speed, not wearing their seatbelt, in their multi-ton vehicle passing a few feet away from others moving in the opposite direction at speed in their multi-ton vehicles...

from the amount of 'click bait' at the bottom of the story, that assures me it is far from a reliable source, and is truly sensationalism over substance.. fear mongering at its best!

Other recent emergencies in the news:

30700064896_7674726475_o.jpg

30101589803_f869dc43af_o.jpg

That's really funny, when you think about it. I am picturing the bomb squad standing around in their padded suits and masks, carefully, inerting instruments under the nose cone to lift it and contain it in an explosive-proof housing. Then carrying it at a max speed of 5 MPH to the police station to be X-rayed. This could be a scene out of a Bill Murray movie.

Like the Baby Ruth in the pool - huh!?

...Bat-mite strolls thru the crowd, carefully looks at the explosive device, picks it up, puts it on a rocket, and launches it!! LOL

Like the Baby Ruth in the pool - huh!?

...Bat-mite strolls thru the crowd, carefully looks at the explosive device, picks it up, puts it on a rocket, and launches it!! LOL

... Huxter sees him do it, and faints.

Other recent emergencies in the news:
That creates a couple thoughts which connect with a couple thoughts which connect to something kind of tangential and kind of not: the concept of what counts as news in small town newspapers. A book worth reading (and not merely because I know a couple people in it) from a few years ago is titled, Emus Loose in Egnar, Big Stories in Small Towns, by Judy Miller, 2011, University of Nebraska Press, 246 pages.

Back