Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Problem with the PVC halos is you need to provide support some how if you want it adjustable. So far I have been using another set of channel or cut the thing from one pice for that. I am just set on having the rails adjustable. But yours is so clean looking. I like the tower from ChrisAttebery and may use it for inspiration. Similar set up but the adjusting hardware is designed to bolt inside the PVC halo. Winter here is long and my mill is back up and running so that may be a project.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82BC1A42-E977-4FB9-9696-B927089CBF96.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	330313  
    NAR Member
    Class D water rocket world record 417 feet 130 mph..
    Machbuster #8 Mach 1.71 on a G80 5260 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by retortec View Post
    Problem with the PVC halos is you need to provide support some how if you want it adjustable. So far I have been using another set of channel or cut the thing from one pice for that. I am just set on having the rails adjustable. But yours is so clean looking. I like the tower from ChrisAttebery and may use it for inspiration. Similar set up but the adjusting hardware is designed to bolt inside the PVC halo. Winter here is long and my mill is back up and running so that may be a project.
    Your design brings up the issue I am trying to resolve. I've worked on a design that is similar to yours. But there are 9 points that require adjustment between sizes and no easy way to have presets for a specific size to quickly allow for a size change at the field. If you want to break it down for storage or transport it would be a major PITA.

That's what I find so appealing about GrouchoDuke's (the OP) design - it looks easy to setup, should be very rigid, attaches to a regular rail, and no adjusting. Just setup and go.

I've spent a lot of time looking and thinking about trying to make an adjustable tower that would only take a few minutes to adjust out in the field with no success. So now I'm leaning towards a separate tower for each size I want to fly using a design similar to the OP's. If I've missed a tower that is easily adjusted, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tony

why do people put so much stuff in their sigs?

Quote Originally Posted by manixFan View Post
    That's what I find so appealing about GrouchoDuke's (the OP) design - it looks easy to setup, should be very rigid, attaches to a regular rail, and no adjusting. Just setup and go.

I've spent a lot of time looking and thinking about trying to make an adjustable tower that would only take a few minutes to adjust out in the field with no success. So now I'm leaning towards a separate tower for each size I want to fly using a design similar to the OP's. If I've missed a tower that is easily adjusted, please let me know.
    Chris' commercially available one looks to be the most easily adjusted one I've found. The sliding 1010 should be easier to adjust than a bunch of screws/bolts.

After my 24mm tower, I'm planning on doing a 38mm one too. I'm not sure how beefy I'll have to make it though. There are a couple 38mm K motors, so the 38mm tower will need to be quite a bit stronger than the 29mm one. For a 54mm tower like that, I'll need a bigger 3d printer.
    TRA L2. I-class record: "Vanish 29" with an I224, 14,596ft, Mach 1.92. Video here.

Quote Originally Posted by manixFan View Post
    Your design brings up the issue I am trying to resolve. I've worked on a design that is similar to yours. But there are 9 points that require adjustment between sizes and no easy way to have presets for a specific size to quickly allow for a size change at the field. If you want to break it down for storage or transport it would be a major PITA.

Thanks,

Tony
    Biggest problem with an adjustable tower is keeping everything parallel. Eventually I settled on caliper holes in the halos to set the rails. If the rails are straight setting the ends is all that is needed. The mid points float and are locked in place last. Once you have the presets worked out resetting the rails is not that bad. Most of my towers I can reconfigure and ready for launch in less than 10 minuets. Transport has always been a bit of a PIA though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	331961  
    NAR Member

Quote Originally Posted by retortec View Post
    Biggest problem with an adjustable tower is keeping everything parallel. Eventually I settled on caliper holes in the halos to set the rails. If the rails are straight setting the ends is all that is needed. The mid points float and are locked in place last. Once you have the presets worked out resetting the rails is not that bad. Most of my towers I can reconfigure and ready for launch in less than 10 minuets. Transport has always been a bit of a PIA though.
    That's a great way to do it. A 10 minute turnaround is no biggie.
    TRA L2. I-class record: "Vanish 29" with an I224, 14,596ft, Mach 1.92. Video here.

The Tetanus Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by MClark View Post
    The Tetanus Tower.

Not quite sure what I am looking at but is it self adjusting with floating rails like a Versa Tower.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    NAR Member