HVLP Tutorials?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccordmw

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After I use up my last rattle cans, I'm going to try my hand and using an HVLP setup. After a bit of research, I think I'll get the Devilbiss StartingLine kit. Seems to have everything I need to get started.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KSTFJO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I've never ever even held an HVLP sprayer. So keeping that in mind, are there any really good beginners tutorials on the web people would recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you buy do you have a big high CFM air compressor? Hint: if it plugs into a 110v outlet it isn't big enough to drive that spray gun continuously.

Before you buy do you have a big high CFM air compressor? Hint: if it plugs into a 110v outlet it isn't big enough to drive that spray gun continuously.

I have a couple of compressors.

- 10 gallon, 135 PSI, 2.4 CFM compressor.
- 6 gallon, 135 PSI, 2.6 CFM compressor.

I read for continuous spray, you're looking at 6-10 CFM? I was thinking the two I have contain enough of a reservoir?

I have a couple of compressors.

- 10 gallon, 135 PSI, 2.4 CFM compressor.
- 6 gallon, 135 PSI, 2.6 CFM compressor.

I read for continuous spray, you're looking at 6-10 CFM? I was thinking the two I have contain enough of a reservoir?

They do not. A 10 gallon tank holds about 12 CF of air at 140 psi. You will need at least 40psi at your gun so you will only have about 8-9 cf available max. At 10cfm that gives you only 1 minute of spray time before you have to stop. At 2.4cfm you will wait 4-5 minutes between your 1 min of spray time. Unless you are painting very small rocket (in which case that is not the gun you want) its not going to work well. If you are painting a larger rocket or panel you need to lay down your coats in one continuous pass without stopping. Especially if you want to use clear coats.

If I were you i would buy a Harbor Freight HVLP gun for about $16, cheaper if you get a coupon. And learn on that. Once you are happy with your technique then you would need a lower CFM gun to allow you to use your compressor.

Eastwood Concours guns are decent https://www.eastwood.com/concours-guns4 and will give you good spray time and a good finish.

i started doing auto painting with that set. the primer gun still gets used but i upgraded the base/clear gun some time ago to a copper tekna.
the touchup gun still gets used from time to time,too9 you may end up using this a lot of your spraying rockets- it can hold enough to spray one coat on a 4" diameter, 60"" tall rocket. base and primer guns i kept at 28psi at the gun and had a reg at the gun.
but i think those compressors are a wee bit too small, youll only be able to spray something very small before ya run out of air- something the size of an estes alpha.. im thinkin youre probably going to be spraying rockets. you might be ok with a 30 gallon IF the rocket isnt like a pml half scale patriot. but i would honestly suggest a 60 gallon compressor. some good deals to be had on CL.
if ya dont have it yet, youre going to want a water seperator/filter. im not sure what youve used with your air hoses, but if youve ever put oil in the hose or if theyre old, it would be wise to get a dedicated hose just for spraying. very easy for any dirt that could be in th ehose to show up when ya pull the trigger.
heres what i suggest: do NOT start spraying on a rocket or something important. practice on something extremely unimportant.also unimportant paint is wise to practice with- something that would have close to same viscosity as what you plan on spraying.
first things first is gun set up
heres one video,imo, will help you learn setup
[video=youtube;zDDk-pJWrJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDk-pJWrJ0[/video]

once the guns set up properly, then its all about gun control- keeping the gun the same distance from the surface with the same speed of travel, and overlap of passes.

patience during learning is important.

also do some studying on spray gun cleaning.

My best advice for a 1st time sprayer is get a roll brown paper at your local big box store.
Tack it up on the inside of your garage (or outside) and start spraying.
Turn all the knobs, adjust air pressure, change you mixing ratio's, and spray spray spray until you are comfortable with what you are doing.
If your painting a rocket and something goes wrong and you don't know what the problem is, your not ready. Back to the paper on the wall.
Higher pressure, thinner ratio's, wide fan pattern is used for blending or fading colors.
Low pressure and a thick ratio with a round pattern will shoot the paint out like a string (cob webbing).
The world is your canvas in between those 2.
Oh yea, don't try pinching the hose at the gun to regulate air pressure. Get a in line regulator with a knob and ball valve.
Keep the max pressure on your air line it will hold up to.
Run a 25' length of rubber air line off your compressor into a 5 gal bucket filled with cold water, then to the water trap.
Don't be nervous, just buy plenty of practice supplies straight up, and keep the insides of the gun clean.
That means tear it down every use, just don't shoot some thinner through it, and oil the seals. Don't let them dry out!
Good Luck.

Not sure about the Devilbiss gun but my compressor plugs into a 110v outlet and it works fine with my generic TCP Global spray guns. My compressor has a 27 gallon tank and a 1 hp motor, and delivers 7.2 CFM at 40 psi.

26255700953_99d2f0f423_o.jpg

The Devilbiss Startingline gun requires 13cfm at 30psi at the gun per the manufacturer.

Back