Nikon D5500 anybody using one ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michigander

Reaction score
I posted in photo tips traffic looks dead there , forums here look to be Canon crowd
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?142018-Nikon-D5500-anybody-using-one

I've been on the Nikon fence for 4 years , looking at Amazon the D5500 has touch screen for settings

looking at Nikon for Video rumor its better than canon ?

If I go canon route I need to start over on lenses anyway , I have a pile of FD mounts for my Canon AE-1

I have been a Nikon user for 11 years now, and a Canon user before that. I can tell you, they are comparable. Do not let someone tell you one is better than the other, as it is more of a personal preference than anything else. If you already have Nikon gear, I would stay with Nikon. I currently shoot with a D810, and use a D5400 as a backup, and I highly recommend the D5X00 series for their simplicity.

I have been a Nikon user for 11 years now, and a Canon user before that. I can tell you, they are comparable. Do not let someone tell you one is better than the other, as it is more of a personal preference than anything else. If you already have Nikon gear, I would stay with Nikon. I currently shoot with a D810, and use a D5400 as a backup, and I highly recommend the D5X00 series for their simplicity.

Yeah I agree with that. I had a professional photographer once tell me the only noticeable difference is that Canon tends to have deeper, truer blacks whereas Nikon captures more vibrant color. 99.9% of people should be happy with either.

Yeah I agree with that. I had a professional photographer once tell me the only noticeable difference is that Canon tends to have deeper, truer blacks whereas Nikon captures more vibrant color. 99.9% of people should be happy with either.

That would be correct. They are 99% comparable. I am in a relatively large group of aviation photographers up here in the Seattle area, and we are split pretty much down the middle with what we shoot, roughly half are Nikon users, and the others Canon, with the oddball Pentax and Sony user thrown in. There is the running joke that Nikon is the "dark side" of photography, but there really is no merit to that. Like I said in my original reply, it all comes down to personal preference. If you find a system that you like, get it. The only time it doesn't make sense to switch is if you have a lot already invested in that brand. For example, it would make no sense for me to switch to Canon now, since I have over $15k invested in Nikon glass.

Now, lenses are the area where there has been a difference historically. many Nikon prime lenses from the 70's and 80's are highly sought after for their superb optical quality, and they will till work on most Nikon cameras today, and many landscape and portrait photographers who shoot Canon will buy those lenses and use adapters on their mounts so they can use them. But that is about it.

I've been using a Power Shot A520 Canon for all my builds (2) on this forum. As long as I don't get direct light on white areas or shaking hands (from caffeine), I think they turn out generally well. I have posted less than acceptable photos here but I believe that stems from an errant photographer rather than the device itself.

Thanks everybody , I'm sold on a Canon T7i I need to save a few more penny's towards it

Back