Other motor manufacturers besides Aerotech and Estes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascastil

Reaction score
Curious about other companies to buy single use motors, reloads, casings besides Aerotech and Estes that are readily available. Seems a lot of people like CTI but those are not available right now. Ive been using AT reloads and am happy with them just wondering what else is out there that Im not aware of. I got my L1 so and want to have some more options.

Loki,,
It's a dark path,,
If you think rocketry bites,,
Loki bites harder..
Once that fork in the road is chosen,,
there is no way back...

Doubt what I say ???

I'll bet ya anything you'd like to wager,, lol...

Teddy

+1 loki ,up to including "I"'s there is only a couple that have to ship Hazmat helps the wallet if no local vendor

Loki, Cesaroni Technologies Inc. (CTI), Gorilla (was just sold, don't know who new owner is, or if commercial reloads will be sold), Klima (in Germany), Quest (are they still making LPR motors?).

Loki sounds interesting, but their website says they are not taking orders now due to backlog. How do their casings compare to CTI (easy load) and AT (more difficult than CTI)? Also heard something about Loki motors needing a "snap ring" -- what's that? And you need to specify a nozzle?

Loki sounds interesting, but their website says they are not taking orders now due to backlog. How do their casings compare to CTI (easy load) and AT (more difficult than CTI)? Also heard something about Loki motors needing a "snap ring" -- what's that? And you need to specify a nozzle?
Loki is not taking direct orders, however he does have vendors such as Chris Short aka Chris's Rocket Supplies (csrocketry iirc) and Teddy at One Bad Hawk Recovery, both can ship iirc.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Here's a youtube vid showing how to assemble a Loki 38mm motor...
They're extremely simple to assemble...

[video=youtube;xTsFquQWK-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTsFquQWK-c&t=52s[/video]

Here's a link to the 90 degree snap ring pliers I use..
I wouldn't recommend buying cheap snap ring pliers,, these are the best and are expensive at $25...

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/2748/=18xx1iz

5449A96 McMaster Carr part # for the 90 degree snap ring pliers..

Teddy

Loki (and Gorilla, AMW, Fisher Research) cases do not have threaded closures like Aerotech. They use snap rings. The nozzles are reusable and slide in one end of the case, the bulkhead in the other end with the propellant grains and liner in between. Snap rings fit in grooves inside the case to hold everything together. They are really simple to assemble, easier than Aerotech even. The delay is the most difficult and is nothing to it with a few tricks. And you'll need internal, make sure they are INTERNAL, snap ring pliers.

Fisher Research makes motor hardware but for research and no commercial loads are available for those.

Loki would be the other go-to motor manufacturer. They are comparably priced. Only downfall is you have to source igniters/starters as the reloads don't come with them. It adds to the cost a bit but not much. Like was said earlier, they can be picked up from Teddy at OneBadHawk or Chris Short at https://www.csrocketry.com/rocket-motors/loki-research.html. Chris is our local vendor and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and is my go-to motor man. I have never ordered anything from Teddy but he is reputable here as well. I don't think Loki can be flown in California? Not sure where you are so that may not matter.

Mikey D

I just did my L3 on a Loki M900 a week ago. Such a great motor. Teddy handled my recovery harness needs perfectly and I wouldn't hesitate to buy Loki gear from him. The hardware and motor for my flight came from Chris and I was very happy with the service.

I used the pliers from McMaster that Loki recommends. Mine are the straight style, either works for them though. Ease of assembly doesn't get much easier than CTI in 38mm at least. But snap ring isn't much harder.

I use Aerotech, CTI and Loki.

When I launch a rocket with a Loki motor, inevitably someone asks "hey, what kind of motor was that?"

Yah. My first Loki was the 38/240 Cocktail, H125 I think it is. When my flight was announced he said " Oh, its a cocktail. It's a cocktail everybody." Pretty much every eye was on it. And most of these guys fly homemade motors, big homemade motors. It got everyone's attention... And landed on a power line. :facepalm:

CTI motors are the easiest to assemble, although since their factory fire in 2015, supply has been erratic. The reload is already assembled with the grains, fwd closure, and nozzle. You just grease the reload, shove it into the case, and screw on the rear closure. Done.

As we always say to everyone about everything, seeing is better than reading, so go to a club launch and walk around and see other people's stuff. I can't tell you the number of times I have been prepping a rocket at a club launch, and had someone walk up and start asking me questions. Then I get to be a superstar, and they go away with some new knowledge. :wink:

If you do get a snap ring case, be sure to wear safety glasses when removing or installing the snap rings. Most of the time the snap rings snap right in, but if one gets loose you don't want to catch it with your eyeball.

Steve Shannon

If you do get a snap ring case, be sure to wear safety glasses when removing or installing the snap rings. Most of the time the snap rings snap right in, but if one gets loose you don't want to catch it with your eyeball.

Steve Shannon

Snap rings can also be referred to as Jesus clips. I had a 75mm one wiz past my head, what do you think was yelled at the time?

LOL!

Keep your hand over the snap ring when removing/installing. It'll keep it from flying off to never-never land or into your eyeball.

Keep your hand over the snap ring when removing/installing. It'll keep it from flying off to never-never land or into your eyeball.

And you can tell people you weren't using that finger anyway... :)

They really aren't that bad, but they can certainly move if you let them. Using good solid tools helps a ton. I started out trying a POS Harbor Freight setup I already had. Even with 38mm, it twisted up the pliers pretty bad. I immediately ordered the right tool and have been very happy with the result.

And you can tell people you weren't using that finger anyway... :)

They really aren't that bad, but they can certainly move if you let them. Using good solid tools helps a ton. I started out trying a POS Harbor Freight setup I already had. Even with 38mm, it twisted up the pliers pretty bad. I immediately ordered the right tool and have been very happy with the result.

Knipex!

The OP asked about single use motors. If that is what you are looking for, you are limited to Estes, Klima and Aerotech. Aerotech is supposed to be releasing a line of single use 18 mm composite motors under the Quest brand, but they are hung up with production and certification issues. Those are the only options for single use motors.

Like many of the others on this thread, I'm a fan of Loki 38 mm loads. But you are limited to 38, 54 or 76 mm sizes, and while assembly is not as hard as most perceive, it is far from the simplicity of single use. It should also be noted that many 29 and 38 mm Aerotech reloads also ship without hazmat. They are currently trying to certify the first hazmat-free J motor. The closest one can get to single use is CTI, but be sure to find a local source for them, or else the hazmat shipping will eat into your rocket budget.

Yah. My first Loki was the 38/240 Cocktail, H125 I think it is. When my flight was announced he said " Oh, its a cocktail. It's a cocktail everybody." Pretty much every eye was on it. And most of these guys fly homemade motors, big homemade motors. It got everyone's attention... And landed on a power line. :facepalm:

Mikey , you wouldn't happen to have flown in the North East have you ?

The OP asked about single use motors. If that is what you are looking for, you are limited to Estes, Klima and Aerotech. Aerotech is supposed to be releasing a line of single use 18 mm composite motors under the Quest brand, but they are hung up with production and certification issues. Those are the only options for single use motors.

Like many of the others on this thread, I'm a fan of Loki 38 mm loads. But you are limited to 38, 54 or 76 mm sizes, and while assembly is not as hard as most perceive, it is far from the simplicity of single use. It should also be noted that many 29 and 38 mm Aerotech reloads also ship without hazmat. They are currently trying to certify the first hazmat-free J motor. The closest one can get to single use is CTI, but be sure to find a local source for them, or else the hazmat shipping will eat into your rocket budget.

Read it again my man. In the first post:
Curious about other companies to buy single use motors, reloads, casings

Read it again my man. In the first post:
Curious about other companies to buy single use motors, reloads, casings

My bad....Apparently, I'm functionally illiterate.

In that case...Loki, Loki Loki!

Snap rings can also be referred to as Jesus clips. I had a 75mm one wiz past my head, what do you think was yelled at the time?

LOL!

You may also want purchase and carry in your range box spare snap rings. Once they go flying into the tall grass, you may never find them!

Loki has some high performance motors. I still can't get over the fact that the M3464 pushed my WAC Corporal to 9k feet, whereas the M1315 does 5200. I based my sims for the M3464 on the performance characteristics of the M1315 flight, and came up significantly short (~6500)... So this thing exceeded my expectations. I want more!!

Back