Why is metal not allowed to be used to make a rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We fly metal components other than motor cases at BR all the time.

I've been making and flying aluminum av bay bulkheads for years. Because I don't like putting a forward closure thru $600 worth of accelerometers like a bullet, and keeping the electronics in functioning order is crucial to deployment, sometimes even in the event of a failure. Cuz sometimes, poop happens.

Disclaimer: I'm not planning on building a metallic rocket any time soon.

Well, it's just an odd question I've kinda had. NAR says no metal is allowed.
If strictly interpreted as a total ban, most of the BAZILLION low power rocket kits sold since the beginning of the hobby are in violation of NAR's rule due to their metallic motor retention clips. One must therefore realize the intent of the rule - metal things going fast tend to be better at penetrating things they shouldn't, so design accordingly to avoid that.

It is interesting. And somewhere on here I recall a report from a launch event where a wayward rocket, non-metallic, punctured someone's trailer roof.
May even have been another another report at one time where a rocket damaged an automobile.

Might have been my post. A launch of the Estes ARV Condor (two parasite gliders on a core rocket) at one of our launches years ago was pretty scary. One glider did just fine and circled the field. The other nose-dived into a camper shell on a truck and its plastic nose cone punched right thru the sheet metal.

Back