Mid-West Power 15 Princeton Illinois

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, MWP is in full swing...

(Tried to add pics inline but suckwad phone app and browser don't work).

IMG_20171103_155843.jpg

Today was a great day to fly! Skis cleared around 9:15 and was awesome all day regardless of the wind. The Saturn B cluster from Vern was one of the many cool highlights today.

Thanks to the QCRS crew, Jason, Gary, Adrian, Terry Semo and David Reese for the calls and many more volunteers.

Good to see some friends and meet a lot of new ones, being a volunteer is a quick way to do that.

Mike and Patty from MAC Performance thanks for the suggestion on the L640 in the Mac Firestick XL, what a beast and an excellent engine choice - not sure how many G’s off the pad but it was crazy and was by far a Personal Best for that rocket to 13,480’. If you haven’t stopped by his booth to see the new MAC Performance “Rainmaker” please don’t that ones mine [emoji16].

Great to see you Teddy, I
As always

Congrats to Sabrina Sager on her Jr L1 and didn’t even come close to denting Gus’s vehicle.

Gus, man tough break on the race, was all set and ready to rock, but dipping the igniter in that illegal can of Nitro Methane must have snuffed it, or was that slipped in Betsy’s methane maybe I misunderstood. Can’t wait to hear the final numbers on the real launch of that one, oh and thanks for the Twinkie and the 6XL case. CORRECTION - BIG Altitude out of the Guser, heck you built most of it right there on your truck while I watch so no funny business there! I’ll not disclose the results, instead wait for the racers post.

Chris Daunoras, what a flight with your RW, 9300 with the wind is still a spectacular flight - fun to watch and thanks for including me.

Gary D and Joe Grubb, looking forward to coming to OH to fly next spring

Just a couple pics to leave you with

IMG_2899.jpg
IMG_2901.jpg
IMG_2914.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Love the psychedelic rocket!

Wish I could have seen it up close.

From the Ether...

I won't be able to attend MWP. Have a great weekend of flying everyone! Peace and love

This Saturn V flight was incredible :

oDwodoG.jpg

Gus, man tough break on the race...CORRECTION - BIG Altitude out of the Guser, heck you built most of it right there on your truck while I watch so no funny business there! I’ll not disclose the results, instead wait for the racers post.

:eek:
:p Phhhhffft...
Oops...did that just slip out?
:rolleyes:
:p PHHHFFFFFFFFFFFT.

A very special thanks to: Sather R, Eric Cz and, Y:D Adrian for all their help in the recovery!
Wildman Tim Leher for a (free) package of new lighters when mine failed.
To all those who believe in me and, never lost faith.

Thank-you.:eek:

Took lots of photos and video today. Will try and post over the next few days. Also parked a drone over the pads for a couple of hours and got some cool video.

[YOUTUBE]v4cfCdOMqYI[/YOUTUBE]

9A3617F5-893E-451B-975F-4EC6F488080A.jpg6CA5DE79-2E0D-4DBC-A120-B2A1237145EF.jpg

Last edited:
Precipitation chances are 40% today and 80% on Sunday. That's the breaks. At least Friday was a killer day it looks like. Can't wait to see the photos. Kurt

Looking at a video from today: mwpday2.png
It looks quite nice out!

Thanks,

Very busy day, don't forget to breathe...

1. Congratulations to Nikki (Smoke) and Glen (V2) for their perfect Level 3 certifications, and to Sabrina (Nebula) for her perfect Jr L1 cert. Well prepared and flawlessly executed. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

2. Gus soundly and unambiguously spanked me in the "Great Wildman Mulligan Midwest Power 2009 Drag Race Do-Over". Background - in 2009, a field of fourteen 3" Wildmen flew on the Cesaroni L935 Imax (3,146.8 Ns). Gus won by a substantial margin, I was fourth (attached graph). Opened up in 2017 as a re-do to all involved, only two takers stepped up to the plate. Once again, Gus dominated the field. Same rockets, not modified in any way during the 8 year span between events. We used AT K700 White Lightning motors (2,261.0 Ns) from the same lot number. Rockets were inspected and weighed pre-launch. The built motors were exactly the same at 4 lbs, 12.8 ounces. Gus's rocket weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces, mine at 9 pounds, 4 ounces. Gus used an Aero Pack tailcone for motor retention, I used a standard Aero Pack cap. Motors built together, rockets recovered together. Only glitch was Gus chuffed his igniter in the first launch attempt, as I roared into the blue sky and peppered him with dirt. On inspection, it was a bad igniter (ematch blew but pyrogen did not light), so in the fine Mulligan tradition, he got a do-over.

For guys who like numbers... Gus managed to shave almost 2 pounds from the rocket in his build, and quite a bit of drag with the tail cone. In the original launch, Gus flew to 16,278', and I to 12,794', a difference of 3,484'. In the re-match, using motors with 71.8% of the original impulse, Gus achieved 12,353' (75.8%) and I got 10,544' (82.4%), a difference of 1,809' (51.9%). So, I closed the gap a bit, but still lost by a sizable amount. One big victory can be attributed to fortune, repeatable consistent performance is skill. Great job, Gus. Clean kill. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

3. WOOSH attendees got together for dinner and discussion at Prime Quarter in Princeton (great steak house). Informal gathering at Tim's to follow. Late to bed.

4. Thank you to Tim and Jackie once again for being gracious hosts and opening up your home to a ragtag bunch of dusty rocket scientists. And to QCRS for putting this all together... the pre-launch organization, the physical setup of the launch equipment, the daily range operations, all the hard work that goes on behind the curtain that makes the event run smoothly. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Pictures to follow once home, no way to load them on this borrowed (hotel lobby) computer.

IMG_3870.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 7.59.55 PM.png

Here's a frame from the on-board video.

What a great picture Sabrina! :D I look forward too seeing the video when it posts...
Congratulations on your successful Certification flight! It was my humble honor to sign off your paperwork (on the Tripoli side) watching you advance!

I only hope I can be there :eek: for all of your adult Certs. in the future too.
I'll tell you, keep your eyes on this young lady! -;)

Sather- It was a pleasure to take on your challenge in the Wildman redo! You are a true and, dear friend of mine and, it was a pleasure too race with a true gentleman!
Thanks for the trophy to! (Actually the ONLY trophy I have ever won...)
I also appreciate the assistance by Eric C. and, Adrian B. latter in the day with the tracking. Normally I never have any problems locating my rockets but, with someone else back at the flight line on a close frequency to mine-Do us all a favor.

When your done flying your rocket using a radio tracker- TURN the critter OFF for the benefit of all the rest of us!:rant:

Thank-you...

Great to see Teddy again from One Bad Hawk and, too finally meet Mike and, his lovely wife from MAC Performance! Thanks for coming such a long way to be with us and, bring your great products!

Well, the field has been torn down...View attachment 331444:sigh: The Night launch will not happen and, unless there is a miracle- There will be no equipment pulled out to fly.

So where does that leave me?

I'm going to do something I've never done over the last 13 years- I'm going to the Banquet!

Took lots of photos and video today. Will try and post over the next few days. Also parked a drone over the pads for a couple of hours and got some cool video.

[YOUTUBE]v4cfCdOMqYI[/YOUTUBE]

View attachment 331376View attachment 331377

Alex
Very nice picture of my Mad Cow AGM-58 which flew on a AT DMS J450DM motor. I have a good amount of nose weight so it only went 2600' Would you send pictures to my email [email protected]

Thanks
Gary
Old owner of TFRLLC

Rain and fog all day on Sat. 11/4. By 2pm the pads had been picked up and put away. Per Gus's post I'm guessing that means tomorrow is cancelled? Did someone post an official statement?

Yup. Saturday was pretty miserable. I packed up and headed home after 2 when it was clear that the fog would not let up. About 90 mins drive southi was finally out of the fog. My L3 will wait for another day. I hope you all have a chance to fly Sunday. Weather isn't looking too good though.

On the plus side, Tim's trailer was hopping as people were sheltering from the cold. Hopefully, it meant more business. I grabbed a few motors myself. Sadly, sparkies and white thunders were hard to come by. They're too popular. :p

Yup. Saturday was pretty miserable. I packed up and headed home after 2 when it was clear that the fog would not let up. About 90 mins drive southi was finally out of the fog. My L3 will wait for another day. I hope you all have a chance to fly Sunday. Weather isn't looking too good though.

Sorry to hear about your L3, I couldn’t be there today and still hoping to see your L3 flight as I’ve followed your build from the start. Hope you post when your very flight will be - there is always 3 Oaks and Tripoli Mid-Ohio not to faR and of course QCRS. Keep us informed

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Never a Dull Moment wherever Rocketeers are gathered.

IMG_20171104_193044.jpg

Sheeeeoooooot, I'm about 70 miles south and gosh it was clear down here. No fog and clouds cleared up by 2:00.
Pretty mild when I got out by 3:30. Gosh I was going to post the weatherman was on acid but I guess I'm wrong.
What a difference 70 miles makes. Oh well, there's always MMWP and next year.
Prediction for Sunday there is 90% precip and more fog. Looks like Sunday was called and that's the way it goes.
Kurt

Just sitting here at the kitchen table early on a Sunday afternoon...a place i didn't think i'd be at this time...

Eating Chocolate Chip Cookies (cookies make everything better) making noises like a Cat you picked up and, squeezed too hard.
Maybe it was intentional :rolleyes: or maybe unintentional :rolleyes: but, either way the Cat is not happy-

Just wanted to talk about a few people.

Nick Adams (Nick@JET) WARNING If you ever let this individual borrow one of your motor casings- Your going to first off get it back and, second IT WILL be cleaner than the day it was brand new.

So don't :no: toss him your ugliest casing thinking "I'm going to get a brand new shiny casing when he $%#@'s this one up!" :D
He even got rid of the spider webs in mine...

For all of you at the banquet last night. Wasn't that just precious when Dave Porter's grand daughter won that big rocket in the raffle?
That was a priceless moment. ;) You go girl!

To all the people who run the show and, never get the recognition for their time and, effort...

A HUMBLE THANK-YOU! :wave:

Thanks again to The Wildman/Jackie for dreaming/scheming up this great event years ago to not only keep me preoccupied with something non-destructive to do but, a great way too spend all my free earned money!

Hey, :eek: WHAT would you have me do? Playing with Rockets or playing with myse...... Nevermind.:facepalm:

:D:D Hi Jason! :D:D (That was cute.)

Saw some old friends, made some new friends, had a good time in such a short amount of time...Bless you all, have a safe trip while traveling home!

I will see some of you again down the road of life or maybe at Tripoli Central Ohio in a couple of weeks ( I'm on a mission here!) :dark:

I really hope to make it to Midwest Power on of these years.
Steve Shannon

Love to have you here "Boss".
Got this young lady i want to introduce you to.
Her names Sabrina but, i think you know that already...;)

Really miss the Dakota's and, would love to get back up to Big Sky Country again someday in my life!

Love to have you here "Boss".
Got this young lady i want to introduce you to.
Her names Sabrina but, i think you know that already...;)

Really miss the Dakota's and, would love to get back up to Big Sky Country again someday in my life!

Thanks! Likewise you’re always welcome here! Thanks to your posts I do know about Sabrina. She’s very impressive both in her rocketry activities as well as the sensible way she posts. As soon as we instituted the changes to the rules for the TMP M1 Level, I wrote her a PM so she would be aware. I’m delighted she got to take advantage of it.

Steve Shannon

Had a good MWP this year.
Successful flights:
Wildman 3" DarkStar (DarkoStar), AT L1090W = 11,188ft at max speed 1546mph
20171103_093507.jpg
2017 11-03 DarkoStar AT L1090 W.jpg
Mac Performance Black Fly, CTI H255BS = ??altitude at ?? speed... ;-)
20171103_225801.jpg
[video=youtube;kkgIzvoYP3M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkgIzvoYP3M[/video]

Helped Fred get his GORGEOUS 4-stage prepped at the Away Cell... Wish I had video, it was awesome.
20171103_130715.jpg
20171103_133733.jpg

AND... My buddy Glen (djs) got his L3!
20171103_145937.jpg

Back