• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Different motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
I am in search of:
38mm motor, Loki, CTI, Aerotech, Gorilla, EX. So, case, closures, etc.
Any sugar motors. I'm looking for some sugar motors, any size.
I want to buy from here (TRF)
My budget for any of that stuff is $40. I know that's kinda low, but that's all I can work with right now.

Thanks,

Uhh.. you can't really buy sugar motors. People make them as EX motors, but they're not for sale.

Yeah, sugar grains can't be shipped. And you have to be TRA L2 to launch EX, at least at an organized launch. A small 29/38mm EX case might be picked up for about $40, but that's without propellant. And how would you fly it?

Another fun oddball choice is hybrid/tribrid. Those are a lot more expensive to get set up for though. If your club or another member has N2O and GSE, you might be able to fly them certified though. A motor and load would likely be more $ than that though.

With budget and age constraints, I suggest you work on your build skills and fly a lot of G/H/I motors for now. If you want to prepare for EX later, Loki makes some great 38mm hardware and loads that are certified and the hardware is great for EX later. Their 38mm line also ships non-hazmat for most of them. You could also pick up some components for sugar propellant and do ground tests. Keep in mind though, EX comes with the risk of destroyed hardware. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't do it. And any propellant making can be dangerous. If you attempt it, please respect it and try to find a local mentor to help you get started.

Hey folks, the young guy is 13. He can't even begin to touch anything in a 38mm case for a while.

Andrew - loooking ahead is great and a lot of good flyers have started thinking early like you. Get some flight time in and understand what you are asking for before you do.

Andrew, go to an organized launch, there will be lots of people that will let you help them prep there bigger motors. The experience you gain from these guys/gals is invaluable. And having new friends in this sport is another bonus!

Yeah, sugar grains can't be shipped. And you have to be TRA L2 to launch EX, at least at an organized launch. A small 29/38mm EX case might be picked up for about $40, but that's without propellant. And how would you fly it?

Another fun oddball choice is hybrid/tribrid. Those are a lot more expensive to get set up for though. If your club or another member has N2O and GSE, you might be able to fly them certified though. A motor and load would likely be more $ than that though.

With budget and age constraints, I suggest you work on your build skills and fly a lot of G/H/I motors for now. If you want to prepare for EX later, Loki makes some great 38mm hardware and loads that are certified and the hardware is great for EX later. Their 38mm line also ships non-hazmat for most of them. You could also pick up some components for sugar propellant and do ground tests. Keep in mind though, EX comes with the risk of destroyed hardware. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't do it. And any propellant making can be dangerous. If you attempt it, please respect it and try to find a local mentor to help you get started.
I didn't know that their 38mm is mostly non-hazmat. I'm not trying to make my own motors, but I know people who can.
Hey folks, the young guy is 13. He can't even begin to touch anything in a 38mm case for a while.

Maybe, but I have flown many 29mm motors, reload & SU. So, the next step is to 38mm G & small H motors, once I get my TMP. My mentor is willing to guide me along.

Yes, I have been doing research for flying HPR for around 3 years.

Thanks,

You could look at Loki's 38-120 case. Pretty affordable G motors, and the cases could be used for F impulse sugar motors. The only downside is that you have to buy your own igniters for Loki motors.

Yes have been doing research for flying HPR for around 3 years.

Then you should know the answers to many of the questions you have been asking. It's ok to clarify and ask for amplification. However you are asking for things that are so far outside the scope of what is doable that it makes you come across as a wishful dreamer.

And when you are ready, Loki 38mm is one heck of a good way to get started.

Then you should know the answers to many of the questions you have been asking. It's ok to clarify and ask for amplification. However you are asking for things that are so far outside the scope of what is doable that it makes you come across as a wishful dreamer.

And when you are ready, Loki 38mm is one heck of a good way to get started.

Yeah, That's what I plan on, after lots of research, Loki seems the way to go for my first 38mm hardware. I can't find it on there website, but do you know of a starter set that Scott, or someone else would sell?

Thanks,

Why can't your mentor get motors for you? If I were mentoring someone, I wouldn't say, "Go get on TRF and see if someone will sell you motors."

Why can't your mentor get motors for you? If I were mentoring someone, I wouldn't say, "Go get on TRF and see if someone will sell you motors."

Well, I'm sure I can, but I get SO nervous when I borrow something expensive from someone else, because if something goes wrong, I would obviously have to pay for it.
So, I want to be able to own some hardware so that I don't always have to borrow from other people, and so that I don't have to shell out some $$ on short-notice.

I hope you understand my explanation.

Thanks,

Well, I'm sure I can, but I get SO nervous when I borrow something expensive from someone else, because if something goes wrong, I would obviously have to pay for it.
So, I want to be able to own some hardware so that I don't always have to borrow from other people, and so that I don't have to shell out some $$ on short-notice.

I hope you understand my explanation.

Thanks,

get a 29/180, fly the hell out of it.

Back