Level 2 guys, will you level 3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well - I swore I would never get my L2 due to the expense, but then some Black Friday sale got me going... Next thing I knew I had my L2

But L3? No way. Just too expensive... Never gonna happen......
Until Tim offered a sweet deal at LDRS. Kit is now in the shop. Need to start working on my package now.

Well - I swore I would never get my L2 due to the expense, but then some Black Friday sale got me going... Next thing I knew I had my L2

But L3? No way. Just too expensive... Never gonna happen......
Until Tim offered a sweet deal at LDRS. Kit is now in the shop. Need to start working on my package now.

Haha 😁👍

If there is a choice, go for the 98mm. You can always adapt down. Makes it flyable on smaller fields and cheaper reloads, or maxing it out if you choose. You just need to make it strong enough to survive the highest thrust motor you intend to fit into it.

I know I would be wishing I had put a 98mm in if I had gone for 75mm. So would a lot of people I think.

Well, that's settled. 98mm it is. I had no idea they made DMS motors that size.

[YOUTUBE]4egLGCToeD0[/YOUTUBE]

I'm L3 bond as soon as the "right" rocket goes on sale or somebody lets loose of a kit they never started.

I been thinking a Formula 200 or a KA Performer 150 or 200, or possibly something similar from Wildman.

I've been at L2 for about 10 years and have not gotten around to seriously considering L3. It is amazing how many interesting projects that a person can come up with using L2 rockets or smaller.

As I see it, there are two reasons for getting an L3. One is that you really want to fly bigger, heavier things on some regular basis. The other is that you want to prove to yourself and others that you can do it, like some people get their master's degree for the same reason. Nothing wrong with that. I got my L3 just to prove that I could; but then I discovered that I really love flying big rockets, and want to do that more and more as budget permits.

Yeah I'm in a similar boat as Bat-Mite (John) was prior to L3. I'm perfectly content flying J/K and in all honesty I fly mostly F/G. Living in New England narrows the practicality a bit on really big motors due to field constraints. I plan to do my L3 but really only for the experience and sense of accomplishment. I could envision myself being one of those types that flies only one L3 motor in his life.

Yeah I'm in a similar boat as Bat-Mite (John) was prior to L3. I'm perfectly content flying J/K and in all honesty I fly mostly F/G. Living in New England narrows the practicality a bit on really big motors due to field constraints. I plan to do my L3 but really only for the experience and sense of accomplishment. I could envision myself being one of those types that flies only one L3 motor in his life.

I'm just gonna get this H133BS to try it. It's barely even an H and I'll never fly stuff like that regularly. If the case wasn't free, I wouldn't even do it...... I'll be happy flying G's forever.

I'm just gonna get this H133BS to try it. It's barely even an H and I'll never fly stuff like that regularly. If the case wasn't free, I wouldn't even do it...... I'll be happy flying G's forever.

Yeah, it is a progressive disease, for sure. Thought I'd get my L1 on a lark, for kicks. Then I got sick of having to walk so far for recovery, and figured I'd learn DD. So I bought something big enough to put L2 motors in ... just in case. Got the L2, then started seeing people flying huge things at Red Glare and URRF. Said to myself, my next rock it going to have a 75mm MMT ... just in case. Now, there is no going back.

As I see it, there are two reasons for getting an L3. One is that you really want to fly bigger, heavier things on some regular basis. The other is that you want to prove to yourself and others that you can do it, like some people get their master's degree for the same reason. Nothing wrong with that. I got my L3 just to prove that I could; but then I discovered that I really love flying big rockets, and want to do that more and more as budget permits.

For me.. its personal.. The time I spend building could be considered therapy.. or is it therapy I need during the building phase? Either way. Getting my Level 2 was a personal goal I set for myself and next june/july im going to take a stab at level 3. Its hard to explain to people WHY I want to ...and no explaining is needed for the ones who have been there already. The ONLY problem I can see in the future is my worry, I was a mess right before my L2 and it was very comforting to have Al talk to me when he was correcting my test.. it seemed to make all my worry's go away.

Nailed it. If you guess which rocket you'll earn a cookie.

That would take a BIG A$$ hat!

This might work ....

IMG_5713.JPG

For the record, since I got my L3 I usually do 1 M a year. A few years I did 2. It's not that I can't afford it, I've just found that lugging 25-50 pounds of rocket around is not quite as much fun as it sounds.

Don't have the space for a L3 build... at least in this house. And once we buy a new house, I more than likely won't have the budget...

Don't have the space for a L3 build... at least in this house. And once we buy a new house, I more than likely won't have the budget...

I'm building a 4" rocket as my L3. Not too much space really...and we've got the waiver for it in Potter....

I'm building a 4" rocket as my L3. Not too much space really...and we've got the waiver for it in Potter....

Ditto. I got mine on a MAC Performance Radial Flyer. Built with Bob Smith 30-minute epoxy. Recovery was TFR. M1101 took it to 13,000', which was within our waiver.

For the record, since I got my L3 I usually do 1 M a year. A few years I did 2. It's not that I can't afford it, I've just found that lugging 25-50 pounds of rocket around is not quite as much fun as it sounds.

Make some friends! :grin:

Funny, but true, story. When I launched my Formula 200 on an N motor, it came down about a mile away. I asked some friends to help me recover. We walked out, and came to a river that we couldn't cross. Meanwhile, I, being diabetic, got low blood sugar and needed to return to my van.

The other guys said they would get their truck and drive to the other side of the river. I walked back to the launch area and bought a Coke. I had to wait about 15 minutes before I was ready to go back out and join the recovery team.

While I was waiting, another MDRA guy asked me where my rocket was. I said it was out in the field and a crew of guys was recovering it. He said, "Why aren't you out there?"

I shrugged and said, "Well, you know ... I'm Level 3. I have guys that do that for me, now."

I had to grin to let him know I was joking. :grin:

(Epilogue: by the time I got out there, I was still on the wrong side of the river, and my guys were trudging along to the truck with it, complaining about the lead-infused epoxy I'd used. Thanks again, Nate, Gus, and Peter!)

Ditto. I got mine on a MAC Performance Radial Flyer. Built with Bob Smith 30-minute epoxy. Recovery was TFR. M1101 took it to 13,000', which was within our waiver.

My 4" Frenzy for L2 was pushing it space-wise in the workshed... moving it plus a bunch of others to the storage unit once I get the paint fixed up.

For me probably if I can get a higher paying job. As it stands I'm still in high school, making minimum wage, and so I can barely afford a L2. It'll probably be something I do after college, unless I can get everything cheap.

Been in the hobby for a longtime, just not that important to me. You can do a lot with Level 2.
Maybe after I retire and have nothing better to do. LOL

(of course then I'll have the time...and less money).

Last edited:
Back