Level 2 guys, will you level 3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPUTommy

Thrust cures All
Reaction score
Curious as to how many level 2 guys/gals are planning on getting their level 3, have you set a date or is it just something you might attempt down the road?

Yep. Been collecting parts and building for a couple years. I don't plan on flying much commercial L3 right now, but perhaps some EX if I pass.

Date has been floating for about a year, but I have plans to fly it in September.

No, it's not in one piece yet ;)

I'm actively working on my L3 project. I think it safe to say if you see a L3 certification build log, you're looking at an L2 aspiring to spend more money :)

I've been working on my Level 3 project since last fall. If all goes well I will be flying it at Potter in October.

Bob

I have been "planning" my L3 for about a year. The current plan is an extreme attempt by anyone's definition, which is essentially about pushing the limits as defined by TRA. Hoping for 2019 @ Air Fest Argonia as I will need all of that waiver.

My aspirations go well beyond L3, the L3 is just one step along the road.

No current plans but who knows? I've taken a year long break from rocketry and getting back into it now.

I'm currently projecting May 2018 as a possible date for my L3 attempt. Maybe November 2018 if I don't make May.

Very much in 'some day, one day' mode for the foreseeable. I enjoy daydreaming about possible L3 projects, and reading other fliers' documentation, but I still want to fly a lot, lot more H - L, and I imagine/hope that will keep me occupied for many years yet. The rocketeers I admire seem to have found a particular personal 'voice' or form of rocketry in terms of materials, build techniques etc. I'd like to get an idea of my own personal style before L3, so that when I embark on the project it feels an organic development. If I did my L3 now, I personally feel I could only do it as a magnified L2.

I just started mine- 6" wildman v2. L3 flight planned for Midwest power, if all goes well.

Curious as to how many level 2 guys/gals are planning on getting their level 3, have you set a date or is it just something you might attempt down the road?

My wife and I are both L2, have been for a couple years now.

It's the "practical" and "rational" part of me that keeps me at L2. I fly as many low power, L1 and L2 rockets as the budget allows, and we always have a good time. My annual budget for rocketry is probably between 2-3 grand, and includes not only rockets and motors, but travel and hotel for three people.

yeah... it a "money" thing for me - at least until we hit the lotto.

Very much in 'some day, one day' mode for the foreseeable. I enjoy daydreaming about possible L3 projects, and reading other fliers' documentation, but I still want to fly a lot, lot more H - L, and I imagine/hope that will keep me occupied for many years yet. The rocketeers I admire seem to have found a particular personal 'voice' or form of rocketry in terms of materials, build techniques etc. I'd like to get an idea of my own personal style before L3, so that when I embark on the project it feels an organic development. If I did my L3 now, I personally feel I could only do it as a magnified L2.

...anyway, that's how I felt about the whole thing half an hour ago..:wink:

My L3 attempt is in about 3 weeks at Airfest. Took over 2 years to finish the build.

Also, 5 years ago I wasn't planning on moving past 24 mm Estes bp motors. I remember going home after my first club launch (LP/MP only) and saying something to the effect of "those guys are crazy, do you know how much a G motor costs!?" The only thing constant is change I guess.

My L3 attempt is in about 3 weeks at Airfest. Took over 2 years to finish the build.

Also, 5 years ago I wasn't planning on moving past 24 mm Estes bp motors. I remember going home after my first club launch (LP/MP only) and saying something to the effect of "those guys are crazy, do you know how much a G motor costs!?" The only thing constant is change I guess.
Not even the rate of change of the rate of change stays constant, because time is a jerk.

Some day.... 1) $$$$ - my children are approaching the prime 'extracting money from mom and dad zone' (as in high school and college). My rocketry budget can support a once or twice a year 'big L2' flight. Don't want to go to L3 until I can afford to fly in that range once in awhile. 2) Until recently I have had very few flights not go as planned, and trying new to me stuff (electronics, dual deploy, JLCR, etc) has gone pretty smoothly. However, I have had several flights this year where things have not gone well and I am realizing I need more experience and practice before moving forward. 3) I have a lot of things I want to do in the low power to L2 range to keep me busy and interested.

I began planning mine right after getting my L2. Still deciding whether to go with the 75mm or 98mm mount. I don't plan on flying a lot of L3, but want to do it mainly just to say I did.

Still deciding whether to go with the 75mm or 98mm mount.

If there is a choice, go for the 98mm. You can always adapt down. Makes it flyable on smaller fields and cheaper reloads, or maxing it out if you choose. You just need to make it strong enough to survive the highest thrust motor you intend to fit into it.

I know I would be wishing I had put a 98mm in if I had gone for 75mm. So would a lot of people I think.

If there is a choice, go for the 98mm. You can always adapt down. Makes it flyable on smaller fields and cheaper reloads, or maxing it out if you choose. You just need to make it strong enough to survive the highest thrust motor you intend to fit into it.

I know I would be wishing I had put a 98mm in if I had gone for 75mm. So would a lot of people I think.

That's really what I'm leaning towards. I tend to "go big or go home", and think having the 98mm will be a nice option. I'll likely only fly it once or twice a year, so the price difference between motors isn't huge for just a flight or two.

I though I'd never go past L1all it took was my friend to say, I sure want to certify someone L3. I remember my first launch thinking man that's cool but y'all are crazy

When I achieved L2, I thought that was it.... But then I started itchin' for bigger and badder flights. Wound up designing a 7.5" WAC Corporal, then won free CNC services for fins, bulkheads, centering rings, etc., in a holiday raffle, and that's all she wrote. I don't mind that my bird has a 75mm hole, because it helps keep the price down... 5k on a M1315 is plenty fine for me. Plenty of fire, smoke, and noise. I broke down and bought the Loki 75/8000 when I wanted more, and let's just say I got plenty more.. 9500' on a M3464... That was quite the ride. She hangs from the rafters of my garage for now, looking a bit beat up, but she's waiting for another flight.

I have two scale models and two different sets of blueprints set by for my l3, there's just so much fun stuff to do along the way that I keep getting sidetracked.

Here's what I want you all to do. Take the biggest rocket you have and put a full L in it. Launch it, recover it, and then say to yourself, "Crap! One more Newton-second and I'd be Level 3 right now." That will get your juices going.

Bah, been L2 since 2000 and have never seriously thought about it.

There's no way in hell im staying with a L2 and a failed L3... :)

my L3 is being renovated and should fly next year. And this time I'm not going to mess up the wires.

Back