A Memorial You may never see

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Along the side of Interstate 77, in the middle of nowhere well north of Marietta, Ohio, lies a simple marker in a grass field. Even if you're looking for it, it's easy to miss, and I have. But recently I just happened to see it in a day that was fairly sunny, and when the traffic was light enough for me to pull over and try to take a photo with my phone.

I'm sorry this isn't any better but it was the best I could get on a phone at maximum zoom.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1502308953.290365.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1502308976.272162.jpg

Interesting. From Wikipedia:

America then started constructing the USS Shenandoah, designed by the Bureau of Aeronautics and based on the Zeppelin L 49.[78] Assembled in Hangar No. 1 and first flown on 4 September 1923 [79] at Lakehurst, New Jersey. It was the first airship to be inflated with the noble gas helium, which was then so scarce that the Shenandoah contained most of the world's supply.

Eventually the US Navy lost all three American-built rigid airships to accidents. USS Shenandoah flew into a severe thunderstorm over Noble County, Ohio while on a poorly planned publicity flight on 3 September 1925. It broke into pieces, killing 14 of its crew.

Thanks for sharing.

Been driving by that crash site very time I go from Savannah to Sandusky, Ohio for 35 yrs.

Sad day when it happened.

OK people. Look at that Wiki photo and realize that is what 36 tons of air looks like.

Back