G160 Silver Streak Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerostadt

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I successfully flew a G160SS-5 on my PML Ariel on the opening day of Hellfire-22 to about 700 feet. This was an old 38 mm black powder motor with iron filings dated 1994. I got the following information from Greg at Rocketflite:

"In 1991 we switched to an aluminum casing and started adding an elastomer to our propellant so it could be pressed under tremendous pressure. The reliability factor increased to 99%. Unfortunately on the very last production run in 1995 I was forced to rush the production of motors and they left my facility in a wet state. The person who was transporting them in the dead of winter did not bring them into a warm environment so they froze in his car and severely micro-cracked. Infact to make more room in his small car all of the packing bubbles were removed so when his small car hit a bump the shock was transmitted to the motors since his suspension was bottomed out from the weight. Well the rest is history as they were suffering a failure rate that reached 50%. Rocketflite took a humiliating hit from this on what was to be its last motor production before shutting down and moving the production facility to Petersburg New York. The customers who had unfortunately purchased the doomed 1995 motor lot started putting the igniters near the nozzle and discovered that this reduced the frequency of failures by a small margin. That is why there is a conflict out there to this day about where to place the igniter."

I used an Aerotech igniter and put it far forward. On the outside the motor has a cardboard case, but on the inside there is actually an aluminum case. I notice that after firing the motor was hot for the longest time and there was some black scorching on the aft end of the Ariel. Afterwards I found a crack in one of the fin fillets of the Ariel. So, I decided against firing the second G160 that I have, but I am planning to try it next year. The G160's came to me courtesy of the Frank Hunt estate.

IMG_4400.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg IMG_4422.jpg IMG_4424.jpg

Last edited:
Any pics of the flight itself?

Good point! I may have captured the take-off on 35 mm film, but I just sent the film out for developing yesterday. So, I won't get the pic's back until about next Thursday. Hopefully, I captured the exhaust flame, but I won't know until I get the film back. With my own eyes I could see the sparks, which is very unusual for a BP motor.

I did my L-1 on a H220 Silver Streak. A few years later I fired another and placed the igniter all the way up, Its still my best cato ever.

Last edited:
Here's a 5 stage rack rocket using G160s, flown back when they were still available :)[YOUTUBE]sIEKCBRKyZ4[/YOUTUBE]

Unlike today's sparky motors with a lot of smoke and few sparks, the silver streaks (F50, G150, H220) had a little bit of smoke and a lot of sparks.

I got the photo back from Walmart today, but it is not very good. It was taken with an old 35 mm Canon AE-1 using 400 film and a telephoto lens. I have not had a good experience getting the film developed for about 5 years or more.

PML Ariel Sparky.jpg

I fired my last G160SS-5 (Black Powder Sparky motor with iron filings) again in my PML Ariel last Friday (Aug. 3rd) at Hellfire-23. What a big cool BP motor! It is amazing that this motor works so good after being cast over 20 years ago. I have a new camera, but I am not use to taking pictures on the Salt Flats using the camera screen. The screen really picks up the glare from the salt and everything looks white. If you look closely, you can see the sparky motor briefly on the left in the video.

I got the photo back from Walmart today, but it is not very good. It was taken with an old 35 mm Canon AE-1 using 400 film and a telephoto lens. I have not had a good experience getting the film developed for about 5 years or more.

View attachment 325996
I did not know they still make film. //

Up until a year ago I was always able to find film for my Canon AE-1 camera. It was the film developing process that I was unhappy about. I finally sold my film camera about a year ago and bought a Canon digital camera. I much prefer the picture in post #11 versus the picture in post #8 and there is no waiting for the picture to be developed.

Aero, what kind of ignitor did you use and how far up the core did you place it?

I successfully flew a G160SS-5 on my PML Ariel on the opening day of Hellfire-22 to about 700 feet. This was an old 38 mm black powder motor with iron filings dated 1994. I got the following information from Greg at Rocketflite:

"In 1991 we switched to an aluminum casing and started adding an elastomer to our propellant so it could be pressed under tremendous pressure. The reliability factor increased to 99%. Unfortunately on the very last production run in 1995 I was forced to rush the production of motors and they left my facility in a wet state. The person who was transporting them in the dead of winter did not bring them into a warm environment so they froze in his car and severely micro-cracked. Infact to make more room in his small car all of the packing bubbles were removed so when his small car hit a bump the shock was transmitted to the motors since his suspension was bottomed out from the weight. Well the rest is history as they were suffering a failure rate that reached 50%. Rocketflite took a humiliating hit from this on what was to be its last motor production before shutting down and moving the production facility to Petersburg New York. The customers who had unfortunately purchased the doomed 1995 motor lot started putting the igniters near the nozzle and discovered that this reduced the frequency of failures by a small margin. That is why there is a conflict out there to this day about where to place the igniter."

I used an Aerotech igniter and put it far forward. On the outside the motor has a cardboard case, but on the inside there is actually an aluminum case. I notice that after firing the motor was hot for the longest time and there was some black scorching on the aft end of the Ariel. Afterwards I found a crack in one of the fin fillets of the Ariel. So, I decided against firing the second G160 that I have, but I am planning to try it next year. The G160's came to me courtesy of the Frank Hunt estate.

View attachment 325422

View attachment 325423 View attachment 325424 View attachment 325425
everybody knows that for full cored BP motors you ignite them at the top.......hell I knew that over 40 years ago.

Back