Soon to fly my first D motor.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I keep talking: Have you flown a Sprint XL on an A successfully?

If not, (and without sim results) I'm imagining it struggling up on an A8, and maaaayybe popping the chute in time to save it.

No, I haven't done this particular flight myself.

Yup, it'd barely get up there, 50ft or so and the first 5 or so would need to be rod.

I'm definitely not saying it's a -good- idea, just that A-G is -possible-.

One thing to watch out for with an A8 is that if you look at the thrustcurve, it's actually more of an A3... That's why it sometimes has trouble lifting relatively light rockets. It's basically a B4 with a shorter burn time. There's some reason for this, I think there was a change in manufacturing but they wanted to use familiar names.
a8-data.JPG

I want to say its a holdover from A.8 as in .8 lbs.

Think I heard that somewhere, but this is rocketry. A lot of things get heard.

So.....has that D flown yet?

The early metric A8s were actually A8s, in the 1968 Estes catalog they also introduced the A5 in 2 and 4 second delays. The A5s were last listed in the 1972 catalog. I am not when they changed the nozzles on the A8, I think that happened in the late 1980s but definitely by 1991. The yellow igniter plugs fit the nozzles of those A8s perfectly and the igniter plugs were first used in 1992.

Yes, that's right. My first D.

I have flown Micro Maxx, A, B, C, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, and N impulse. But never a D. I have never had a 24mm MMT; so I've flown C6 and E9, E16, etc., but no D.

I just finished building two New Way Spacemodels Higgs Farm kits, graciously donated to me by Tom C. My kids will drag them on C11-3, and then I will put a D12-5 in one of them and complete my journey.

Only O will be left after that. :wink:

Pictures...or we won't believe it. :) LOL

(I remember at the end of the day when Bob U. had a little Estes rocket on the big away cell - and they called for everyone to stand up for a heads up launch. Hilarious.)

Last edited:
And I just got a 5gr Pro 38 case for I's!

You can get baby J's in the 5G 38mm case. The pink is a pretty sweet motor for an L2.

I have a favorite I like using those 18 mm D's in, but unlike the standard 18mm, these get really hot. I've charred the inside of a BT 60 airframe really quickly and burnt the shock cord out twice. I recommend a CA treatment inside your airframe and heavy duty Kevlar.

I'm impressed you got the rocket back from D21 flights often enough to burn out the airframe! My sole D21 flight was on a Wizard that I wasn't really expecting to get back. I did see it descending under streamer far, far away.

I'm impressed you got the rocket back from D21 flights often enough to burn out the airframe! My sole D21 flight was on a Wizard that I wasn't really expecting to get back. I did see it descending under streamer far, far away.

I have one rocket that I use them in (presently) and it a very draggy design. Flies like a beast on these composite D's and always get it back. If it were a more streamlined design, I'd prolly be kissing it goodbye.

Flies great on 18mm D-10's & 21's. It a Goonie version of my design, Fiddle Faddle.

DSCF1708.JPG

(I remember at the end of the day when Bob U. had a little Estes rocket on the big away cell - and they called for everyone to stand up for a heads up launch. Hilarious.)

That's funny. Sorry I missed it.

You can get baby J's in the 5G 38mm case. The pink is a pretty sweet motor for an L2.

If anyone has one in stock, I may try that One Day. No L2 motor shall be flown until Long Tom takes to the sky!

Best times with 18mm D's are in BT-60 rockets with a chute release. B)
That's the only reason I still have my patriot and Redstone

Success!! Success!! I have now flown the mighty D! I can claim every impulse from A thru N.

Back