Soon to fly my first D motor.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Yes, that's right. My first D.

I have flown Micro Maxx, A, B, C, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, and N impulse. But never a D. I have never had a 24mm MMT; so I've flown C6 and E9, E16, etc., but no D.

I just finished building two New Way Spacemodels Higgs Farm kits, graciously donated to me by Tom C. My kids will drag them on C11-3, and then I will put a D12-5 in one of them and complete my journey.

Only O will be left after that. :wink:

I think I flew my first I motor before I flew an E :)

D motors are a nice sweet spot for rockets. It's big enough to lift larger LPR kits, without going too high. Also gives out a nice sound that's a step up from A-C motors.

Just wait till you get your hands on one of those 18mm Aerotech D motors. Those little buggars are hot. I love my 24mm D's though. I use them quite often.

I've flown 1/2A, A, B, C, D, E, F, H and I motors, but never a G. I even have a reload case that would work - never used it.

I've flown:
A, B, C, D, E, F, G motors. Still waiting to fly my first HPR motor which may be an I.
Thanks,

Like is says in the old catalog the "Mighty D" is for experienced rocketeers only! You will be the coolest kid on the block flying that motor, especially if you have some bell bottomed jeans. Outta sight! Dynamite!

Like is says in the old catalog the "Mighty D" is for experienced rocketeers only! You will be the coolest kid on the block flying that motor, especially if you have some bell bottomed jeans. Outta sight! Dynamite!

Or, "DYN-O-MITE!"

I read once that Jimmy Walker was simply supposed to say "Dynamite" in the script, but during rehearsal, he said the famous, "Dyn-o-mite!" and everyone cracked up. When cameras started rolling and they came to that part of the scene, he simply reverted to "dynamite." The director called cut and demanded that he do it like the rehearsal -- and a catch-phrase for a generation was born!

No matter how you say it you will be cool launching that HUGE D motor.

Then one of the neighborhood kids came by and his dad had driven down to Louisville Colorado and bought some of those 29 mm FSI motors. He had snuck it out to show us but it was so big there wasn't a rocket around that was big enough for that monster motor. The magic of the Mighty D had been eclipsed and a new King of the Hill had arrived, but those FSI's were for adults only.

I have a Estes Sprint that I built sometime around 1980. I recently refurbished it and have flown it on A & B motors a couple times. I am almost done building a Sprint XL and a larger upscale Sprint with a 29mm hole. My goal is to fly the Sprint on an A & B motor. The XL on a C11, D and E motor and the 29mm upscale on an F & G all on the same day. Flying the entire low and mid power alphabet in Sprints on the same day.

Last edited:
I hope you can handle it! It'll be something you won't forget. Will make you forget all about that pesky 'O'

A through H this year (I don't do fractions....). Mainly Bs, Cs, Ds, and Gs

I've only flown one F for some reason, and have been staying away from Es until I start using reloads. And I just got a 5gr Pro 38 case for I's!

Funniest first motor experience was watching a previous club president (L3, likes to fly N's, hadn't flown anything smaller than 38) fumbling around trying to put an A10 into a small model he brought for a scout demo.
"Can one of you guys give me some pointers? My igniters are usually bigger than this motor...."

Aerotech D21 in an Alpha- try that

I've actually been thinking along those lines; How few rockets can you use to fly the alphabet?

I can get A-D in a Stratocruiser, and I believe someone could fly E-H on a Star Orbiter, but my experience peters out past H.

Aerotech D21 in an Alpha- try that����

I have a favorite I like using those 18 mm D's in, but unlike the standard 18mm, these get really hot. I've charred the inside of a BT 60 airframe really quickly and burnt the shock cord out twice. I recommend a CA treatment inside your airframe and heavy duty Kevlar.

I remember when the D13's first came out. We were really excited to have "big" engines! We were even more excited when a lot of them CATOd. Lucky no grass fires, though.

I think you should cancel the D flight. Not flying a D should be a badge of honor. If you decide so, I and my Higgs Rocket will rid you of those nasty things.

I think you should cancel the D flight. Not flying a D should be a badge of honor. If you decide so, I and my Higgs Rocket will rid you of those nasty things.

After my kids and Tom drag race on C11-3, you and I should do one on D12-5. I'll be there the 19th. :wink:

I've actually been thinking along those lines; How few rockets can you use to fly the alphabet?

I can get A-D in a Stratocruiser, and I believe someone could fly E-H on a Star Orbiter, but my experience peters out past H.
iter showed us 7 classes in a single bluefin tuba in one day.

F-M in 54mm should be doable thanks to Scott. ( f79 --> m1378 )

After my kids and Tom drag race on C11-3, you and I should do one on D12-5. I'll be there the 19th. :wink:

Can't make it on the 19th. The 20th is 49-51 against my attendance. I'm beginning to think my Higgs Rocket is never destined to drag race. Or maybe it is just waiting to race Tom's, biggun?

Can't make it on the 19th. The 20th is 49-51 against my attendance. I'm beginning to think my Higgs Rocket is never destined to drag race. Or maybe it is just waiting to race Tom's, biggun?

That would be funny! Considering the distance between pads, they might look the same size in a picture.

Aerotech D21 in an Alpha- try that
You go higher and faster with a D21 on an Estes Yankee, I've done it twice, I've yet to recover a Yankee, though I have another kit and three more d21-7's. I actually saw #2 descend, unfortunately it was on the other side of some trees a 1/4 mile out and I was not able to find it.

That would be funny! Considering the distance between pads, they might look the same size in a picture.

We have to set up cameras accordingly! I hope we don't have to fly the LPRs at the away cell due to the current drag race rules. :eek:

I should be done painting my Higgs Farm rocket by next weekend. I couldn't get myself to paint it exactly like Tom C's big Higgs rocket. That's why I never build scale models.

There are conformists, and there are ... people like Nathan. :)

So, Hobby Lobby, apparently, does not sell C11-3 motors. I had to get two sets of D12-5, and I promised my kids the first flights on the Higgs Farm rockets. So my kids will fly a mighty D before I do. :facepalm:

HL only sells a limited range of motors and kits. No C6-3, C-11, D12-3, D12-7, E9-8, F15-4, to name a few. Only buy one pack a day per person with the coupon off their website. Do not get suckered in to buying multiple items unless they are on clearance. Keep focused and walk to the back of the store where only about three isles of stuff are relevant. If you need something else, say plasticine, glue or paint, make sure to buy only one item per visit. Otherwise you might have to turn in your Man Card if you buy silly Chinese home decor items at full price. Buying mighty D's and E's with bad date codes is dangerous enough, flying them can also instill fear. Stick with the high power stuff to be safe:)

Must be 18 years of age to by E motors!

I have a Estes Sprint that I built sometime around 1980. I recently refurbished it and have flown it on A & B motors a couple times. I am almost done building a Sprint XL and a larger upscale Sprint with a 29mm hole. My goal is to fly the Sprint on an A & B motor. The XL on a C11, D and E motor and the 29mm upscale on an F & G all on the same day. Flying the entire low and mid power alphabet in Sprints on the same day.

Better idea - Sprint on D21, XL on E30, F51, and G65, and upscale on H255 & I243...

Back