How many level 3's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I typically try to help set up the range, I've found people with thousands of flights more than me can always use a hand with something, be it loading or recovery. With a team of people you can really speed up and narrow down search areas. Then there's always helping out as LCO so the same theee guys who get stuck doing it can actually fly. Then being around tontesr down pads.

Ive found one or two flights a day makes for a lot of fun, and help when I need it on recovery is always handy, as many friends have helped zone me in on recovery. A phone call to someone saying "you're 50'yards to the south of where it went in" is a good way to get free beers too.

It's not that I couldn't fly more rockets at a launch. I used to launch about five. But I've learned that I'd rather pay for a big motor two or three times a year, and fly less smaller motors. Just my preference. I don't really get into LPR, but my kids do.

It's why you gotta start making more motors...

I typically try to help set up the range, I've found people with thousands of flights more than me can always use a hand with something, be it loading or recovery. With a team of people you can really speed up and narrow down search areas. Then there's always helping out as LCO so the same theee guys who get stuck doing it can actually fly. Then being around tontesr down pads.

Ive found one or two flights a day makes for a lot of fun, and help when I need it on recovery is always handy, as many friends have helped zone me in on recovery. A phone call to someone saying "you're 50'yards to the south of where it went in" is a good way to get free beers too.

Thank you. That's the kind of helpful attitude that makes good launches great!

Thank you. That's the kind of helpful attitude that makes good launches great!

I grew up launching mod rocs alone in the park. When I BAR'd, I got into F42s and F50 and knew I needed more space. Launching with other people was an adjustment, but I quickly learned the community was helpful and friendly, for the most part, and that there was benefit to being around others and not just learn things online and alone. Experiences vary for everyone, and they're all valid... but it's been my experience that even though I lean toward being a loner in most things, that for me, this hobby is slightly different in that regard.

Way to go! How hard did you think the test was?

Steve Shannon

Hi Steve,

The test was pretty hard. I have been going to rocket launches with my family ever since I was a baby. I took the TMP test a few months after my 12th birthday. I studied a lot!! I did get 2 questions wrong.

My Dad (He's L2) encouraged me and helped me study. Also TAP Gus Pipenburg has been assisting and mentoring me for several years.
I looked at the Tripoli website not too long ago, and looked at the TAP directory. I was kinda surprised to see so many familiar names. People I've met at LDRS, and MWP, and Tripoli Wisconsin, and they are always so helpful and nice to me. :D

Me and Gus at NARAM59

Attachments

• 2017-07-30 12.27.35.jpg
    2017-07-30 12.27.35.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 47
Hi Steve,

The test was pretty hard. I have been going to rocket launches with my family ever since I was a baby. I took the TMP test a few months after my 12th birthday. I studied a lot!! I did get 2 questions wrong.

My Dad (He's L2) encouraged me and helped me study. Also TAP Gus Pipenburg has been assisting and mentoring me for several years.
I looked at the Tripoli website not too long ago, and looked at the TAP directory. I was kinda surprised to see so many familiar names. People I've met at LDRS, and MWP, and Tripoli Wisconsin, and they are always so helpful and nice to me. :D

Me and Gus at NARAM59

Thanks for the feedback. How relevant did you feel the test was to what you hope to achieve during the TMP? I know that might be difficult to measure; a gut feeling is sufficient.

My next question would be how many female L3's are there?

I can think of four personally here in the midwest although there are more out there for sure...

1. Judy Lubin.
2. Jenny Gross.
3. Chelsea Maulsby.
4. Diane Dorn.

All are very competent rockteers in their own right.

I'm thinking Kloudbusters has a couple also, but in our male dominated hobby, it's a pretty small percentage.
In our local club, Sharon is the only one who actually flies L3 motors on a regular basis.
I'm trying to remember who the gal was that tried to launch a "P" motor at Airfest two or three years ago. Motor lit and burned the rocket to the ground. I think she built it with her son, but I can't remember their names.

Wayne, that was Judy Lubin and, her son Jackson.

Might be Judy Lubin?

My wife is also going for her L3. Rocket is half built..

DJ, tell her to get on it! We need more good female rocketeers in the hobby!

Wow Pretty cool :cool: I am one of only 39 M's - Makes me feel kinda special :dark:

Guess I should update my Sig

YOU are special young lady...I wouldn't waste a minute of my time if i didn't feel that you were such.

Hi Steve,

My Dad (He's L2) encouraged me and helped me study. Also TAP Gus Piepenburg has been assisting and mentoring me for several years.

Me and Gus at NARAM59

Sabrina- When you can attract the attention of a TRA Board member such as Steve (in a positive way) *hint**hint* that's really good...

1. I apologize for blowing up your rocket at NARAM59. :rolleyes:
2. I apologize for any ensuing damage caused by the conflaguration... :rolleyes:
3. I have a gift for you that i would like you to receive in return. :D
4. I will be at Eat Cheese Or Fly in Vis :eek: Kon :eek: Sin :eek: to present it to you... ;)

Some of us never really hear about the positive things we've done to help other rockteers (especially the younger crowd) but, IF i can change the life of just one person then my job here is done.

Now if you can excuse me, i have ALOT of sanding too do...along with alot of paint to spray today! :eek:

Last edited:
How about Sheri from Sheri's hot rockets?

And how come she doesn't come here anymore?

Somebody share the story.......

How about Sheri from Sheri's hot rockets?

And how come she doesn't come here anymore?

Somebody share the story.......

I don't think she even flew rockets, you can't fly rockets in high heels.

As for the why she doesn't come around any more........don't start that one. LOL.

ya know, every time I see this thread I can't help think of filling in the title; How many L3s does it take to....:)
Rex

Thanks for the feedback. How relevant did you feel the test was to what you hope to achieve during the TMP? I know that might be difficult to measure; a gut feeling is sufficient.

For me it's all about the FUN!:D The test - good I guess, and I did learn new things, but also for me it was a "necessary evil" to overcome on my journey to having more fun. :D:D At LDRS33, ( I was 11) my Mom and Dad helped me fly the "Alphabet". We started on Friday morning at 1/2A, and worked our way up. When I got to "F" (an F32 in a regular Big Bertha) the LCO invited me up to push the button. That was pretty cool! I was having a great time.

Then came the "G" motor in my "Super Science Bertha" rocket with rail buttons. I was a bit disappointed when I was not allowed to assist my dad at the pad (high power pads). I started asking questions, and that's when I found out about the TMP program. The test did help me to understand the increased need for safety and responsibility around High-Power rocketry.

Also with rocketry comes a lot of good "photo-ops" I'm really starting to get into photography now. All these below (however) were shot by my Dad.

[YOUTUBE]9No-TmiLNko[/YOUTUBE]

DSCN0355 (2).JPG

DSCN0356 (2) (1).JPG

ldrs6.jpg

ldrs10.JPG

IMGP6008.JPG

IMGP6091.JPG

DSCN0367a.JPG

For me it's all about the FUN!:D The test - good I guess, and I did learn new things, but also for me it was a "necessary evil" to overcome on my journey to having more fun. :D:D At LDRS33, ( I was 11) my Mom and Dad helped me fly the "Alphabet". We started on Friday morning at 1/2A, and worked our way up. When I got to "F" (an F32 in a regular Big Bertha) the LCO invited me up to push the button. That was pretty cool! I was having a great time.

Then came the "G" motor in my "Super Science Bertha" rocket with rail buttons. I was a bit disappointed when I was not allowed to assist my dad at the pad (high power pads). I started asking questions, and that's when I found out about the TMP program. The test did help me to understand the increased need for safety and responsibility around High-Power rocketry.

Also with rocketry comes a lot of good "photo-ops" I'm really starting to get into photography now. All these below (however) were shot by my Dad.

[YOUTUBE]9No-TmiLNko[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks, Sabrina. I'm very glad you're interested in rocketry. You're what's good about the hobby. Please introduce yourself to me at a launch sometime.
Steve

Steve Shannon

Looking good! I've been studying for a long time, and I think I'm ready for it this fall. A little nervous, but if I pass, my long awaited dream of flying HPR will finally come true. :)

Thanks,

Someone else started it, ya'll know I'm not one to pass up a chance to toot my own horn!!

Attachments

• 20220301_131453.jpg
    20220301_131453.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back