Edmonds Aerospace CiCi glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
Please look under LPR rockets for a posting about this fan favorite.
Why aren't they for sale anymore?

It's too bad they didn't design it for rocket gliding, It looks like the motor is 50 grams which is approx=to an E-6 and at the flight weight of 14 oz if you remove 2 oz for the motor/esc and 4 oz for battery gets you to an empty weight of around 8 oz, which is similar to the dry weight of what my kits have with a similar wing area/loading, however it looks like the battery is pretty far forward for CG so if you tail mount the rocket motor, you are going to have to carry a similar 4 oz battery weight forward for CG, which means you get to an approx 14 oz flight weight again which is a bit piggy for an E-6, you could go with an E-12 if you had a good boost trim, assuming that the model can handle the CG shift with the available elevator trim, if they ever become available again.

Frank

My understanding is that Balsa Machining was making these kits and quit doing so after their move. I happened to see another vendor making an upscale foam R/C version of the Edmonds Ecee Thunder -- https://sawncraft.com/products/aura -- but it was hit by Depron going OOP.

IIRC:

Costs of BMS producing the kits rose over the years.

Designer Rob Edmonds would not approve raising the prices.

BMS does not make kits as loss-leaders, so no point in making kits they would lose money on.

A real shame, very useful gliders and nice kits.

Even I who has designed many many gliders thru the years, have built a number of Edmonds glider kits. And have highly recommended them to others.

Back