Aventurer 3 lug location

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrace

Reaction score
I am building a Madcow Aventurer 3 and these don't come with any instructions which really isn't a big issue as I have built a number of fiberglass high power kits but I wondered where most people were locating the launch lugs? My other rockets that did have instructions were very inconsistent. Some are at cg some way forward and some aft almost at cp. Any rule of thumb? This is a 7' tall 3" rocket. Did a search but didn't really find what I was looking for.
Thanks

I hope you are going to use rail buttons? I go with 1 at the bottom and 1 placed one body dia. below the CG.

My personal preference is the front button goes one caliber fore of the CP. This allows me to use a piece of string on the button for a quick and dirty balance check in the field when I use different sized motors. As long as it is nose heavy or level, it'll go up.

For long and/or heavy rockets I try to put two button near the rear and one about 1/3rd the way up the rocket. The rear ones can go into the centering rings aft and front of the fins. The forward one is preferably in another body section that rotates free of the aft section. That way, you don't have to align the forward button until it's assembled on the rail. The forward one is only there to keep the rocket stable on the rail in the wind without twisting the rear buttons. The two rear button will keep the rocket straight until it has almost left the rail. A single rear button and a single forward button leaves only the rear button on the rail, allowing it to rotate into the wind after the forward one clears the rail.

I hope that all makes sense!

For long and/or heavy rockets I try to put two button near the rear and one about 1/3rd the way up the rocket. The rear ones can go into the centering rings aft and front of the fins. The forward one is preferably in another body section that rotates free of the aft section. That way, you don't have to align the forward button until it's assembled on the rail. The forward one is only there to keep the rocket stable on the rail in the wind without twisting the rear buttons. The two rear button will keep the rocket straight until it has almost left the rail. A single rear button and a single forward button leaves only the rear button on the rail, allowing it to rotate into the wind after the forward one clears the rail.

I hope that all makes sense!

+1
I put the 3rd in the switch band

Latest posts

Back