Flight line orientation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a seriously mistaken approach. The altitudes achieved by high power push them into wind shear territory. This is especially the case in the spring and late fall. Even if the flight line is on the upwind side of the ground wind, it accomplishes little if there's wind shear.

This is the most incorrect statement I have ever read on this forum. If wind is pushing rockets over the flight line- operations should be shut down. period.

The funny part of this WHOLE thread is that I've never personally seen a Launch control officer, Saftey officer or even a participant do anything that would jeopardize the safety of them selves or the spectators. Having been a renegade in my younger years, I know what NOT to do and what results followed, thank God we only played with 18mm's...

I've never personally seen a Launch control officer, Saftey officer or even a participant do anything that would jeopardize the safety of them selves or the spectators

And that's the key. Not a single person on TRF is doing rocketry so sloppily that they're endangering people. We're all on the same page, essentially, in that we want to be safe enough to continue the hobby and not hurt anyone because no one wants that on their conscience.

When we set up for Balls the LCO faced more or less north. This was so the sun would be at our backs.

M

And that's the key. Not a single person on TRF is doing rocketry so sloppily that they're endangering people. We're all on the same page, essentially, in that we want to be safe enough to continue the hobby and not hurt anyone because no one wants that on their conscience.

Dangerous behavior can mean different things to different people. Have you ever seen a rocket launched into clouds? Or rockets repeatedly launched over the flight line even after it was perfectly clear that the wind direction was sending them that way? Or low power rockets waved through the RSO station without an inspection? I have, and all of these things go against safe launch practices.

I feel bad for LCO's. I really do. They're in the position of responsibility to tell people that launching their rocket isn't safe at the moment and may not be safe for the remainder of the day, which is hard to hear for someone who has been waiting for their rocket to fly for months and just drove 3 hours to the nearest club. How many LCO's do you know who will say no to that person? A few probably, but I bet you also know others who will start the countdown anyway. It's especially hard when the last LCO had no problem launching them and then a new shift starts and the next guy has to either stop the flights and throw the last LCO under the bus by explaining why earlier launches weren't safe or continue acting like nothing is wrong.

I think this 2014 training document from the NAR has the data-driven answer that the OP is looking for. Check out pp 19-21. "Very significant risk reduction can be achieved by positioning people and vehicles crosswind from the launch pads."

View attachment Safety in Sport Rocketry.pdf

If you've ever been to a gun range, it's similar in many ways, there is saftey built into the range it self, there are rules in place to ensure the safest place for all who attend, and yet, an occasional ricochet happens, it's what happens when participating in target practice at a range.

To assume being at a rocket launch should be safer than a "safe space" is down right ignorant, anyone that thinks launching rockets is 100% controllable should probably go back to their safe space. Just like driving a car, firing a gun, going to a ball game, living life has it's inherent risks and to expect anything less is wrong.

Back