Ebay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbonerocketeer

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Holy crap they got expensive...they just charges 10% of the selling price.:jaw: That's the last time I sell something there. :mad:

On top of that, unless you offer free shipping, they also hit you up on your shipping fee.

...That's cooperate greed for you.
#1 thing that's WRONG with this country!

Really? That would make a great bumper sticker...

I don't believe anyone...

Held a gun to his head...

To list his product...

They are providing a service...

If you don't like the cost...

Go elsewhere...

Really? That would make a great bumper sticker...

To list his product...

Go elsewhere...

But ... but ... but ... that's Capitalism!!! :y:

Holy crap they got expensive...they just charges 10% of the selling price.:jaw: That's the last time I sell something there. :mad:

I was thinking of posting a bunch of stuff we inherited from our aunt and a few things I've been collecting in the garage. If the fee is now 10% I might just drop it all off at Goodwill. I'm not sure any of it will sell for enough to make it worth my while.

ebay's selling fee's aren't 10%...
They're 11%...
That's why I don't put much effort into selling there...

Teddy

Either this business model will work for them, or it will not. If the prices go back down, you'll know it didn't.

Any good suggestions on where to sell or shop *other* than ebay? I don't mind taking my business elsewhere, if there were somewhere else to take it.

Any good suggestions on where to sell or shop *other* than ebay? I don't mind taking my business elsewhere, if there were somewhere else to take it.

That's the trouble... Where else is there? And if nobody has heard of it, nobody will be buying. If nobody is buying there, nobody will try to sell there. If nobody posts anything for sale there, nobody will look to buy there...

There is a Facebook platform here in Louisville called MamaSwap...

We have sold a ton of stuff there with NO fees...

There are alternatives to eBay...

Amazon third party sales ... however, I don't know if the fees are better or worse.

100% no doubt-- Craigslist...
You can sell anything there,, even hard to sell items..
I have no idea why this is,, but it is definitely my experience..
Scams are a big part of dealing with Craigslist...
Out of the blue you get a message or email asking
"are you really selling a 2015 perfect condition sedan for $3000.00" ???
Someone with great computer skills and nothing better to do hacks into your account
and posts scams to get people to do things that will enable him to run some type of a scam on them,,
and it will begin from your account so he can't be traced..
Craigs list can be a pain in the neck to deal with for sure,,
but you can sell anything there,, and I have no idea why...
I kinda find it hard to believe there's more traffic there then on ebay...
I don't know....

Teddy

I would definitely check Facebook for local swap/garage sale pages, we have a bunch that are very close and I have bought and sold many items through them, no fees involved. Most Police Depts also have an "online exchange" parking area which is under 24 hour surveillance if you get a bad vibe from the buyer/seller.

Even if they don't have a formally setup online exchange location, Sketchy McSketcherson isn't going to meet you in that parking lot in the daylight on a weekday.

we keep cleaned out mostly with church yards sales $ goes to youth programs and food bank

bigger items is Craigslist , Craigslist is horrible for scams etc hard to deal with

Even if they don't have a formally setup online exchange location, Sketchy McSketcherson isn't going to meet you in that parking lot in the daylight on a weekday.

You have to be an idiot to meet with Sketchy McSketcherson. But I've heard Sleazy McSleazerton will actually pay you 10% more than you are asking!

The price of OOP rockets...Just went UP....Again.
Trump needs to take them in the hall and paddle their butts!!!

That's cooperate greed for you.
#1 thing that's WRONG with this country!

Woody, I'm assuming you are saying this a bit tongue in cheek. But at the risk of my misinterpreting, and at the risk of making this even more "political"..........
So you are saying that corporate greed is THE problem, and you are saying that Trump is the guy to fix this? Wow. No really, WOW!

Other ideas:
Muslim extremism is a problem........let's let the Taliban and ISIS fix it!
Insurance costs are out of control......let's let the insurance companies fix it!
Performance enhancing drugs are a problem in sports......let's put Lance Armstrong in charge of fixing it!
Prescription drugs costs are skyrocketing......let's let Martin Shkreli fix it!
Inner city murder rates are rising......let's let the gangs fix the problem!
Industrial pollution is poisoning our water and air......let's let the big polluting companies fix it!
etc.

To list his product...

Go elsewhere...

I just wanted to take this extremely rare opportunity to say that I agree with Kid's sentiment here. Not sure this has ever happened. I like it.

s6

Woody, I'm assuming you are saying this a bit tongue in cheek. But at the risk of my misinterpreting, and at the risk of making this even more "political"..........
So you are saying that corporate greed is THE problem, and you are saying that Trump is the guy to fix this? Wow. No really, WOW!

Other ideas:
Muslim extremism is a problem........let's let the Taliban and ISIS fix it!
Insurance costs are out of control......let's let the insurance companies fix it!
Performance enhancing drugs are a problem in sports......let's put Lance Armstrong in charge of fixing it!
Prescription drugs costs are skyrocketing......let's let Martin Shkreli fix it!
Inner city murder rates are rising......let's let the gangs fix the problem!
Industrial pollution is poisoning our water and air......let's let the big polluting companies fix it!
etc.

I just wanted to take this extremely rare opportunity to say that I agree with Kid's sentiment here. Not sure this has ever happened. I like it.

s6

I once worked with a guy who used to say--
"never underestimate the value of really good entertainment"....

I'm a lille damp...

Teddy

I openned an auction site that was free twice and no one used it. Is there interest?

Yes and no...
eBay does some good things with your money like buyer protection, free email and telephone assistance...
It would be cool, but unless it became something with some traffic, and fairly quickly, it will die. Maybe if a significant portion of the for sale ads from the yard sale here went to your sure I would follow, and possibly post stuff for sale.

Back