Pushing an LPR as a MPR upper stage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, rebuilding the fin can...

I’m opting for fin pockets this time.

IMG_0210.jpg
IMG_0210.jpg

The fins are 2 pieces of 1/32” plywood, epoxied together. And then papered, using TB2 instead of relying on the paper’s adhesive.

The Apache fincan is slightly bigger than the motor, so this time I went for slightly more scale appearance, and cut 4 panels of BT55 to go between the fins. That makes little channels for the rear edge of the fin to sit in, aft of the fin tab. I’ll epoxy fillet, too.

IMG_0213.jpg

Different failure this time. This was the result of a H133 to G65 flight.

IMG_0436.jpg

The Nike Apache just looks so pretty during boost. But I keep running into issues.

For this flight, I’m undecided if the coning from the moonburner G65 did in the BT55 airframe, or if the nosecone came off due to drag separation at burnout and the high velocity blew the payload bay apart and bent the main tube.

IMG_1534771355.954699.jpg

The Nike boost came down all beautiful, like normal.

I’ll probably rebuild another time, so it looks good on the shelf, if nothing else.

Different failure this time. This was the result of a H133 to G65 flight.

View attachment 359955

The Nike Apache just looks so pretty during boost. But I keep running into issues.

For this flight, I’m undecided if the coning from the moonburner G65 did in the BT55 airframe, or if the nosecone came off due to drag separation at burnout and the high velocity blew the payload bay apart and bent the main tube.

View attachment 359957

The Nike boost came down all beautiful, like normal.

I’ll probably rebuild another time, so it looks good on the shelf, if nothing else.

Can't really tell from the pics, but I've had stellar success on cardboard tubes using "shear tape" to keep things in place until needed. Friction fit only gets you so far.

I've found .75 ounce fiberglass in the past at Hobby Town in Lake Geneva. Little tricky to work with the really thin stuff but even a single wrap might not be a bad idea. Should add very little weight and allow the use of small styrene shear pins if you think that might help hold up better to the inevitable side loading?

Back