WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ANTI-DRAGRACE SENTIMENT???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are gonna drag race, do it on a track, not on the streets.

So someone has taken it upon themselves to get drag races eliminated from all High Power launches. Except for Midwest power and other self insurers. What an idiot! :dark:

Wow, I hadn't heard.

If you are gonna drag race, do it on a track, not on the streets.

So what's your problem with simultaneous launch? Has there ever been an accident? Probably? But was it the direct fault of launching more then one rocket simultaneously?

So what's your problem with simultaneous launch? Has there ever been an accident? Probably? But was it the direct fault of launching more then one rocket simultaneously?

Oh, I was just being a smart ass. I have no problem with them and don't think this should affect MDRA.

Yes who is coming up with these new rules. I hear no one under the age of 18 is permitted at the HP pads. Is this true? Why do some people want to drive the membership down?

It was bad enough when we were limited to Drag races with smaller motors.... I need a higher initial thrust to offset the drag of the fluttering skirt and handbag.

Communication style aside, the two sides of the coin are fairly straightforward. Those against see an increased risk in a bad event occurring - from a collision changing trajectory angle under boost to safety challenges in tracking multiple ballistic descents. Those for drag races want the competition and fun. One can argue the 'against' reasons are unlikely to happen but concede that they are greater than zero. In the end, the incremental addition of safety concerns tipped the decision threshold over the 'for' group.

This whole debate has played out on TRF more than once.

It won't affect MidWest Power either or other self insured launches. Just NAR and Tripoli.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Midwest Power (QCRS) is no longer self insured. All QCRS/TQC launches are Tripoli research launches and conducted within TRA research safety codes.

According to the doc posted from Tripoli, section 6.3 still exists, multiple simultaneous launches? I checked NAR website and no mention of a rules change...

Yes who is coming up with these new rules. I hear no one under the age of 18 is permitted at the HP pads. Is this true? Why do some people want to drive the membership down?

Gary, respectfully, not having minors at the pads is not going to drive down memberships. When I got in the hobby at age 12, I was able to go to the pads. For me putting the rocket on the pad was a minor detail, not the height of my excitement as a youth. The time spent with my dad and the overall participation in the hobby was far more important than activities at the pads.

Ever see an altimeter go off at the pads? Ever see a rocket motor light near people at the pads? Yeah... me too... ;) I stood 15' feet from a full N motor due to a neat "continuity check", **** can and does happen at the pads. Kids being present at the pads is a "would be nice to have" not a requisite detail to having fun.

Let the record state that drag races at Midwest Power launches will be conducted in the scope of the TRA research rules... sorry folks...

Last edited:
Clarification please . I did not see a new rule for no drag races . All I saw was the rule that a mass launch , more then 3 , has to be twice the safty distance , was removed/crossed off . Please show me where it says no drag races .

Eric

wow that's crazy...I never saw any harm in drag racing rockets. Heck I got my L1 and so did my friend on a drag race. My SUMO against his G-FORCE.

I agree they shouldn't eliminate this...how ridiculous!

I am sure that I'll be emasculated for supporting these regs, but good. Drag races are an unnecessary display that greatly increases risk in an already risky hobby. We all agree to the inherent risk of a singular launch, I'm happy if we cap it at that.

Last I checked, our hobby emulates that of the professional realm. I don't see SpaceX clamoring to drag race because it's "so cool, yo, much roar!!!"

Take a step back, hit the capslock key, and at least consider that there is a VERY strong counter argument.

here-we-go-again-meme-15-maker.jpg

I don't think anyone got into the hobby strictly to drag race, so I don't see no one quitting the hobby because of it.
It is a shame, but instead of No Drag Racing...How about a mandatory distance between pads for safetly?
A minor at a high power pad is a good safety rule. However...
NO ONE under 18 is un-called for.
I can see it being at a more reasonable age, say the age of 12?
How else is our youth going to learn the ropes and made away of safety procedures?
And what about the Junior Certification Program?
How is this going to effect the program if one can't put their own rocket on the pad and turn on required electronics?
I can see the hobby loosing people here.
With anything, there are risks. Common sense comes to mind.
Foolishness has no place anywhere where safety risks are involve.
As well as Foolish Rules in a place where everyone uses common sense.

MClark, perhaps you are involved with the wrong hobby.
Perhaps you should join your local knitting club where you can mandate blunt needles so old ladies with Alzheimer's don't hurt themselves.

Then how is someone like me supposed to launch a high power rocket with my junior certification if I'm not allowed at the pads???????

I don't think anyone got into the hobby strictly to drag race, so I don't see no one quitting the hobby because of it.
It is a shame, but instead of No Drag Racing...How about a mandatory distance between pads for safetly?
A minor at a high power pad is a good safety rule. However...
NO ONE under 18 is un-called for.
I can see it being at a more reasonable age, say the age of 12?
How else is our youth going to learn the ropes and made away of safety procedures?
And what about the Junior Certification Program?
How is this going to effect the program if one can't put their own rocket on the pad and turn on required electronics?
I can see the hobby loosing people here.
With anything, there are risks. Common sense comes to mind.
Foolishness has no place anywhere where safety risks are involve.
As well as Foolish Rules in a place where everyone uses common sense.

MClark, perhaps you are involved with the wrong hobby.
Perhaps you should join your local knitting club where you can mandate blunt needles so old ladies with Alzheimer's don't hurt themselves.

Did you even read the Safety Code before responding?
It doesn't ban drag racing, it gives a safe distance.
6-3 When three or more rockets are to be launched simultaneously, the minimum spectator and participant distance shall be the value set forth in the Safe Distance Table for a complex rocket with the same total installed impulse, but not more than 610 m (2000 ft), or 1.5 times the highest altitude expected to be reached by any of the rockets, whichever is less.

Members under 18 and in the mentor program can go to the pads under certain conditions. This is derived from the insurance .

I got a big laugh from your last statement.

M

Then how is someone like me supposed to launch a high power rocket with my junior certification if I'm not allowed at the pads???????

Read the image Salvage 1 posted above. If you are in the mentor program you can go to the pad supervised.

M

Back