LOC Caliber ISP questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
I have been interested in the Caliber ISP for a couple of years. I see that it has a 54mm motor mount. But I want to know, do you guys think it can handle K & L motors?
I want to get a cheap 54mm MMT kit and stick a K motor in it. Is this the right one?

Thanks,

There's two questions here:
1. Can you?
2. Should you?

1. If you build it strong enough- it might be able to handle a K motor or an L motor. However, if your sig file is right, you haven't built/flown anything over a G motor. I would work on being able to construct rockets that can handle smaller motors first.
2. Let's say you build the rocket and get certified so that you can fly a K motor in it. You're probably looking at at least 6k of altitude. How are you going to find this thing afterwards?

The Caliber is a 3" kit - and LOC themselves only rate it up to a J motor. As I am not at home I looked it up on thrustcurve (there is one built stock you can view, and 38mm motor, and 29) and nearly every J motor gets it into transonic danger zone with most hitting mach. I would not put a K motor in my EZI 65 which has fiberglassed fins and is a 15 ounce heavier rocket so no way I put one in the Caliber. If it survived, it would hit alteast 6K - that's not easy to see on a 4' tall 3" diameter rocket - plus winds get funky up high. You likely wouldn't see it again. I would focus on a level 1 flight on a H or I before dreaming on an L.

I 'sleeved' an entire loc Caliber with couplers, it shredded 1k feet off the ground on an L1000. I wouldn't try it again, or waste my money in that fashion.

Caliber ISP could take a K185. Don't skimp on epoxy, though, and make sure you add nose weight. I've seen an EZI 65 take a K1100.

I have a Caliber and it's smaller cousin, the Forte.
The Caliber I glassed and has flown on J's a few times.
The Forte ( number 2 ) has been CF ( just wish I went with a 54 mm instead of the 38 mm it came with).
I'm sure with the proper building techniques it can fly on bigger motors.
You will have to upgrade the couplers or else it will fold.

JD

The Caliber is a 3" kit - and LOC themselves only rate it up to a J motor. As I am not at home I looked it up on thrustcurve (there is one built stock you can view, and 38mm motor, and 29) and nearly every J motor gets it into transonic danger zone with most hitting mach. I would not put a K motor in my EZI 65 which has fiberglassed fins and is a 15 ounce heavier rocket so no way I put one in the Caliber. If it survived, it would hit alteast 6K - that's not easy to see on a 4' tall 3" diameter rocket - plus winds get funky up high. You likely wouldn't see it again. I would focus on a level 1 flight on a H or I before dreaming on an L.

Seen ezi-65 on multiple k flights, stock built. They work fine

Back