Estes Shuttle #7248

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For altitude I just taped on an Altus metrum micropeak altimeter to the wing. They only weigh two grams or so.

Frank

Last edited:
Dynasoar rocket glider designs are first rate: well thought out, can handle standard receivers and micro servos, and can take a reasonable size battery for the receiver. Also have very good instructions.

Shuttle:
I have wondered about an "up-size" shuttle. Maybe use the Estes design to make one twice as big.

Seems like most of the videos out there are with custom built shuttles and rockets and are considerably larger than the Estes kit. I have only watched a few Dynasoar videos but they are very well done.

If you aren't going to do a full stack, doing an RC rocket glider of a shuttle isn't too hard, in an upscale, I have basic plans on my site for one that can be detailed to look buran like or space shuttle like. They don't glide very long, but it's a shuttle.....

SHR's back in the day offered a nice shuttle stack and for awhile there I thought Hanger 11 was working on a kit. Not to many companies offer a shuttle stack aside from ESTES and Dr Zooch

The Shuttle full stack's that I've watched on YouTube do not glide very well and flights are short. It is unique to have one land under RC rather than glide at the mercy of the wind and thermals. The glide flights of the rocket gliders are definitely longer and appear to be more challenging for the guy at the controls.

p.s Completely forgot about the Soviet Shuttle (Buran) and it's mysterious demise.

I really like the 'look' of the Shuttle. I have wondered if a larger (2X or 3X) version of the Shuttle, by itself, would be a viable model.

How does this glider fly compared to the original kit ESTES had out many years ago. It looks like a nice looking kit.

I think what would be cool is do an upscale version of it.

Back