Danger Close - some pictures and video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
I got a bit bored so thought I'd share a few pictures.

Third flight of my rocket Danger Close. This was the bird I built for level 1 cert.
This was an AT 218R to 1995 feet. Previous flight was on an I245G to 2421 feet. That video came out very blurry. I had the camera set to underexpose in an attempt to bring out the flame a bit on this flight, which is why the rocket is so dark.

Danger Close on the pad.jpg Danger Close on a red 1.jpg Danger Close on a red 2.jpg

Onboard video: the video quality is actually a lot better than this. It downgraded when I uploaded. Be sure to play it at 240p, that's as high as it will go unfortunately. The video froze up about halfway to the ground. Still recorded audio but something got knocked around and came loose. I haven't fooled with the camera since.

[video=youtube;NyxcfwzgEKM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyxcfwzgEKM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This was the third launch of my Wildman Sport as well. My altimeter lost connection under boost on the G76G. It actually suffered less damage on this flight than it did on the G53 when it deployed early. After that flight I had to cut about 3/4 of a inch off. But after this one there was no damage to the rocket at all. Only clear coat "sanded" off the nose cone. My Altimeter 3 was destroyed but the RRC2+ and JLCR were not harmed at all.

Wildman plant.jpg

"Here in Louisiana we don't build our rockets. We grow em." LOL.

Enjoy.

Mikey D

Thanks.
No there wasn't a build thread. I have a pretty bad case of CRS, and a short attention span, and would forget to take pictures or forget which camera they were on. The build was pretty straightforward. I have some pics of parts of the build I'll try to locate. I wrote a flight report with pictures, but some of the pictures have gone away for some reason. But the video is still there.

*edit* I fixed the pictures on that thread.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-D-is-level-1!!-Flight-reports-pics-and-video

I'll post some of the pictures here later today.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra pictures. I like yellow/black as a colour scheme - but the field I fly at is often surrounded by oil seed rape crop, so yellow's not such a good idea for improving chances of recovery... so far I've stuck with red/black, blue/black and one still in the pipe's going to be white/black.

I keep saying I am gonna do a red one and never do. I am just finishing up my Tyrannosaur which is Emerald Green Metallic with black decals. I have one waiting to paint that will likely be black and white.

More of Danger Close. I don't have that many pics of it. The fins were based on the Quest Mean Green rocket. I used a small "Oxidizer" symbol for my CoP.

danger close u1.jpg danger close u2.jpg danger close u3.jpg

Sled: hacked up an old blowgun for charge canisters.
sled 3.jpg

Flight graph from the I245G
FlightGraph.jpg

The only non standard things I did to the rocket was foamed the fin can and the way I attached the lid to my nose cone. I used three #8 or #10 rod connectors (couplers) attached inside the nose cone with filled epoxy and countersunk #4 screws. Was a real PITA tapping the sides of those couplers let me tell ya. And in the fin can I epoxied a piece of aluminum flat bar to the centering rings and drilled and tapped it for my rail buttons. Overkill maybe but they won't pull out. I thought I snapped pictures of that but cant seem to find them. My nose cone bulkhead is removable so I can throw a tracker in there when I get to flying high enough to warrant a tracker. 2500' seems to be near the edge of my ability to see this rocket.

I hand stitched my harnesses using a stitch awl and 1/2" tubular nylon from strapworks.com.

It flies drogueless dual deploy.

The rocket is in storage ATM but I'll be dragging em all out my next day off getting prepped for the September launch. I can get more pictures.

Here is the Wildman Sport before it got planted. As I was loading it on the rail that day one of the guys told me I spent way too much time on the paint.

26 closeup fin 1.jpg 29 rocket.jpg

Thanks for looking and taking in interest.

Mikey D

I laid down black as a base coat and wet sanded it with 400. After it dried I put on the purple and pretty thick. Didn't have to be concerned with runs and what not. I first tried wrapping with Saran wrap and pulling it off but the paint set up too fast. I ended up blotting both colors on/off with a wadded up Walmart bag, or Saran wrap. The bag was stiffer and pulled better. And then several coats of clear and lots of sanding.

I did a build thread on it but the pictures are no longer there. I'll have to go back and repair it.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123879-Wildman-Sport-build

I love that little rocket. I never did make it dual deploy, with the relase of the JLCR I didn't need to. I did put an altimeter in the nose though.

Back