Removing CA from vinyl decal?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to removing CA from self adhesive vinyl decals? Spilled some and I don't want to ruin the vinyl by rubbing acetone on it.
I tried it on a test piece of vinyl and it was really difficult to take off the CA and the melted glue got spread around even more, dulling the vinyl.
Also I don't want to ruin my paint job since it's almost impossible not to get acetone smeared on the surrounding paint.

Sanding the hardened CA doesn't seem like a good idea either--too close to the paint.

Ideas? Someone must've come across this same problem and found a way to solve it?

I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual answer is "just leave it", although maybe there's a trick.

If the vinyl were on for a very short time I'd say pull it off and replace it, but once the adhesive has had time to settle in I wouldn't try it. Yet another possibility is to put another piece of vinyl over it, although that's not really too appealing. Both suggestions require that you have a replacement piece available, which may or may not be the case.

How bad is it?

My first thought is "leave it" anything you do will only make it worse..

But, when I get CA on my fingers (I do a lot of CA building, mainly RC Planes) I soak my fingers in hot water. it tends to soften it enough to start peeling it off. Try soaking the blob with some hat water. A sponge with hot water, repeat to keep the area toasty hot.. worth a try..

There is a 'CA Remover / debonder' but it might just be a variation of acetone though.. check your local hobby shop... (or local hospital, as there is always someone who'se glued their eye shut!)

I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual answer is "just leave it", although maybe there's a trick.

If the vinyl were on for a very short time I'd say pull it off and replace it, but once the adhesive has had time to settle in I wouldn't try it. Yet another possibility is to put another piece of vinyl over it, although that's not really too appealing. Both suggestions require that you have a replacement piece available, which may or may not be the case.

How bad is it?

Not too bad, just a large drip/glob. It just bothers the perfectionist in me. I think all of us in the sport tend to be; we've got artist, craftsperson and designer mixed in there with the ingenuity/engineer/problem solver qualities.

My first thought is "leave it" anything you do will only make it worse..

But, when I get CA on my fingers (I do a lot of CA building, mainly RC Planes) I soak my fingers in hot water. it tends to soften it enough to start peeling it off. Try soaking the blob with some hat water. A sponge with hot water, repeat to keep the area toasty hot.. worth a try..

There is a 'CA Remover / debonder' but it might just be a variation of acetone though.. check your local hobby shop... (or local hospital, as there is always someone who'se glued their eye shut!)

I have got to stop rubbing my nose while handling CA. :surprised:

Thanks for the advice, worth a try.

They make stuff that dissolves CA, so if you stick your whole palm to a counter you can still have some skin left when and if that happens.. never again..

I worked with someone who got glued to the floor. He was the supervisor for a local tape manufacturer (mind you , this was years & years ago!!) the vat of glue got bumped & fell over, spilling it's contents over the floor. He had to cross it and eventually lost his footing. Smack! on the floor, and he couldn't pull himself up. He as found a few hours later, passed out and removed from said floor.

he complained that he could never remember anything after that, and used it as an excuse for a few 'brain farts'.. but in reality, his mind was pretty darn sharp! he remembered quite a bit!

I worked with someone who got glued to the floor. He was the supervisor for a local tape manufacturer (mind you , this was years & years ago!!) the vat of glue got bumped & fell over, spilling it's contents over the floor. He had to cross it and eventually lost his footing. Smack! on the floor, and he couldn't pull himself up. He as found a few hours later, passed out and removed from said floor.

he complained that he could never remember anything after that, and used it as an excuse for a few 'brain farts'.. but in reality, his mind was pretty darn sharp! he remembered quite a bit!

Fasten-ating anecdote. Sounds like he was real attached to his job alright and just found himself in a sticky situation one day.

Back