AMW RED FiberMAX™ Kit - with head end dual deploy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red arrow points to shear pin hole, yellow is an in index hole for alignment, and the blue arrow is for venting. :)

View attachment 335762

Got it! Are you planning a single shear pin for the nose cone?

Nice job on drilling clean holes in the fiberglass. I’ve had problems with it fraying on the back side of the hole

Also are you planning on painting the entire rocket?

I will be starting on my max soon, the tip of the nose cone on mine is a little rough and going to require some putty to smooth it all out. I am just trying to decide if I want to go traditional RDM paint or mix it up...

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Nice job on drilling clean holes in the fiberglass. I’ve had problems with it fraying on the back side of the hole

I will be starting on my max soon, the tip of the nose cone on mine is a little rough and going to require some putty to smooth it all out. I am just trying to decide if I want to go traditional RDM paint or mix it up...

My method is to press a piece of PVC pipe solidly against the inside of the tube, then use a bradpoint bit and drill all the way into the PVC. No fraying that way.

I'll be documenting that in my upcoming (re)build thread for my Formula 200. Because it is an 8" tube, I took a 2x6 board, duct taped a 2.5" piece of PVC to it, and shimmed it up with tongue depressors.

Its going to get primed and painted. In my opinion, it will look better with the decals if it were painted and clear coated proper like. :)

(3) 2-56 shear pins in the nose, none on the drogue end.

No shear pins on the drogue end? Hmm? That seems unlike previous discussions we have had about shear pinning anything you want to stay together- what has changed your mind on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I am building one of these right now. Thinking about using the nomex honeycomb skins. I bought them, and some extra scrap material honeycomb material to experiment with beforehand. Mine is also a dual deploy. Motor mount and fins are already in. I did not really like the bulkeads, though I am sure they would work fine. I did not want to use the hole in the middle of them, so I made new ones from G10 and some 7mm BB ply, 2 pieces of 5mm stainless threaded rod with lifting eye nuts as end fasteners and attachment points for the harness. I used 2 pieces of threaded rod through the centering rings with lifting eyes on them also, for the lower connection point. I will be installing a bulkead in the nosecone for an attachment point. I increased the switchband to 2.75" for a little more length, and will be using 3 x 2-56 shear pins for both the nose cone, and the drogue end.

Thanks for posting this thread. Looking forward to seing the final results.

No shear pins on the drogue end? Hmm? That seems unlike previous discussions we have had about shear pinning anything you want to stay together- what has changed your mind on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Its not my rocket, building for Gary P. I'll discuss it with him and see what his preference is before I zip more holes in the airframe. I want to give him the chance to use tape, if that is in fact his preference. :)

Very cool build Justin. Thanks for posting. Got this kit for Christmas, will be my first go at HED.

FYI, the aramid honeycomb skins that AMW sells for this kit, are awesome. I just finished installing them on mine after much debate and little first hand information.

The material is relatively easy to work with and gives a huge amount of additional rigidity to the fins. The amount of finishing work will go way up, but the fins feel less like toys now.

FYI, the aramid honeycomb skins that AMW sells for this kit, are awesome. I just finished installing them on mine after much debate and little first hand information.

The material is relatively easy to work with and gives a huge amount of additional rigidity to the fins. The amount of finishing work will go way up, but the fins feel less like toys now.

Please post some pics!

Please post some pics!

Is this worth another thread? I felt like pics would be helpful, as finding information specific to using this material in rocket fins is pretty limited, but do not want to hijack this thread? I will shoot some pics and post in the next few days. A new thread might be appropriate.

Also, I am still in the finishing 'design' stage, as this material requires more than just laminating the honeycomb. The leading edge treatment will require some skill, and is critical in either 'making or breaking' the final result. Right now, I will be laying up some carbon fiber on these skins, and some contouring. I just spoke with Robert, this morning, and he shared some ideas on how he has used this material in some pretty high test flights.

Is there a particular reason the vent hole is on the aft separation joint instead of in the middle of vent band?

Typically, I would drill shear pin hole(s) for the drogue in addition to having the vent hole on the aft separate joint. IMO, the advantage is, the top lines up with bottom/booster one way and one way only. That way, shear pins holes can only line up one way and you are not "searching" for the correct hole when prepping the rocket. In this case, I'll leave it to the owner if they want drogue shear pins or not. Either way, the avionics bay/nose cone lines up with the bottom/booster only one way. I put the single vent hole on the side opposite the rail for ease or arming as well.

Additionally, short answer to question is, habit. :)

Is this worth another thread? I felt like pics would be helpful, as finding information specific to using this material in rocket fins is pretty limited, but do not want to hijack this thread? I will shoot some pics and post in the next few days. A new thread might be appropriate.

Also, I am still in the finishing 'design' stage, as this material requires more than just laminating the honeycomb. The leading edge treatment will require some skill, and is critical in either 'making or breaking' the final result. Right now, I will be laying up some carbon fiber on these skins, and some contouring. I just spoke with Robert, this morning, and he shared some ideas on how he has used this material in some pretty high test flights.

I think it's worth another thread if you're up to it. I wouldn't want to sidetrack Justin's thread anymore than we already have.
Any pics you can take between initial bonding and final finish would be much appreciated. I have no experience with nomex honeycomb skins and would love to build a RED FiberMAX with them.

Justin, I've been enjoying perusing this thread. I just ordered this kit and can't wait to get started. Thanks for the suggestions for dual-deployment. I've been kicking around ideas for dual-deployment and I think this will work great.

Steve Graham
TRA 09417 L-3

Justin,

What is the purpose of this threaded insert and screw? Is this a rail button mount?

Also, did you every finish the build? The posts petered out in 2018.

I will be building one of these in the near future, and I'm looking for as many pointers as possible.

Thank you,
Zeke
Correct, PEM Nut rail guide mount. The project was finished and flown.

Back