Ejection Charges

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys only knew what those comments are doing to my mind.. I feel sick to my stomach... hahahahaha

Here's your warm fuzzy: there's no one right way to do things. Different strokes, etc. Lots of options. Find what works for you and get good at it. It's okay to fail along the way, as long as you learn from it.

Here's your warm fuzzy: there's no one right way to do things. Different strokes, etc. Lots of options. Find what works for you and get good at it. It's okay to fail along the way, as long as you learn from it.

A lot of people prep at the field. I did it for years and launched a lot of rockets that way. Along the way, I learned that it's better for me to pre-prep everything before hand. If you have to do it on the field don't worry about it. It might actually be wise for you to have someone look it over as a double check before you button it up.

Well, I burned some powder today..lol, the rear ejection was good, and the main was duplicated 3 times, I'll upload the video in a bit.. I'm still in my pacing mode..

20170728_172121.jpg

The video looks good to me. Also, as others have already suggested, I'd recommend doing as much prep as you can at home where you have more time to think and hopefully fewer distractions.

Well.. it's official, I finallyg realized what I forgot, the application!! Hopefully there is a CVS or Walgreens where I can print one off.. uggh !!!

He's sitting in his car in the driveway trying to convince himself to go. Like Cameron in Ferris Buellers day off

[video=youtube;CdcFYNe9U7A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdcFYNe9U7A&sns=em[/video]

I GOT MY CERT!!!! LEVEL 2
I kinda "went big or go Home type of flight.
I certified on a J335 red, hit 7,068 feet on one altimeter and 7,146 on the other, dual deployment worked, and rocket recovered minus some paint on the leading edge (which makes me very happy!!)

Pics and video to come!!

On one other note, my deepest thanks to you guys, your input was the difference today.
Tom

Waiting on pics and video will be up tomorrow, been a really long day and wife has "celebration" planned for me so needless to say, movie and bed..

20170729_141324.jpg

Congrats!
But was it worth all that stress?

well.. in a way.... yes.. All self induced.. I figure I have a year to work on my L3 now... Oh boy.. LOL !!!!!!

The guys at the field were outstanding which made it much easier on my nerves..

Im blessed..

came to the conclusion.. That GPS is going to be a requirement.. as well as planning a vacation around somewhere that has a higher waiver..

:)

came to the conclusion.. That GPS is going to be a requirement.. as well as planning a vacation around somewhere that has a higher waiver..

:)

MDRA ... just 7 hours SW, and we have 17,000' from November to April.

I'm glad it worked out for you and it was a pleasure to see how happy you were after you found your rocket.
You're welcome for the feet/meters thing, too; even NASA get that wrong every now and then.

Midwest Power! Wonderful weather in Northern IL in early November, 16k waiver, and miles of open field to recover in (and very few trees). 3 days of flying!

I second the advise from John about prep-prepping your rocket in the comfort of your shop. Nothing is more nerveracking and frustrating than taking a half finished rocket into the field and prepping it onsite.

This is what I want to reach. I waste way too much time at campsites/hotels on the way to the launch site and more once I get there. I'll stop short of loading the ejection charges but all the rest makes sense.
I just went to a launch and one of the best photos someone took showed me on my "bench" at the back of my truck. I spent most of the launch dicking around like that.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I GOT MY CERT!!!! LEVEL 2
I kinda "went big or go Home type of flight.
I certified on a J335 red, hit 7,068 feet on one altimeter and 7,146 on the other, dual deployment worked, and rocket recovered minus some paint on the leading edge (which makes me very happy!!)

Pics and video to come!!

On one other note, my deepest thanks to you guys, your input was the difference today.
Tom

Congratulations!! There's a lot of flying and experimenting that can be done on L1 and L2 motors. Enjoy!

well.. in a way.... yes.. All self induced.. I figure I have a year to work on my L3 now... Oh boy.. LOL !!!!!!

The guys at the field were outstanding which made it much easier on my nerves..

Im blessed..

Congrats on the L2!!!!

If you want to do the L3 in the next year, go for it, but if you want to play with L2 for a while, that is really cool too. I spent 6 years as L2 before I did my L3. I'm still spending most of my time exploring L2 because there is so much there I haven't tried yet.

It's funny you ask about my level 3, I downloaded and printed the packet today, and have been doing some reading/research on it. I figure ill give myself about a year to take a stab at it. 7/16 level 1 7/17 level 2 7/18 level 3 ???

Back