Igniters for clustering with Ester Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Concerning the new estes igniters and their ineffectiveness, I have an idea. Instead of messing with coating them, why not simply insert the igniter and add a little pyrodex/black powder in the nozzle. Then plug with tissue and tape. OR... place the pyrodex/black powder in the nozzle first and then insert the igniter? I feel like that might be a little less reliable than igniter first before powder but both methods could be tested. Of course the pyrodex/black powder used would have to be fine enough that it could get between the nichrome of the igniter and the exposed BP of the motor. Thoughts?

Concerning the new estes igniters and their ineffectiveness, I have an idea. Instead of messing with coating them, why not simply insert the igniter and add a little pyrodex/black powder in the nozzle. Then plug with tissue and tape. OR... place the pyrodex/black powder in the nozzle first and then insert the igniter? I feel like that might be a little less reliable than igniter first before powder but both methods could be tested. Of course the pyrodex/black powder used would have to be fine enough that it could get between the nichrome of the igniter and the exposed BP of the motor. Thoughts?
I think you'll find the loose powder to be far more difficult to manage than dipped starters.

Back